Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen or heard that phrase until I became a member here. It seems like such a self centered phrase for some reason. "New to me" ... well no shit! I mean, a 1995 900 SS is obviously not ~new~, and it's obviously yours.

How about "1996 900CR, new owner, need help"

I don't know, the whole ~me~ thing ... it just sounds sortof narcissistic.

It's probably nothing, I guess it's just (wait for it) ... me.

:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rex - I think people like "new to me" vs "used". In other words, it's not new, but it's new to me!
It occurs to me that when you're talking about bikes up about 3 years old, there's lots of leftovers still out there. So the fact that the bike is a 2018 doesn't necessarily mean it's used.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Methinks its just sales. I encountered the term in the 90s. Basically, it just makes the buyer feel better.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Plus, when someone posts they have a new bike, instead of us asking "new or used", or "I just got a new, used bike", saying I just got a "new-to-me" bike means it's used, but you just got it. It's actually pretty efficient.

·
Registered
41 Posts
well, it never bothered me before you brought it up....! 😜
I've always taken the phrase as directed at the vehicle rather than a reflection of the owner. its 'new' from the perspective of the owner. 'new owner' would be about the owner, not the vehicle.

·
Administrator
12,358 Posts
Well...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It's simple, clear, and accurate. I've seen and used the phrase all my life, for many things.

PhilB

Reactions: hypermo

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
I think it's a pretty accurate description. Doesn't seem narcissistic at all.

Now if someone wrote something like, "What's up losers with your POS outdated bikes. I just picked up a 2019 Panigale, and wow! It is the best bike ever! And I'm the best Ducati rider ever! I bet you guys wish you could be me, and have this bike!

Well then...maybe I'd agree with your POV. But until then...new to me sounds pretty good 😉

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Properly cared for...............at this point in life.........I will never be the first again. Dont GAF, generally at this point, they know what to do. Annnnnd HOW to......... There was this woman once, she said to me, I got some miles they are all highway miles. You are the first to take me offroad. She was alright. Shoulda married her. Anyhow....
Back on point, Ive used new to me a few times, I see it as appropriate, I got it, I know a bit about it but not personally.

Reactions: Aguiar and scott

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I think “ new to me “ is an efficient term to use. I almost never buy a new bike, but when I buy a used bike I’m just as excited as if it was new. Inevitably though, if I don’t add “ to me“ someone will take issue with my terminology . I just think of my “ new” bike as pre- broken
in. I don’t have to baby it, or worry about the first scratch, or first drop. Someone took care of all that for me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
hmm..partially-used? man, we are bored, aren't we?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts