Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was changing the oil today to finally ride my bike. I also washed it last week. My lights work, When I hit the switch down to get ready to start my bike, it makes that noise that it usually does. But when I hit the starter button, it does nothing! Can it still be my battery, even though the lights and everything are on? Did I do something when I washed it? I'm a little bummed because I was ready and all to take a ride today after a month and half wait. I have it on the battery optimizer from OPTIMATE. Right now the orange LED says CHARGE. I hope this is the problem, if not what else should I look for. I'm not really experienced with mechanical things, other than changing oils and filters and little things like that. So if you explain something please give it to me in DUMMY terms. Pictures would help alot too. Thanks

I have a 2001 748s

I also forgot to mention that we did a rolling start about 6-7 times and it would not start up. It would put, put, put, like its going to start but wouldnt do it. One time, it sounded like it was really close, but didnt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not long (1 1/2 hours), I just put it back on the charger today since it wouldnt start. Before that it's been months (actually awhile). However the last time I started my bike has been around 1 1/2 months - 2 months. But how come my lights and cluster work and blinkers. Kill switch when pushed makes the noise like usual. When I hit the starter button, it does nothing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tried jumping it from my car battery (not running) and it did nothing. Just the same as before. The lights and brake lights work, kill switch makes noise when push down, but starter button does nothing.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
well...I'd check the contacts on the starter solenoid...make sure that little white connector is pushed on tightly.....aside from that...you said you can't even push start it?....Hrrrmmmmm....makes me wonder....

·
Registered
319 Posts
You might have gotten water in some place causing a short or a ground. A common place will be in the ignition key hole. Blow some air in the ignition key hole and then move the key back and forth few times before trying to start the bike again.

Another possibility is that your emergency ON/OFF relay is malfunctioning. You can probably swap the horn relay with the safety relay to see if the problem moves to the horn.

The starter relay can also fail. As suggested check the control line to the relay in the back and make sure it is attached securily. You can grab a heavy gauge wire and short the front two terminals of the starter relay together. If the engine turns, your starter relay is dead. Just be careful not to touch any bare part of the wire with your hand or you will get an electrical shock.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 996. You might want to check these things out...NOW DON'T RAG ME IF I DON'T USE THE EXACTLY CORRECT NAMES FOR THE PARTS I'M DESCRIBING...just trying to point things out in simpler terms than the owners/shop manual.

• Expose the battery side of the bike.

You'll notice a set of relays right in-between the battery and the oil filler cap/oil sending unit. In fact, if you have an open clutch, you've probably worried about the wires leading to them getting caught in the pressure plate.

These things are cube plastic electrical pieces, of various sizes and dimensions, with anywhere from 3 to 5 prongs sticking out of one end. They do have a tendency of burning out.

A couple of them are the throttle sensor relays (the smallest ones) if these go out...you won't hear the fuel pump prime the lines.

One of them is the master relay. If this one goes out...the engine won't even turn over.

And I think one of them is the relay to the coils (that's the only one that hasn't gone out on me.

NEXT...remove the battery and the battery holder. Attached to the right-hand frame-trellis (the lower rail) is the coil relay (a cylinder with to heavy duty wires connected to it by screwcap terminals)

The master fuse is just forward of the cylindrical relay. This is one of those colored-plastic fuses, with two prongs that you'll find in a modern car...except it's twice the size of a normal fuse. It'll be in a single-fuse fusebox, just ahead of the coil relay. Any auto parts store will have this fuse.

I hate tracking down electrical problems (hence my poor usage of terms) so I just replaced all of these things. It cost about $98....but my bike runs fine and even the throttle response seems to have improved. Hope this helps you and the other guy with starting problems. I'll post this same post on his thread as well.[list/]

PS while you're in the vincinity...check the oil sending unit. If you see oil seeping out of the top of it or at the base...get a replacement at the dealership while you're getting the relays. In fact, pick one up anway. If it isn't spitting oil on your headers now, it soon will. I've gone through two of them already. That's the one big complaint I have about the bike.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Take your right fairing off. Locate your starter (it's towards the front of the engine at the bottom), trace the wire back to the starter relay (little cylindrical gold coated item located next to your battery). On the back of it is a little plastic plug (remove the plug and put into it a little bit of dielectric grease and reinstall)....next start the bike up.

This is guaranteed to work.

Othewise I'll give you $20 bucks cash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i would'nt mind betting it's not in neutral.when you washed it you have nudged the gear lever.it's not in gear but not exactly in neutral.check if the neutral light is on.this happened to me i spent ages looking for an electrical fault.

·
Registered
284 Posts
iant505 said:
i would'nt mind betting it's not in neutral.when you washed it you have nudged the gear lever.it's not in gear but not exactly in neutral.check if the neutral light is on.this happened to me i spent ages looking for an electrical fault.
It's not the neutral switch or the sidestand switch as the fuel injection wouldn't turn on if either one was activated. However it does activate the fuel pump and still won't start...hence the starter solenoid relay plug.

·
Registered
828 Posts
These Ducati's require a "start procedure lesson". Your battery is dead. If it won't turn over, it's dead. It's probably stone cold dead and not holding a charge. Even with a push start, as it has been sitting for a bit, the high compression of the motor makes these tough to get kicked. I'd check all the electrics as this is good to do anyway, but I'd put cash on the line that your battery is knackered. Also, you may be due for a fuel filter. The fuel pump will draw MAJOR amps if the fuel filter is less than perfect.

Have your battery load tested. It's probably new battery time. Even with a jump, if your battery is gone it may not be enough.

What about the dreaded side stand kill switch? Are you trying to start it with the side stand down? Do you have your kill swith intact? That's the first thing to go if not...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bubbazenetty said:
It's not the neutral switch or the sidestand switch as the fuel injection wouldn't turn on if either one was activated. However it does activate the fuel pump and still won't start...hence the starter solenoid relay plug.
Although this thread is old. This was the problem. Somehow after I had washed it and came off. Although I didn't find the problem until I got to the shop, which was ok because that same week I was bringing it in for the 6k service anyhow. As soon as I brought it in, he found it in 1 minute.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Venomized said:
Although this thread is old. This was the problem. Somehow after I had washed it and came off. Although I didn't find the problem until I got to the shop, which was ok because that same week I was bringing it in for the 6k service anyhow. As soon as I brought it in, he found it in 1 minute.

Make sure you have them pull cams to check all your rockers. Make sure. Call the shop up and explicitly tell them to pull all the cams to check your rockers for the chrome flaking during the 6K service. If they have no idea what you're talking about pick your bike back up and take it elsewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.