Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a hot area. In fact, today is a rather "cool" day for this time of year and it's still going to top out at 112f degrees. Winters here average out at roughly 80f degrees.

I've been thinking of either adding a 2nd oil cooler, or at least using one with more volume and surface area. The triangular oil cooler from the 848s has my attention. Can that be made to fit the air cooled 900? Perhaps requiring a bit of fab work for mounting bracket(s)?

I've considered using that by itself, as well as using it in series with the stock cooler. Maybe mount the stocker above the horizontal cylinder head, and mount the 848 cooler beneath the head. Connect them in series with the stock one's output feeding the input of the 848 cooler.

Can this work?

Also, where is a good place to install a mechanical oil temp gauge? Maybe ~T~ it off of someplace in the send/return lines for the cooler(s)?

Now, same question, but for a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Thank you!

(lousy image ... cooler is upside down)

:yeah:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I recall someone fitting one similar to this with some modifications to the mounting tabs on the cooler. I also recall someone fitting a 1098 R cooler directly without modification, and if I recall correctly, it fit inside the full size fairing. There's a lot of recollection in that sentence. Do with it what you will.

The other option is the FRAM/NCR cooler originally made for the 2V Hypermotard, but it can be made to fit on the 900SS. The caveat here is that it's too tall to fit vertically under the frame, either it gets mounted at about a 40 degree forward tilt, or you have the mounting tabs modified. I've seem the tabs lengthened rearward about an inch to push the bottom of the cooler forward, and maybe down a little.

Febur also makes a cooler for the 2V hyper, that appears to be about 3-4 rows shorter than the FRAM cooler, so may be better in the upper position. That said, I've never actually seen one of these mounted to a 900SS, but I have seen one on a Hyper. H2O also makes a low profile large capacity cooler that may work in this application.

Either of the "upper" oil cooler options requires a different valve cover for the horizontal intake valve, one with the cooler mount, but without the sensor hole. Ducati PN 24010121AB. The upper coolers should also work with the Hyper cooler lines as well, though some of these come with a line kit.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recall someone fitting one similar to this with some modifications to the mounting tabs on the cooler. I also recall someone fitting a 1098 R cooler directly without modification, and if I recall correctly, it fit inside the full size fairing. There's a lot of recollection in that sentence. Do with it what you will.

The other option is the FRAM/NCR cooler originally made for the 2V Hypermotard, but it can be made to fit on the 900SS. The caveat here is that it's too tall to fit vertically under the frame, either it gets mounted at about a 40 degree forward tilt, or you have the mounting tabs modified. I've seem the tabs lengthened rearward about an inch to push the bottom of the cooler forward, and maybe down a little.

Febur also makes a cooler for the 2V hyper, that appears to be about 3-4 rows shorter than the FRAM cooler, so may be better in the upper position. That said, I've never actually seen one of these mounted to a 900SS, but I have seen one on a Hyper. H2O also makes a low profile large capacity cooler that may work in this application.

Either of the "upper" oil cooler options requires a different valve cover for the horizontal intake valve, one with the cooler mount, but without the sensor hole. Ducati PN 24010121AB. The upper coolers should also work with the Hyper cooler lines as well, though some of these come with a line kit.
Wow ... thanks! That's a lot of solid dope on the notion of mounting auxiliary oil coolers to the 900SS!

I'll continue digging.

:wink2:

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Also, where is a good place to install a mechanical oil temp gauge? Maybe ~T~ it off of someplace in the send/return lines for the cooler(s)?

Now, same question, but for a mechanical oil pressure gauge?
I mean to hit these earlier. The Hypermotard coolers (OEM and aftermarket) are built with a banjo fitting on them, I believe the original use was for oil temp. Similar banjos were used on the 999 and ST4 series bikes as oil feed for the heads.

Why not use the electric OE SS oil temp sender that goes in the sump screen? Then you can pull oil pressure from the banjo on the Hyper cooler; because even an OEM Hyper cooler in the upper position is still a better cooler than the SS lower cooler.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.... The Hypermotard coolers (OEM and aftermarket) are built with a banjo fitting on them, I believe the original use was for oil temp. Similar banjos were used on the 999 and ST4 series bikes as oil feed for the heads.

Why not use the electric OE SS oil temp sender that goes in the sump screen? Then you can pull oil pressure from the banjo on the Hyper cooler; because even an OEM Hyper cooler in the upper position is still a better cooler than the SS lower cooler.
That is some really helpful infos. Thank you!! :smile2:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
....Almost all the questions you can conceive may be answered in these threads
.......sean
:surprise::eek:

here are a couple more views of the NCR/Fram filter. It's very effective, but it's not the low cost option. To mount it properly, it does take a bit of modding.
~Filter~? ... or was that a typo of sorts?

In any case, there is a lot for me to sift through with all the stuff you fellas provided.

QUESTION (re: the Hypermotard cooler): Which model/year is being referred to? It seems there are several types.

Depending on the model/year Hyper cooler, there is a very sexy CNC machined cooler guard available made by Evotech. With some foolery it might be retrofitted to other coolers (maybe ??).

Thanks bunches.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I've ridden air cooled bikes in Arizona for 30 years, the worst of the Phoenix stop n go traffic might be hard on the oil but the motors survived. With clean oil passages, fresh filter and oil - I would not prioritize replacing the cooler, although that NCR rig looks the business!

Yes, I've done Yuma to Havasu many many times year around, it gets damm hot, but these motors can handle it.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
QUESTION (re: the Hypermotard cooler): Which model/year is being referred to? It seems there are several types.

Depending on the model/year Hyper cooler, there is a very sexy CNC machined cooler guard available made by Evotech. With some foolery it might be retrofitted to other coolers (maybe ??).

Thanks bunches.
Any of the air-cooled big bore Hypers for sure. 1100 and 1100 Evo from 2005 - 2012. The 2013+ are 4 valve water cooled bikes, the upper cooler is the water radiator, the lower cooler is for oil. Since the water is doing the majority of the cooling, it gets the premium spot, the oil cooler is functioning to keep the oil from burning, not actually providing a significant cooling benefit to the motor.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've ridden air cooled bikes in Arizona for 30 years, the worst of the Phoenix stop n go traffic might be hard on the oil but the motors survived. With clean oil passages, fresh filter and oil - I would not prioritize replacing the cooler, although that NCR rig looks the business!

Yes, I've done Yuma to Havasu many many times year around, it gets damm hot, but these motors can handle it.
Well that saves me a few Hunskies. Stuff like this can go on the "maybe later list". I'll continue to work out design ideas and methods to personalize the bike (that never stops, the brain is always on the roll). But it's comforting to hear that extra cooling isn't necessary for this region of the Sonoran Desert. However I suppose it certainly cannot hurt!

... I've got a couple of other gizmos that I may attempt to fit up to the bike that are engine oil related ... I may even post something about them.

.... may ....

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm seriously considering the S4R cooler. Mainly because if I can mount it above the horizonal head, rather than below it, the cooler is now out of the direct path of debris flung up by the front wheel.

My original cooler is still serviceable. The fins and lines however, look like a$$. I could take some extra time and effort to get it all cleaned up nice....but a newer, and more efficient one seems like a better option. Getting the cooler up a little higher apparently has some extra air flow benefit too.

That 999 cooler looks rather tidy...but it still mounts below the horizontal head so not exactly an improvement in the debris collection or air flow concerns. I'll have to read through some more threads and weigh the pro's and cons of each mod before proceeding. I like the plug and play Hyper option...mainly because it's such a clean way to do the job.......sean

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only negative I see when a cooler is mounted above the horizontal cylinder is that some folks have the intake of one of the carbs/throttle bodies very close behind the back of the oil cooler. 250+ degree air exiting the oil cooler is drawn straight into one of the intakes, and there is nothing good about that.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just some trivia here .... some of the early 1970s AMA Superbike teams mounted the oil cooler on the rear of the seat, looking nearly like a small back rest ......

Attachments

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Just some trivia here .... some of the early 1970s AMA Superbike teams mounted the oil cooler on the rear of the seat, looking nearly like a small back rest ......
Oil cooler up there! And the tech inspection at the track was concerned I didn't have an oil catch basin under mine!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oil cooler up there! And the tech inspection at the track was concerned I didn't have an oil catch basin under mine!
Yea, imagine a leaking fitting or a ruptured hose ...... "in your face! ... IN YOUR FACE!"

:laugh:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
The only negative I see when a cooler is mounted above the horizontal cylinder is that some folks have the intake of one of the carbs/throttle bodies very close behind the back of the oil cooler. 250+ degree air exiting the oil cooler is drawn straight into one of the intakes, and there is nothing good about that.

:cool:
when the thing is moving i doubt that the air coming out of the cooler is anywhere near that hot.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
when the thing is moving i doubt that the air coming out of the cooler is anywhere near that hot.
fun fact - when it's 120 degrees F in Arizona that means the road surface temp is about 150 plus - that air is going to be plenty warm coming through there. Depending on fairing bodywork, mounting it higher could reduce the flow getting to the rear cylinder....imo I have one high and one mounted low.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It may not be exactly the same as the oil temp, but it's far hotter than ambient. If the air coming out the back of the oil cooler isn't hot then the heat transfer from the hot oil to the air isn't working. The entire premise of a "radiator" is to "radiate". In other words it transfers the heat from the oil to the fins, then the fins transfer their heat to the air flowing through them. The heat in the oil has to go somewhere. That somewhere is in the air that flows through the radiator.

As close as I've seen some carb/throttle body inlets to the back of an oil cooler is poor design work (like less than two inches). Which defeats the idea of "cold air intake" tubes on Ducati race bikes that use air intake tubes ... the whole point of those is to get cool air into the intakes. That concept of "cool air into the intakes" is defeated by placing the oil cooler too closely in front of the the intake.

It may not be "250 degree air" (oil temp minus ambient temp minus the inefficiency of the oil cooler's transfer = temp of air hitting the intake) but it's still far hotter than just ambient temp. My point still stands.

:smile2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts