Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Quick question for the group, since I was not able to find a answer googling.

I was think of getting a used set of 2008/1098 Ohlins fork for my 916 track project and are wondering if the five spoke 916 will fit those forks, mainly if it’s the same axel OD and how about the rotor disk offsets?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

Yes the fork will fit and yes your 5 spoke will fit as well!!
You’re telling it’s a track bike so you don’t need the 916 speedo, that makes it easy!
The axle you’ll need is the 848/1098 axle + the 2 spacers!!
The small spacer at the RH side and the large spacer on the LH side in stead of your speedodrive.
The brakediscs must have a 15mm offset, your 916 has 10mm.
So you need a 5mm disc spacer or de 15mm offset 748R/998R discs but these are pretty rare and expensive!!

I hope my story is clear and you’re allways free to ask!
Good luck and keep save

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch for the detailed feedback,
very much appreciated - tot ziens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Hi,

Yes the fork will fit and yes your 5 spoke will fit as well!!
You’re telling it’s a track bike so you don’t need the 916 speedo, that makes it easy!
The axle you’ll need is the 848/1098 axle + the 2 spacers!!
The small spacer at the RH side and the large spacer on the LH side in stead of your speedodrive.
The brakediscs must have a 15mm offset, your 916 has 10mm.
So you need a 5mm disc spacer or de 15mm offset 748R/998R discs but these are pretty rare and expensive!!

I hope my story is clear and you’re allways free to ask!
Good luck and keep save
As above the biggest issue is the brakes but they are available; 748R/998R discs being the direct fit.

I have 1198 Ohlins forks on my 916. I'm using 916 Marchesini 10-spoke front wheel which fits fine with a (30mm) speedo replacement spacer although I did need 15mm offset discs with 6-hole fitment and I bought some Brembo HPK to suit.

Recently, however the carriers on the HPK have become badly worn causing too much float. I do have some OEM 748R discs that I could use but I wanted to keep the HPK if possible as I believe them to be better brakes (1mm thicker for starters).

The actual discs are fine with no measurable wear as are even the bobbins, and new HPK in 15mm/6-hole are NLA so I have just this week replaced the carriers. These I got from 'Mode Performance' (UK) Brembo Racing by Mode Performance they are not the same design as the original HPK discs, not quite so funky looking and a little bit heavier but it means that I can continue to use the HPK discs.

Note that if you use the Ohlins forks you will also need to change the bottom yoke (or bore yours out) as the forks are 56mm diameter at that point, the 1098 Showa should be the same 53mm.

Original HPK;

Wear in carrier;

Replacement carrier, using original disc;

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
So these new carriers have an 15mm offset as wel?
Yes, exactly the same as the HPK for 748R and they need to be precise as the discs are 5.5mm thick whilst the internal of the (HPK) caliper is only 8mm so there is not much tolerance for being off centre.

The new carriers were referred to as 'Racing Fingers' by the supplier. I think they are old school racing style and so probably suit the classic 916 lines better? They are 55g heavier though, that said the HPK probably weighed an extra 10 - 20g before some of the material wore away!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I couldn’t think how the old school Narrowband design could fit your HPK rotor
But with a closer look I see the old school HPK carrier has 11 spokes in stead 12 of the original Narrowband rotors.
Correct?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts