Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of Googling has got me precisely nowhere! I've been looking for a set of 999S cams which now apear to be unobtainable. Looking at the other Testastretta cams on Mr Blacks list it would appear that 1098 cams are similar from the specs. They are a lot easier to pick up. I haven't been able find anything on cam interchangeability between the later Teststrettas and the 999. Can anybody offer any enlightenment?

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
I’ve got a set of MTS1200 cams out that I can measure for you…They interchange with 1098 cams. What measurements are you looking for, journal diameter, and line spacing? Unfortunately, all my 999 cams are installed right now.

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
837 Posts
I have a set of 1098 cams and 06 999 cams, I’ll dig them out and take some pics side to side.

from what I’ve heard, they won’t fit, but anything is possible if you’re willing to put in the time

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
View attachment 1021300
View attachment 1021299

first pic shows 999 cam on the left, second pic shows xx98 cam on a 999 head. Won’t fit unless you do some machining, but the xx98 cam is shorter, which might cause some trouble with lubrication.
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. From the photos it looks like the lobe spacings and width are the same and the total length is the same. From what I understand annd from the photo the drive side bearing is a little narrower and it looks like the thrust pad on the lobe nearest the bearing is causing this by being a little wider. If this is so I have a lathe and may be able to fix that :) . The problem will be the hardness of the metal. I'll cross that bridge when I get there if all the other dimensions tally.

I couldn't find any available S cams on Ebay.uk or Ebay.com. Any prices I did find were a bit steep which is why I had a look to see if anything else would do the job. The 1098 cam looks to have a little less timing and a little more lift at the point that the specs are given. I'll go for a set of cams and see if this can be made to work.

A question, is that the correct cam for that location? Just in case there are any slight differences.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thanks, I know, you still can't get them :(
Probably because all of us 998 and earlier 999 owner's bought them all up. I bet you could find some 998 cams pretty cheap,

t_bare

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
837 Posts
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. From the photos it looks like the lobe spacings and width are the same and the total length is the same. From what I understand annd from the photo the drive side bearing is a little narrower and it looks like the thrust pad on the lobe nearest the bearing is causing this by being a little wider. If this is so I have a lathe and may be able to fix that :) . The problem will be the hardness of the metal. I'll cross that bridge when I get there if all the other dimensions tally.

I couldn't find any available S cams on Ebay.uk or Ebay.com. Any prices I did find were a bit steep which is why I had a look to see if anything else would do the job. The 1098 cam looks to have a little less timing and a little more lift at the point that the specs are given. I'll go for a set of cams and see if this can be made to work.

A question, is that the correct cam for that location? Just in case there are any slight differences.
Yeah it was a vertical exhaust cam just laid on top of a 999 vertical head to show where it wouldn’t fit.

i Can dig them out again and take some measurements, but the journal on the belt side is too short on the xx98 cams to fit into the head.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,747 Posts
FWIW, lets see if I recall this correctly from trying back in 2008 or so. On a 999 engine, given you have S-rockers, fit a bip cam and you have a very nice intake setup. This works because of the difference in rocker geometry. Exhaust wont work though, it will bind.
Not much help unless you already have the S-rockers, and finding these is harder than finding S-cams :/

·
Registered
158 Posts
FWIW, lets see if I recall this correctly from trying back in 2008 or so. On a 999 engine, given you have S-rockers, fit a bip cam and you have a very nice intake setup. This works because of the difference in rocker geometry. Exhaust wont work though, it will bind.
Not much help unless you already have the S-rockers, and finding these is harder than finding S-cams :/
you mean 749S opener rockers? 999S rockers are same as 999.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,747 Posts
I may recall that wrong indeed, 749S and 749R + 999R 05 up it is, thanks!
I stumbled across it when fitting 749R cams into 999 heads, noticed that the bip 999 cams looked beefier than the 999R cams, so I tried fitting a bip cam with those rockers, and ended up with something on par with the 1098R cam lift and duration.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
@TomTom glad to see you back! Miss hearing about stuff you’ve been working on. You have so much experience and knowledge to pass on.
Serious~ Tom jogged my memory, I know a guy with a set of new (in the boxes) 749R cams and rockers. I was going to pick up for a 999S…if he still has them then I would be willing to sell my 999S cams or possibly I will drop the idea of putting the 749R cams in if you prefer them. I will see if they are still available.

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I ordered some 1098 cams just to settle my curiosity! If it works, it works, either way I'm interested in some 999S cams. At the weekend I was explaining to a mate about another project that got sabotaged by covid. I bought an ST4S engine from a comrade in the UK. It's FINALLY here in Norway. The plan is to pull it to pieces and machine the swinging arm bosses to match my 748 frame, rebuild it with the usual work on the squish, cam timing and porting along with some reworked injector bodies (S4RS with pico injectors, either 4 or 12 holes) and build a hybrid wiring loom to use the 59M brain. He said "You would be just as well taking that racing with all the bits you have for it". Some people really know how to spoil your day! It's going to be a busy winter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts