Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Senior Narcissista
5,747 Posts
Well I ordered some 1098 cams just to settle my curiosity! If it works, it works, either way I'm interested in some 999S cams. At the weekend I was explaining to a mate about another project that got sabotaged by covid. I bought an ST4S engine from a comrade in the UK. It's FINALLY here in Norway. The plan is to pull it to pieces and machine the swinging arm bosses to match my 748 frame, rebuild it with the usual work on the squish, cam timing and porting along with some reworked injector bodies (S4RS with pico injectors, either 4 or 12 holes) and build a hybrid wiring loom to use the 59M brain. He said "You would be just as well taking that racing with all the bits you have for it". Some people really know how to spoil your day! It's going to be a busy winter.
I couldnt descipher this part from norwegian to english with my swedish language set :) : He said "You would be just as well taking that racing with all the bits you have for it" Kan jag få det i rå norsk så fixar jag det säkert !
You could have had a couple of 1098 heads I swapped for part of a mapping job, with a noble goal I'd give them away.
Heads are up for grabs with proper motivation.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Takk så mye for tilbudet men jeg tror jeg har nok prosjekter for den vinter. Min kamerat sagt at jeg burde bruke den 748 med ST4S motor på banen siden jeg har masse reservdeler. Den sykkel skulle ha c130 hester hvis jeg gjøre en god jobb. Uten en skikkelig kamaksel jeg tror det blir vanskelig å få over 130 fra 999en.

Hope that works, I'm from Skottland originally! The 1098 heads would probably be better on a big bore motor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If this is so I have a lathe and may be able to fix that
I have a lathe, too, but I'm pretty sure I'd "fix" em permanently! I admire those who can take on something like that! Good on you!

·
Registered
99' 996
607 Posts
Thats along the lines of what I was thinking. If the cams wont fit the head, will the head fit the motor? Wouldnt the 1098 have larger valves? More port volume? Seems like a double win to me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The stud spacing is bigger on the 1098 but from what I can see that is not an insurmountable problem. The tricky bit would be keeping the belt alignment square. The valves as a couple of mm bigger on the 1098 but from the pictures Alexc kindly put up it looks like the lobe spacing on the camshafts are the same. It had occured to me to see if 1098 valves are the same length as the 999. A cheap job lot of cams are now winging their merry way to Norway for me to experiment with. They will test my skills on the lathe anyway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a set of 999S cams a year ago on Ebay for ~$550. It was just a waiting game. Seems like a lot of work to go this other route, but if you've got a cold winter, space, and time, could be a fun challenge :cool:

21 - 28 of 28 Posts