Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the past success of the 996,748 body line....do you think Ducati will ever release a retro prouction of the 'classic' body style???

or have anyone hear of any plans to make over the 999 body style anytime in the future?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
8 minutes for someone to take the trolls bait!try speedzilla next.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Noir said:
What does "trolls bait" mean??? Did I aswk a taboo question?
A person who joins a group like this just to stir up trouble by posting a question guarranteed to start a long (and depending on the site, sometimes heated) discussion is called a "troll". The question he posted is referred to as the "troll's bait".

A troll can be spotted by his recent membership and no prior history of posting on the site. A troll typically puts no identifying information in his public profile.

Reviewing your profile; we see that you joined today, this is your first post, and you have provided no information about yourself in either your post or your public profile. Hence the accusation of being a troll.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Depends on what you mean by a retro 916. If it is truly a retro, like the Sport Classics, then we won't see a retro 916 until after 2015 sometime. Retro marketing seems to be usually aimed at 20+ year old designs. I'll bet they do release a retro 916, but probably not for another 15 years or so.

If you mean a redesigned Superbike series with styling similar to the 916 series... Who knows? Ducati is hinting strongly that something about the Superbikes is going to change in the next year or two, but how and into what... they haven't said yet. My guess, and this is only a wild guess, is that the new Superbikes will look more like Ducati's MotoGP machines than the 916.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
There was the special edition "Matrix" 998 which came out after the "new" series Superbikes. Perhaps some more special editions may be released as long as 998 parts and engines remain in stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a way to make someone feel welcome...

Boy I just wanted to ask a question, and this is what I get. I didn't know that It was a requirement to disclose all of my info just to be treated as a human.

If it is that important, I once owned a Duc, (2001 748). It was stolen from my gated apartment in Marina del Rey, CA. I have just gotten myself in a poistion to buy another but I dislike the new body styles, and am concerned about buying used.

I thought I had a legitimate question. I found this site, and was excited as in years past I only posted on clubdesmo. If I am not welcome, excuse me!

Noir

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Noir,

it is not that you are not welcome...sometimes reaction is in interpretation...there have been alot of threads on here about speculative new body style coming with some proposed Photochop imagery posted by MCN and Raptors and Rockets among other zines both printed and online....maybe do a little search on here about just that to solve and answer some of that query....the other part of it is when someone new comes to a forum and asks a question that has been asked repeatedly by numerous other newbies because of the lack of time spent in doing a simple search before posting,it becomes repetative and annoying to some...I am sure you saw that on Club Desmo if you were on there for any length of time!....it is nothing directly against you....just some people have an ill amount of patience for time to be wasted...hence the very curt responses!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True that...

But at the same time I did do a search, and didn't see anything posted that addressed my question as to if Ducati was going to re-release an older model. Maybe I didn't search well enough...My bad...but why call a new cat a troll?

Either way, it's over. All of you guys have been more than cool, so I look forward to may post!

I would by a 996 inj a heart beat, but in cali I don't trust a used one. The shops close to me all have bikes that look like they've been tricked to death, and cycle trader doesn't have a huge selection.

I did test the 999 while in San jose. I bought my 748 from Wilson's and stopped in there too. Maybe I'm just nastalgic, but I want the old body style. The 999 was a great ride though.

Any thoughts on where to find a sound 996?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Noir said:
Any thoughts on where to find a sound 996?

I found my 998 on craigslist... look for an original owner that was meticulous with service and light on the mods... be patient... I looked for one for months... be prepared to pay blue book, maybe more if its in perfect low mileage shape...

Be patient...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never thought of Craigs list

Did you find a owner close by, or did you have to ship to your city? I will look there though!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Noir said:
Did you find a owner close by, or did you have to ship to your city? I will look there though!
8 miles away... 3 hours went by from me riding to his home, looking at 998, test riding, paying, him riding it to my house, 998 mine... couldn't have been an easier transaction...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ok ,my bad ,but as zoom mentioned the subject of where the superbike is going has been the disscusion of many recent threads.one thing is for shure,ducatis not saying and nobodies cyristal ball is tellin.but historically ducati has slowly upgraded their models ,and with only a 4 year run i personally am very doubtful you'll see a redesign soon,only small changes.especially with the soon released v-4 .as far as a retro superbike, doubt if it makes marketing sence when there are so many 916-998 bikes around should one be in the market for one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No problem

Your post did get me to update my info for that much :D

Thanks for the site in Seattle. I will keep it in my Fav, but I', looking for a Yellow 996. They seem freshn out...LOL

I'm a pacient cat, so I will take my time. I plan to utilize this board throughout my searcg process. Thanks all.

Noir

1 - 20 of 29 Posts