Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been asked to participate in a summer parade in my city. I would like to join and show off my bike but I'm worried about her overheating. The parade route is only 3 miles long but speeds will definitely be less than 10 MPH. The average temperature here in the summer is about 72F.

I do have a small 12V cooling fan from one of my past car projects I can temporarily hook up and maybe mount in front of the oil cooler or somewhere behind the fairings. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know nothing.
I have no relevant Ducati experience.
I have owned a Ducati for 3 weeks.

But... if I lived in San Diego and the normal ambient temperature was 72 degrees I would not even think there was a question there.

I have been to Italy in the summer time... trust me on this... it is way hotter in the home land than San Diego and the traffic in Rome is worse than your parade.

As an experienced parade rider (back in the Harley days.. 20 years worth) I would have more concern about the clutch than the engine temperature.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I ride my 900SS everyday and through heavy traffic in Queensland where we have a hot climate as well and some days the bike does get very hot. I asked my Ducati Dealer who's been working on Duc's for 25 years and a dealer for almost as long about temperature because I often do spend a long time in traffic and my 1994 didn't have a temp gauge so I asked him if I should have anything to worry about.

His response was you'd be surprised how hot the air-cooled engines can run, they are the same motor that Cagiva took to victory in the Paris-Dakar and can run very very hot without hassle, his opinion is good oil is the key to their survival and also pointed out part of not having a temp gauge shows the factory doesn't treat temperature as much of an issue with them. He reckoned even though I didn't have a temp gauge to keep an eye on it as long as I keep the oil level up with good clean oil not to worry about temperature.

Now I have the 1997 SS with a gauge its just one extra thing to worry about that I previously didn't ...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, I pretty much agree with the above too. I've had my 96 since 98 and have had it in some bumper to bumper traffic in a lot hotter temps than 72 with no ill effects.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agree about the clutch though too. It might not like it too much. . . Not exactly a bike made for 5-10 mph parades!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys, I run Mobil 1 10/40 and didn't think there would be an issue since I do cruise the beach areas w/ stop and go traffic. I just replaces the clutch so not worried about wasting friction material for now. I'll probably just creep her along with my legs in some parts of the route. Now I just have to find some Ducati hot pants and rollerblades!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
3 miles at a walking pace on a Ducati sounds like an afternoon in Hell to me...

I wouldn't be worried about the clutch wearing, I'd be worried about it overheating and getting glazed. Not to mention my hand getting cramped from slipping it for an hour. I'm not sure how your bike is geared, but based on how mine run at low speeds I'd politely decline. Stop and go is one thing, constant slow is another. A parade isn't going to move at 5 - 10mph, more like 3mph. Think about it, people are walking, and not all that quickly. How fast do you walk?

I had a Harley Softail for a long weekend and one of the things I remember is, they go slow a lot better than a Ducati does. I don't mean that as a joke, I'm serious.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Do you have a vented clutch cover? My 94 CR has one and my wife's 95 CR has the stock solid one. You would be amazed how much cooler my clutch is after a normal ride.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a vented clutch cover? My 94 CR has one and my wife's 95 CR has the stock solid one. You would be amazed how much cooler my clutch is after a normal ride.
Yes it's a carbon holly thing. Man the noise is what the motorcycle club that's riding wanted my bike for! Mostly cruisers and Harleys probably. I saw a similar parade a few years ago where the riders were able to do U-turns and get some speed ma (15 MPH) for about 500 feet each way. Some was popping wheelies on her Triumph Triple. So it won't all be creeping at 3 MPH. Bad thing though....SPs are not made for tight u-turns! :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
i live in tropical north queensland where it gets really humid hot
daily commute in bumper to bumper traffic no probs at all
take enjoy the parade and show off ducati style

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm afraid to ask which parade! ;)

+1 to the other comments. My biggest concern would be my poor little left hand! But only three miles? I'd go for it. Especially with the vented cover.

But if the temps were like they have been lately (pushing 90), I might reconsider just for my own comfort.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts