Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the 1260 has been out for over a year now....how is it that there are so little exhaust options for the bike or even a link pipe to get rid of the cat? Seems odd to me......all I want is a simple link pipe so I can dump the Cat.....:|

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
How close is it to the 1200? Could you have one of those kits modified to work without spending a ton of $$$?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
How is it that there are so little exhaust options for the bike or even a link pipe to get rid of the cat?
Because the EnviroNazis are growing in strength every year, and it's not worth it for exhaust manufacturers to take them on. Too bad you didn't buy an electric motorcycle with a L-Twin sound track instead. That would really have pleased the EnviroNazis. Or better yet, what do you need a motorcycle for anyway?! Don't you know they are bad for the Mother Earth?! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
So the 1260 has been out for over a year now....how is it that there are so little exhaust options for the bike or even a link pipe to get rid of the cat? Seems odd to me......all I want is a simple link pipe so I can dump the Cat.....:|
Don't you guys just have normal exhaust shops you can go to and they simply cut the cat off and weld in a straight pipe and be done with it? Save weight and louder pipe = happy days

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Don't you guys just have normal exhaust shops you can go to and they simply cut the cat off and weld in a straight pipe and be done with it? Save weight and louder pipe = happy days

Out here in the People's State of Kalifornia I'm sure there's a law on the books where the owner of the exhaust shop who did something like that would be shot.

With lead-free bullets, of course.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

For a bike...no nothing and certainly nobody I would trust, lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That IS an option but a damn expensive one and we are left with no tuning options short of a PC which I don't want. I just want a mid pipe so I can use the stock exhaust which I like and probabaly get away with stock tune.....

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
I have de-catted a few .... ahem ... race bikes (not multi). and the chances of you NOT needing to tune the ecu afterwards is pretty slim. You may be running into a situation where the stock ecu/map has not been cracked yet so the factory is the only option and they are never going to make a race map for a multistrada because some government would sue them as fast as VW got nailed.

Your best bet tuning wise would be a self tune program like a Rapid bike unit and then start with having a tuning shop modify the base rapidbike map first. The base map will not work and there are limits to how much range the self tuning part will cover. Have the base map changed to be closer and then the auto tune feature should improve and handle it from there.

Gains?
power has never been a big gain but weight and heat have dropped considerably. Sound has also been improved enough that the stock mufflers sound is just what you would expect from a aftermarket set of slip ons with a Db killer installed. Better sound but not too loud. Yes it is a lot of work to make it all work right and that = $$ too but in the end you can have a lighter,cooler and better sounding system.

Legal? only on race bikes so beware inspections for emissions where you need this done. Tailpipe CO or visual. To find a pipe builder check your local hot rod builders, motorcycle racers or airports. there are many excellent pipe welders that can make what you want out of stainless and the untrained eye will never know once it matches patina to oem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have de-catted a few .... ahem ... race bikes (not multi). and the chances of you NOT needing to tune the ecu afterwards is pretty slim. You may be running into a situation where the stock ecu/map has not been cracked yet so the factory is the only option and they are never going to make a race map for a multistrada because some government would sue them as fast as VW got nailed.

Your best bet tuning wise would be a self tune program like a Rapid bike unit and then start with having a tuning shop modify the base rapidbike map first. The base map will not work and there are limits to how much range the self tuning part will cover. Have the base map changed to be closer and then the auto tune feature should improve and handle it from there.

Gains?
power has never been a big gain but weight and heat have dropped considerably. Sound has also been improved enough that the stock mufflers sound is just what you would expect from a aftermarket set of slip ons with a Db killer installed. Better sound but not too loud. Yes it is a lot of work to make it all work right and that = $$ too but in the end you can have a lighter,cooler and better sounding system.

Legal? only on race bikes so beware inspections for emissions where you need this done. Tailpipe CO or visual. To find a pipe builder check your local hot rod builders, motorcycle racers or airports. there are many excellent pipe welders that can make what you want out of stainless and the untrained eye will never know once it matches patina to oem.
All very good points....sigh.......

Oh well I guess the Multi stays stock. :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking the same thing. I dont mind the stock performance, I just hate the heat from the cat when its 100 degrees in florida.
I would agree. Honestly in stock form the fueling and drivability is spot on so no complaints but yep, the cat is just a massive heat source right by the shock and rear brake......needs to go.

Somebody...please make a mid pipe....lol :)

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
If anyone is in the area of the state of Maine I know a excellent pipe builder who could perhaps make a piece, he would need to start with a bike to figure it out but if possible he is well capable of doing the work.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Best to check air fuel after making such a change as the cat does change exhaust flow, yes continuing with stock O2 sensors will have the ecu working to keep the bike at emission levels of O2
(.2-0.3 CO) . The question becomes can they do the job well enough?

A roll on dyno graph is one test but keep in mind it is not telling the whole story only a small portion , wide open throttle. Drive ability is just as important and you can often feel if this is close enough for you to be happy, some cannot though. Small throttle openings are used in most riding scenarios so testing should be done at the throttle openings you use and the speeds/rpms you will spend most of your time. Unless you are racing this is not likely going to be WFO.

If you de-cat simply drive the bike as you normally would and see if the drive ability is fine, if you find areas that are not satisfactory get it checked. If you read O2 setting you already know how lean the bikes are due to emissions , this often changes around 4000-5000rpm as you go OFF the O2 sensors. Now you are on the map that was made for the stock pipe and the O2 sensors are no longer adjusting. Then maybe the newer bikes run O2 sensors everywhere, nothing I see on the dyno but possible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it verified that the existing Arrow 1200 Link Pipe (12-14) will not fit a DVT bike? Also why would they make a link pipe for the 18 enduro but not the regular multi? Makes no damn sense.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
For those interested, I got an email back from Leo vince usa, and they said they will have a link pipe and slip on available for the 1260 in the first quarter of 2019. I've never owned one, so I'm not familiar with their build quality etc. But if nothing else, it's an option.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Leo vince pipes were as good as anything else (termi,arrow akra) they just never had the name. I would not hesitate to put one on, in fact I have installed a number of them on 1000 air cooled multi's. to get rid of the udder.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those interested, I got an email back from Leo vince usa, and they said they will have a link pipe and slip on available for the 1260 in the first quarter of 2019. I've never owned one, so I'm not familiar with their build quality etc. But if nothing else, it's an option.
YEsssss!! That's what I want to hear. I think until someone has a tuning option I will just do the mid pipe with stock exhaust and see how she runs...:grin2: Of course with a mid pipe we will need an exhaust valve servo eliminator.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts