Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
Just a quick question
Will a 998rs top coolant tank fit a standard 998 without any mods to the bike? and are they also prone to leak...im hoping not.
Thanks Brendon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The reservoir tank that goes up on the neck? Yes. The airbox extension, not so much. Bracket for the ignition gets in the way.

not sure about the leaking problem

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow..cool...its hard to know where to stop modifying these awesome machines.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
wow..cool...its hard to know where to stop modifying these awesome machines.
Well................its a sickness ya see.................and if you do stop, it'll be unsuccessfully.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahahha WyleEcoytoe..i think your right..
.so Fab....can you get a kit to fit the filters inside the air box?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks final edition,so...if i use this coolant tank will the rs tubes fit in a standard air box..?or do i need the rs airbox too..

·
Registered
87 Posts
when you project to use RS parts you have to know few things....

the only RS air tubes with air filters inside are the 998RS ones. 998RS airtubes are scare, really ....and if you project to buy the speed carbon actual production of them: they don't fit perfectly on an original RS airbox.
You can find the last generation 996 airtubes and cut a windows inside to fit the 998RS foam bracket panels
if you want to fit them on your 998 bike, you need a 998RS00/01 air box (good luck to find it). on this 998RS airbox there is no fuel tank front attachment, so impossible to put an oem fuel tank on it, and of course impossible to fit the oem collant tank anymore. thottle bodies will be inside this RS airbox, so you will have to replace the throttle cable too , and modify the electrical loom with a seal...

if you don't find any other solution than to use a 996RS fuel tank, (because the 998RS one need a 998RS frame, fixures are different) .
you can choose the 996RS fuel tank pattent, as long as it is intended that its fuel line is for a inside throttle bodies airbox, od of course you will have to find the correct fuel tank attachement .
and remove the neiman .. RS fuel tank doesn't allow to let it in place

easy to use RS parts no ?

or you can use carbon air tubes for oem airbox, and add a filter inside....

·
Registered
87 Posts
by chance I have free time since we no longer have the right to leave our home ...

so photo report :)

this is oem airbox/oem airtubes fitting

now the RS top collant tank replace the oem one, the air tubes are oem

you can see where the problem is....

that's why it's impossible to fit oem airtubes with a RS top coolant tank

now the solution:
"racing" carbon airtubes for oem airbox, (without airfilters)

but you will have to add an airfilter,

several solutions do exist for 998
by exemple:

·
Registered
87 Posts
now regarding your idea to use 998RS air tubes.

998RS air tubes are 996RS00 air tube with a cutted window on the side to add a foem bracket panel (air filter)

unfortunately air intake is much more bigger than on the oem:
on this picture, on top the oem air tube, on the middle Racing 97 and ay the bottom the 996RS00/998RS

we can see that the size on the air intake has been enlarged durings years
that means to use 998RS air tubes, you would use a 998RS airbox too (and a front nose fairing with big air inlets)
by chance it exist now: Ducati Endurance Racer front cowl. 748, 916, 996, 998

ok lt's go back on the 998RS airbox.very scare too...

on this picture you can see where the next problems...

how to fix you oem fuel tank on a 998RS airbox?
and throttle bodies are inside the airbox, you would need to sel air inatke pipes on the air box, same think for the electrical loom, the fuel line and the new throtlle cable.

concerning the fuel tank , sincerly you dont have the choice : 996RS00 because of the attachment.
so new tank , with all the components (fuel pump, filter....and brackets to fix it on your frame)

and finally bye bye to the OEM neiman...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hey Fab, best few posts I’ve read in a long time, brilliant stuff, really appreciate the effort you’ve gone to.

Fitting RS parts is like a good paint job: the real work comes early on in the process, actually fitting the part (laying down the colour) is the last (“Haaaalelujah!”) 10% of the process.

I’m more into the 999 series race bikes but I just love the insights into the evolution of these things, thanks again.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I love the air filter cut out window on the 998rs airtube! A very cool idea imo
I second the motion that that was a very informative post by Fab, thanks for taking the time

·
Registered
87 Posts
you're welcome

Personally I prefer 916/996/998 and 1098 series .... I find 999 looks like a slug :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha, you have me disarmed, sir!

Yes, but to be fair Tamburini is a league of his own when it comes to designing beautiful bikes. Totally agree nothing holds a candle to the 916 -> 998 for looks. The 1*98 is a little too "derivative" for me, and although undoubtedly pretty it just looks....bigger.

The 749/999 gives me the shits in road trim too, but it's mostly just little stuff that has me grinding my teeth: that perfectly practical but horrible looking in-built tank pad completely ruins the line of the tank, the early cast swing arm and grey frame do nothing for it, likewise the wings/deflectors, the ugly exhaust can that looks like it's hammered together out of old rubbish bins.

But in race trim? A red frame bike with the tough looking black fabricated swingarm, lose the deflectors, lose the tank pad (gonna need another tank or do some work to remove the indent...grinding teeth again!), a decent exhaust and you've got something that looks much better.

And the deep sump Testastretta engine has an allure all it's own. Valve clearances on my desmoquattro 851/926 is like key-hole surgery, compared to sitting down to Christmas dinner doing the same on my 749R: pull the lid and everything is laid out in front of you. And no more half-rings made out of old paperclips, "proper"collets -> "Hallelujah!", haha.

I'm thinking Mr Chili with his 998.5 had the right idea....

Edit: apologies for the thread diversion. I do actually have a 998RS coolant tank for the 749R (the 998RS tank is also correct fitment for a 749/999RS) but the faffing around to relocate my triple clamp mounted brake/clutch reservoirs (and resulting holes) and replacing/modfying the throttle cables sees it still sitting on the shelf.

Of course the solution is painfully obvious.....

....start another project on which to use it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well FAB,You have shown us/me an amazing post!!..Absolutely awesome information and Photos(y)(y)...just what i needed, and now im trying to figure out the best option.....aaaahhhhhhh...Im leaning towards the RS coolant tank, carbon air tubes and added air filters,Stock air box. Hopefully the RS tank isn't prone to splitting like the stock 998 one is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If it's only for the 998RS/999RS coolant tank you only need the RH carbon raceairduct.for street airbox.
Ok, maybe the LH duct as well ;)

How I know?
that's how I started!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahahah...funny...i know its hard to stop adding performance parts..thanks stille-willem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts