Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it again. After changing the oil and filter, and meticulously cleaning up, I Tipped Her Over!!! Somehow, due to lack of attention, I let her drop on her right side after getting her off the centerstand. The beautiful red paint and black plastic on the pannier is good and scratched.
After touch-up paint, is there a good way to smooth it all out so the blemishes blend in?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I did it again. After changing the oil and filter, and meticulously cleaning up, I Tipped Her Over!!! Somehow, due to lack of attention, I let her drop on her right side after getting her off the centerstand. The beautiful red paint and black plastic on the pannier is good and scratched.
After touch-up paint, is there a good way to smooth it all out so the blemishes blend in?
Put on the red touch up paint below the level of the scratches, then put clear coat over it to make it level or above level, then wet sand the whole area with 1500 grit sandpaper until smooth, then with 2000, then buff it with rubbing compound, then with finishing compound.

·
7,733 Posts
Lucky you, now your bike has soul and character. :) I dropped mine years ago at a stand still, and touched it up with Torch Red paint for GM auto's and kept working the black plastic on the side case with a sponge soaked with black plasticised paint. Don't worry about it, and soon enough, your eyes will stop focusing on that spot and you'll forget about it. :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
For the black plastic of the side bag, member Bill Wahl has used a woman's emory board (nail file) to smooth out the rough part followed by an application of liquid boot black (forget the brand) to bring back the color.

I agree with the others: every road warrior is bound to pick up a few battle scars which add character.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts