Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the rider weights only 63-65kgrs??

some say that ohlins will work better than the showa because they can be adjusted more but some say that the showa will be better for me since they are softer...

what is your opinion??

·
Bon Vivant
11,231 Posts
In my experience if both are set up as well as possible for your weight (that includes using the correct springs)
the ohlins will be more compliant and keep the rubber on the road just slightly better than the showa.
Ohlins can be tuned to you somewhat finer than the showa, that gives them an advantage.
Ohlins have a characteristic of being firm and at the same time compliant, that's what separates them from the rest

The key is to get the system adjusted properly and install the correct springs both front and rear -
you got the good suspension; now you just have to set it up.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks fot your answer...
i didnt get it though...you mean that i might have to change the spring witha softer one and then i can make the proper adjustments for the suspension to work well?

that is what i was worried about, if ohlins would be too stiff for my weight and needed a spring change...i dont thing showa will need a spring change, i had showa suspension from ZX6 to my Z750 and it worked well after the preload and sag fix...

·
Bon Vivant
11,231 Posts
Well yes, you "may" have to change springs on either system to get them set properly.

But I don't think the showas have a softer spring rate from the factory, they just dampen differently and feel softer.

You may want to check the sag on both before you decide. But to do it right be prepared to change springs either way. Unfortunately not all of us fit the "Average" these bikes are set for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the rider weights only 63-65kgrs??

some say that ohlins will work better than the showa because they can be adjusted more but some say that the showa will be better for me since they are softer...

what is your opinion??
I weigh about 66kgrs and I could not get enough sag for street riding on the rear suspension with the Ohlins on my SFS (the front was fine). I changed to a softer spring. I can't speak to what might be needed with the Showa.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I weigh about 66kgrs and I could not get enough sag for street riding on the rear suspension with the Ohlins on my SFS (the front was fine). I changed to a softer spring. I can't speak to what might be needed with the Showa.
thanks for your feedback my friend...

the front was ok though?
and how about track performance? was the ohlins original spring right for you for track use?

·
Registered
37 Posts
thanks for your feedback my friend...

the front was ok though?
and how about track performance? was the ohlins original spring right for you for track use?
I haven't had it on the track yet (next month), but the with the original spring, I was able to get only about 25mm of sag. That would be marginally enough for the track. With the softer spring (7.5kg, the original was 8.0kg) I can get 35-40mm of sag for the street and have lots of preload adjustment to stiffen it up for the track. I had no problem in getting enough sag for the street in the front so I left that as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
30 to 40 mm of sag is perfect!

I think that if you could get the original ohlins to have 30mm of sag it would be fine! (well ok 40 for street use is better for sure but 30 would still do the job..)

Just for the record, how much did the spring cost you and what brand is it??? thanks alot in advance...

anyone with showa suspension out there to give as feedback?

·
Registered
37 Posts
30 to 40 mm of sag is perfect!

I think that if you could get the original ohlins to have 30mm of sag it would be fine! (well ok 40 for street use is better for sure but 30 would still do the job..)

Just for the record, how much did the spring cost you and what brand is it??? thanks alot in advance...

anyone with showa suspension out there to give as feedback?
cts,

Check out this thread:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=69077

It's a thread about suspension settings for the Streetfighter and has some really useful information in it, especially about rider weight and sag. I replaced my spring with another Ohlins (Ohlins 01091-21/75 L149; original = 01091-24/80 L119). I couldn't get the original Ohlins to 30mm of sag even with all of my gear on - with the preload backed all the way off it was still less than 25mm. Even with the new, lighter spring the preload is set to close to the minimum to get enough sag for the street for my weight. To maintain front/back balance with the original spring the front suspension also had to be set stiffer than optimal for the street (I had my suspension set up for me at a (sort of) local shop (DucPond MotorSports) - originally and after the spring change). With the original spring the rear suspension barely moved when I rode the bike (a friend said that, from the back, the signal lights bounced up and down so much when I went over bumps that the SFS looked like some sort of alien bird flapping its wings). With the new spring and revised suspension settings the SFS is much more compliant and feels much better both in terms of comfort and handling.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i see...so i will definately have to change the spring...or put on some weight!! hahaha

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone have a stock fighter with showa to tell us how stiff the rear suspension is?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts