Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that are planning on going to the Pikes Peak International Hill climb, I thought I'd start a thread. I'm planning on riding the MTS out there on the 4th for all the events but the wildfire in the area has me a bit worried.

Hopefully they can get things contained within a few days. The article below has the only reference to the race that I can find.

Colorado crews face heat, wind at huge wildfires - The Middletown Press : Serving Middletown, CT

Anyone from the area able to comment?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great Idea!

We will be out that way starting Friday morning. It sounds like a fun event to head over to. We'll see how things wind up with the fires though. Look for the red 1 with Florida tags.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Waldo Canyon Fire is causing some major problems between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park along Hwy 24.
Quite a few folks have been evacuated and the long term effects have yet to be seen.
So far we have been lucky that to date only one shead has been lost and no major injuries to Fire Fighters. Fingers X'd

One of the latest complications involves the damage to the trees etc in the steepest section of Ute Pass. That section has a very unstable hill side of Decomposed Granite with a lot of boulders that were being held in check by limited vegetation that was burned.
As a result the folks in charge won't open Hwy 24 untill they check out and mitigate the hazards after the fire is under control. When & IF is still an unknown.

Along with many seasonal attractions being closed there is the Scheduled Pikes Peak Internationl Hill Climb, PPIHC, that is set for July 8th.

Problem is the access to the Pikes Peak Highway is in Cascade which is in the middle of the Hwy 24 Closure. With the Pracitce runs scheduled for July 4, 5 & 6th things don't look good for those that were scheduled to Race and visitors who were planning on being on the mountain.
Perhaps they will be able to open the lower section of Hwy 24 for the Race and perhaps not. Or perhaps they will be able to get access from the Woodland Park side.
The whole thing is still up in the air and at this point there isn't even much on the Official PPIHC sight about the issue.

For those who were planning on being there check out the PPIHC link for any news;

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info G MAN. I've been checking their site but so far haven't seen anything related to the fire. Hopefully they get things under control soon.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I am scheduled to leave tomorrow from the SF Bay area, right now I am not arriving in Colorado Springs until Monday. The Marriott Colorado Springs, the Ducati sponsored hotel, is currently evacuated. I am thinking of staying in Grand Junction for an Extra day or two to wait and see. I guess I am leaving tomorrow as planned. Currently riding Highway 50 most of the way.

·
Bon Vivant
10,925 Posts
I'm only 30 minutes away from the fire area. The town south of me received a per-evacuation notice today.
yesterday I got a test call of the reverse 911 system.
We are all making plans for the possibility of evacuation and loss. I have a place to go but it will be hard to move 8 bikes especially if we don't evacuate well in advance of any real danger.
The fire isn't close enough for me to be real worried yet but we are all keeping our ears to the ground.

Its lightly raining right now but not enough to do any good, it'll likely only last a few minutes.

Some mornings we wake up to the smell of burning forest, it's on everybody's minds right now.

A few years ago a friend of mine lost a large collection of vintage British bikes and his home along with all of their possessions in a fire in Boulder.
He rebuilt and now there is another fire in Boulder.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is the real deal. Last night we had 65 mph winds and a total ShitStorm. Fire more than doubled in size. 200-300 homes lost. Lucky us, national news now...

Race is officially delayed:
Pikes Peak International Hill Climb postponed | pikes, hill, postponed - WALDO CANYON FIRE - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

Fire map:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202018096962390235287.0004c32ef50e09e541122&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=38.894774,-104.946213&spn=0.173685,0.308647&z=12&source=embed

Highway 24 west of COS is closed. With 32,000 evacuees, hotels that are not in the evac zone are now full.

There are many other very cool places in Colorado. It's clear now that you should avoid this neighborhood. Durango is fantastic. Wolf Creek Pass, Independence Pass - awesome. Breckenridge, Aspen, Steamboat Springs - the list goes on. Go see them and have some clean air to ride in.

Mark

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a huge bummer. I had work scheduled off, and my hotel reservation is non refundable... Been looking forward to this trip for a long time. I guess it could be worse, I guess my house could be burned down.

I may still make the trip...

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm only 30 minutes away from the fire area. The town south of me received a per-evacuation notice today.
yesterday I got a test call of the reverse 911 system.
We are all making plans for the possibility of evacuation and loss. I have a place to go but it will be hard to move 8 bikes especially if we don't evacuate well in advance of any real danger.
The fire isn't close enough for me to be real worried yet but we are all keeping our ears to the ground.

Its lightly raining right now but not enough to do any good, it'll likely only last a few minutes.

Some mornings we wake up to the smell of burning forest, it's on everybody's minds right now.

A few years ago a friend of mine lost a large collection of vintage British bikes and his home along with all of their possessions in a fire in Boulder.
He rebuilt and now there is another fire in Boulder.
I'm close to you, let me know if you need help moving bikes, valueables.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Had tickets to the race, wife and I were gonna ride down and stay in Manitou. Was an obvious choice for the race organizers; it's hell on earth in the foothills right now outside of Colorado Springs. Unbelievable photos 200-300 homes destroyed. I'm in Denver and you can see the smoke/fires everywhere. It's unreal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts