Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, still loving the Hyper, but I have to admit that I'm growing weary of having to fight against the 1100's strong engine braking. Nearly every time I let off the gas, I slide up a little on the seat. I try to combat it with physical strength, slipping the clutch, etc., but in stop-and-go traffic, it gets very old and tiring very quickly.

Would a slipper on the Hyper reduce the engine braking effect? I don't need it to prevent wheel lock-up - I don't ride that aggressively - but if it smoothed out low/medium speed stop-and-go lurchiness, I might consider it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao activator -

having had the DP "bucci" strada slipper clutch on my hypertard for over a year now, i can advise that the engine braking is not reduced ... but rear wheel hop when downshifting is reduced to point that you cannot feel it at all.

perhaps this is what you are looking to obtain ... perhaps not.

i can also advise that installing a lightweight flywheel will not reduce engine braking, as is sometimes suggested. in fact, a lightened flywheel will increase engine braking feel to the rider, as there will be less rotating mass in the engine.

my suggestion to reduce engine braking feel when riding: ride smoother on deceleration ... roll off the throttle sooner and smoother when needing to slow down. in the stop and go traffic you mention, try holding on to the fuel tank covers by squeezing with your knees.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
186 Posts
I agree the DP slipper clutch works great but not for your issue. Try running a higher gear and installing some Tech Spec grip pads I have them and they work great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnny- Wheel hop is not the problem. I'm talking about the fact that any time I let off the throttle - even a little - it feels like I've grabbed the front brake. Sure, I can combat it by gripping the tank, arm strength, being smoother, etc, but it gets annoying when riding in town... I'm constantly scooching back on the seat.

It sounds like the slipper is not the answer to this dilemma. Hmmm... :think:

·
Registered
605 Posts
G2 throttle, and some type of fuel management to smooth things up if you have not done so already. The G2 allows much more precise off idle throttle control.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
"Snatchy Throttle" Syndrome?

Activator's complaints sound to me like symptoms of the "Snatchy Throttle Syndrome" caused by the overly lean stock set up.

Before resorting to lighten flywheels and slipper clutches, I think he would be well advised to make sure all other engine parameters are properly tuned, regardless of which exhaust or ecu are being used. Without so doing, my guess is a lighten flywheel would actually make it feel worse.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
agree ...

my comments on slipper clutches and lightened flywheels point out that these will not provide less engine braking.

Activator's complaints sound to me like symptoms of the "Snatchy Throttle Syndrome" caused by the overly lean stock set up.

Before resorting to lighten flywheels and slipper clutches, I think he would be well advised to make sure all other engine parameters are properly tuned, regardless of which exhaust or ecu are being used. Without so doing, my guess is a lighten flywheel would actually make it feel worse.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think part of the problem is the Hyper's long front end. The extra fork travel really amplifies the feeling of engine braking, front end dive and regular braking.

The first time I rode a Monster after being on my Hyper for a while, I thought to myself how terrible the brakes were. After riding the Monster for a while, I discovered that the brakes were fine, they just didn't feel as strong because the front end does not dive nearly as much on braking.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
G2 throttle, and some type of fuel management to smooth things up if you have not done so already. The G2 allows much more precise off idle throttle control.
+1

Get it tuned properly... it'll make it FAR more rideable. With or without a throttle tube... which by the way, I've tried both the G2 and the Dan Kyle and after tuning, I'm back to the stock tube and all is well. You might want to blip a bit before letting out the clutch as well to match ground speed to engine speed... yes, even around town. That or just hold the clutch in more often... won't hurt anything. Much anyway... ;)

B

PS: I have a Hinson/Suter slipper clutch and cat attest to the fact that you still get heavy engine braking... especially at lower speeds.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
my comments on slipper clutches and lightened flywheels point out that these will not provide less engine braking.
Actually, an EVR slipper WILL eliminate engine braking, but it's the only one that does as far as I know, and it's not cheap.

Tom

P.S. I actually like lots of engine braking, but that's just my personal preference.

·
Premium Member
12,322 Posts
Sloppy throttle cables ? Too much slack ? Start there no $$ spent

·
Registered
513 Posts
sounds like you just need a new seat

The standard seat had that issue with me

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
if a slipper is eliminating engine braking, then it is not set up correctly. the motor will continue to produce engine braking on throttle roll off no matter what clutch set up one is running.

slipper clutches are designed/engineered to slip when the rear wheel/tire rotation does not match engine speed (caused by downshifting too soon, or too many gears), thus eliminating rear wheel hop when downshifting. slippers were developed to allow smoother, more controlled corner entry when downshifting ... they are not engineered to stop normal engine breaking.

Actually, an EVR slipper WILL eliminate engine braking, but it's the only one that does as far as I know, and it's not cheap.

Tom

P.S. I actually like lots of engine braking, but that's just my personal preference.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey all. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I DO have the FatDuc AND the G2 Throttle Tamer.

I have noticed that since the 600 mile service (I'm at 1,200 now) the bike has seemed less "smooth"... more throaty and grumbly and vibey than before. Maybe things aren't set up right. I had spoken with the tech who serviced it, and mentioned the Fatduc, etc, and he knew about the FatDuc. But, yeah. Maybe it needs a little tweaking back at the shop.

Note that I don't want "zero" engine braking, but just a little less at around town speeds...

And, yeah, the seat also magnifies the problem by tilting forward. I'm close to ordering a Sargent, but worried about all the negative reviews on this forum...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I get alot of engine braking also. I find I use the engine braking sometimes instead of using the actual brakes to set up for a corner. I just figured that's how the bike was. Hey Activator I see you live in Putnam what roads do you you ride I like 301 and RT.22 just took 121 up to Putnam today was a nice ride.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Seriously folks what the hell. I've heard get a new pipe, a new seat, get it tuned... for christs sake he just needs to be smoother and deal with it. Its a freaking air cooled twin with gobs of engine braking which is a tremendous benefit in many circumstances. Ride a gear higher like someone said,blip on the down shifts and learn to ride smoother, feather the clutch as super low speeds. So many always blame the bike and it needs this and that... it needs a proficient rider with smooth inputs...these bikes don't ride themselves:think:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and.... thread closed.

ALL I wanted to know was if a slipper would reduce engine braking. I guess my riding style just sucks, is all. Couldn't be a mechanical issue.

And Raiden. Yes, I ride 301 along with every other motorcyclist in Putnam! :) I also like 116 (Titicus Rd.) which goes from 22 in Croton Falls over to North Salem and into Ridgefield, though now that they put the overbanding on the sides, it's not as nice with that ridge in the middle. If they repaved that road, it would be a hoot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts