Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I am sure this has been discussed but I can not find a clear answer in a thread posted in this forum. I tested the O2 Manipulator for a few months and it did a great job smoothing out the throttle response on my GT. However, I am not crazy about the throttle lag I get sometimes and don't like the idea of a none Ducati approved part that interferes with the sensors on my bike.

So I took the manipulator off (and will be selling it) and now need to smooth out the throttle another way. I was told the DP ECU that comes with the Termi kit helps. But how much does it help? $1200 is a lot for something that only helps smooth the bike out a little bit.

Can anyone speak from experience here on how the their bike rides now after the DP install?

My main concerns with the bikes throttle now:
1. Abrupt on off throttle response
2. Need to modulate the throttle a lot to execute slow turns in 1 and 2nd gear

All the above leads to difficulty in city, slow speed, and traffic riding conditions.

Any input would be great. By the way do all Ducati's have ruff throttle response or just the DS engines?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Did you check your throttle cable play? I recently discovered that I was imeasuring mine wrong and consequently had way too much. I adjusted it to about 1mm or so, which is just barely discernable play, and it really reduced the lag and abruptness, and helped to modulate those low speed turns.

Kind of a pain gettiing a 10mm wrench onto the locknuts given their location, but the 8mm adjuster nuts can be hand turned so all in all, not too tough. I put a little masking tape on the 10mm to avoid scratching the frame.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cesare57 I will look at the cable slack and adjust if need be. However, I still think the bike will have throttle smoothness issues.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It definitely didn't eliminate the roughness. For example, I still get some surging riding in 20mph school zones in 2nd. The biggest benefit I got was smoother starts from a stop, smoother low speed turns, and smoother shifts in gears 1-3. I'd say these areas improved maybe 50-60%. I'm still considering the Fat Duc, but like you, have concerns about it.

I may just learn to live with the situation and consider it the slight skittishness characteristic of a thoroughbred:D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The cable makes a BIG difference. I was really surprised how much of a difference it makes.

I did the cable adjustment before my Termis arrived. If I recall correctly, the cable made a bigger difference than the Termis, but both things contributed. Together, it was a huge difference and way better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I will definitely check the cable when I get home. If I recall there is a good amount of play on the throttle grip before it catches.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Due to my accident and the delivery time for the new exhaust, i run the OEM silencers with DP ECU and lid…

The engine runs extremely smooth, even under 3000 rpm with the original sprocket…

Adjusting the cables does enhance throttle response but take care in tight bumpy corners…;) you might twist the throttle without wanting it

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My main concerns with the bikes throttle now:
1. Abrupt on off throttle response
2. Need to modulate the throttle a lot to execute slow turns in 1 and 2nd gear
No problem, you just bought a Ducati. Welcome to the club.
Although changing sprockets can help you, you just need to learn to ride it.
I had it on my 996, have it on my sport 1000S Biposto and have it on my Paul smart.
I guess it's just like that and although slipping the clutch to cut the power can help you, you have to learn to turn it by the mm.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the advice, but as I stated before, I just cant get a clear answer on how much of a difference the DP ECU makes.

The O2 manipulator worked well; does the DP ECU make the same difference or more?

I had the bike now for about 7 months and almost thought about trading or selling for a more sporty Ducati but I just like her to much. If I can just smooth her a little more she be fantastic.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The devil's in the details...

Up front, I can't answer your question re the DP ECU, I don't have one. But if I may, I wonder if you might be looking in the wrong place for a cure.

My '07 GT had the same issues, abrupt throttle, surging, backfiring, the whole mess. The first step was having the dealer change out the USA ECU for a EURO ECU. This was a major improvement with much improved low end throttle response. I don't know for sure, but it seems they're allowed to have a slightly richer bottom end over across the pond. The second step was dialing in an '02 manipulator. It took some time to get the setting/air bleed correct, but this further improved the low-end response.

My GT still isn't perfect on the bottom, but it's MUCH improved. I'm now coming up on the 7500 mile service, and from the threads I've read, the combination of setting correct valve tolerances, correct belt tensions, and balancing the throttles usually does a lot for overall running.

You haven't told us how many miles are on your ride. I think from your description of problems that your money will be better spent making sure the tuning is spot-on before you spend big $$ changing hardware. If all's well and it's still not to your satisfaction, I understand there's a WASP PUK in the works for non-DP ECU equipped bikes that should be appearing in the not too distant future..

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
All the belt drive Ducatis that I've ridden hate low revs and are completely different to the ancient bevel drive twins that run happily at very low revs. I assume this is down to bore/stroke ratio and flywheel weight. The best belt Ducati that I've ridden is my 620 Multistrada, which will run happily at low revs, and that engine has a relatively long stroke.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
The essential mods

HI I had to chime in....
First almost all Ducatis are geared too tall.... go to a 14t front or add 2 to 4 teeth on the rear and the whole game changes.... this thread may not even have started.. (assuming nothing is "wrong" with your bike)

Second Ducati engines especially the 1000DS were designed for the Termignoni exhaust,, that is to say if it was not for emission standards etc Ducati would have shipped the bike with these exhausts,,,, Consider the termis essential for optimum performance..and this includes the DP ECU

Changing these two things will make your bike run like it should if Ducati were allowed to build it the way they wished to IE without government constraints...:think::think::think::think::think::think:
IMHO

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT 1000 14/39 with Ohlins F&R Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice, but as I stated before, I just cant get a clear answer on how much of a difference the DP ECU makes.
The O2 manipulator worked well; does the DP ECU make the same difference or more?
I don't know if you're going to get that answer. People who have used the O2 manipulator seem to be very satisfied with it. People who have a DP ECU have no use for the manipulator, so people who have had both on the same SC are going to be a rather tiny group.

You may just have to make do with the information we've gone to the trouble of giving you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I do like the way the O2 worked, just as I said before, I am not thrilled with the fact that its not an approved aftermarket part.

I will most likely be getting the Termi kit with the DP ECU. I dont want to mislead anyone, the bike is great, its just very different from anything else I have ever ridden.

I pretty much forgot about the throttle issue since I had the O2 manipulator installed very early one. It was just when I took it off that I noticed how different the bike rode. Either way I am happy it the most unique bike I have ever owned.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I don't know if you're going to get that answer. People who have used the O2 manipulator seem to be very satisfied with it. People who have a DP ECU have no use for the manipulator, so people who have had both on the same SC are going to be a rather tiny group.

You may just have to make do with the information we've gone to the trouble of giving you.
Maybe I am the only one ...

I first installed the O2 Manipulator on my bike, and found it to be a huge improvement, and overall was very happy with the bike.

But as I had plans for a custom made exhaust, I wanted to get the best out of the system and was very lucky to have a second hand DP ECU become available just before I had the new exhaust made. With the new exhaust, opened up air intake and DP ECU, it is a whole new increase in performance.

I did ride the bike briefly with the stock exhaust, but with the DP ECU fitted and the airbox air intake opened up. This definitely was an improvement over the O2 manipulator, but I didn't ride it enough in this state to make a proper assessment.

In summary, both the O2 Manipulator and the DP ECU do improve the bottom end performance. I guess if you just look at the bottom end performance, there is not much difference between them, with the DP ECU slightly better. But with the DP ECU, you get so much more than just the improvement at low revs.

I don't think I have ever experienced the throttle lag that you talk about.

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
369 Posts
I might buy the O2 manipulator from you, how much? WHat I do is keep it in first in low speed zones if it surges. For the 90 degree turns, working the clutch helps out; slip it a bit more and give a bit of throttle. Or, pull the clutch in at the most precarious moment.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I might buy the O2 manipulator from you, how much? WHat I do is keep it in first in low speed zones if it surges. For the 90 degree turns, working the clutch helps out; slip it a bit more and give a bit of throttle. Or, pull the clutch in at the most precarious moment.
Hey JLGT1K,

Yeah I am going to sell it I just have not had a chance to put in the Classified section. I bought if a guy on this board who did the same thing (used the O2 Manipulator until he purchased a the Termi Kit). I bought it for $75 shipped and will sell it for the same (It comes with the original printed instructions sheet).

As for me, if anyone has a DP ECU for sale please PM me as I am very interested.

Thank guys!

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
It's probably worth mentioning that there are other things that could be causing the poor low rpm throttle response. Specifically, the TB balance or, more likely, the idle trim setting or air bleeds. Might be worth getting a talented tech to hook it up to the sniffer and get the CO levels and balance somewhere in the ballpark. TPS setting could be off as well, and it is about 30 seconds work to fix that.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
. . . I was told the DP ECU that comes with the Termi kit helps. But how much does it help? $1200 is a lot for something that only helps smooth the bike out a little bit.

Can anyone speak from experience here on how the their bike rides now after the DP install?. . .
giogolf - The webbikeworld guy had the same problems and replaced the ECU with the Euro one and was very happy. Interestingly, he was able to do this N/C under warranty because according to his dealer, there was a recall on the stock one (This was written in late '07).

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-motorcycles/gt-1000/ecu-throttle-body/ecu-throttle-bodies.htm

I'm wondering if any US riders here replaced the stock ECU with the Euro one under warranty. Seems if this option was available a lot of people would be going this route rather than getting the Fat Duc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts