Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am supposed to head to ECM next Wednesday and I'm faced with an issue here.

Everything came apart just fine...going back together is a different story. The front sprocket is extremely difficult to get on the spline, I actually have to wedge it on and then tap it the rest of the way to get it in place (once on the spline it slides just fine) however I notice when I install the sprocket the way the manual says to the inner link of the chain interferes with the clutch slave???

Take a look at the picture and share some wisdom. I've measured the replacement and stock sprocket and they are similar in width, diameter etc. I tightened the nut down as far as I could with the bike in first...didn't make a difference.

Now if I flip the sprocket around, it lines up fine but that's now how it came apart and that's not how the manual shows it should fit. What you see in the picture is what the manual shows.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add, I've measured the chain and all is well there. I've tried refitting the stock front sprocket and it's no easier to put on than the replacement.

Does the spline shift outward causing this issue?

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Send me some more photos in the morning. Send a few zoomed out a little bit so I can see the clutch slave. Also, take a picture of the countersprocket without the chain on it facing the teeth of the countersprocket so I can see the orientation of the countersprocket, nut, washer, etc. Its been a while on a Multi, but for some reason I remember taking off the clutch slave cylinder while replacing chain and sprockets. It got reinstalled at the end.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Send me some more photos in the morning. Send a few zoomed out a little bit so I can see the clutch slave. Also, take a picture of the countersprocket without the chain on it facing the teeth of the countersprocket so I can see the orientation of the countersprocket, nut, washer, etc. Its been a while on a Multi, but for some reason I remember taking off the clutch slave cylinder while replacing chain and sprockets. It got reinstalled at the end.

I just did mine yesterday on a 2012 and I didn’t even come close to the slave cylinder. The plastic cover was kind of a bitch but I got it out and back in. Would have been easier without the slave cylinder but the chain definitely never hit it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
That is strange. I'm getting ready to swap sprockets and chain on my '12 soon. Hope I don't run into anything like that.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I am supposed to head to ECM next Wednesday and I'm faced with an issue here.

Everything came apart just fine...going back together is a different story. The front sprocket is extremely difficult to get on the spline, I actually have to wedge it on and then tap it the rest of the way to get it in place (once on the spline it slides just fine) however I notice when I install the sprocket the way the manual says to the inner link of the chain interferes with the clutch slave???

Take a look at the picture and share some wisdom. I've measured the replacement and stock sprocket and they are similar in width, diameter etc. I tightened the nut down as far as I could with the bike in first...didn't make a difference.

Now if I flip the sprocket around, it lines up fine but that's now how it came apart and that's not how the manual shows it should fit. What you see in the picture is what the manual shows.

So I wish I could be more help but one thing I can say is that the sprocket should ABSOLUTELY NOT have to be forced onto the spline... it sounds like maybe one of your splines has been bent/damaged (maybe when you were hammering the lock washer over). It would not take much to cause a problem so it might not be much of a mark but if it distorts a spline so some of it is in the slot where the sprocket needs to be you'll have a problem. If it was my bike I'd see if I could find any damage and use a small file to carefully smooth it out. Sprocket should slide on easily, maybe a little lube might help.

Does the nut hang up too getting started on the shaft?

With regards to clearance... that's even more weird. Do you have a caliper? If not you can get inexpensive ones at just about any hardware or auto parts store. Pick one up and measure the sprocket to make sure it's right... then mount the sprocket and make sure it's seating to the same location on the spline shaft that the old sprocket did (use the butt end of the caliper for a depth measurement). Basically-snoop around until you figure out what's different between the two sprockets when mounted that would explain the clearance issue.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I wish I could be more help but one thing I can say is that the sprocket should ABSOLUTELY NOT have to be forced onto the spline... it sounds like maybe one of your splines has been bent/damaged (maybe when you were hammering the lock washer over). It would not take much to cause a problem so it might not be much of a mark but if it distorts a spline so some of it is in the slot where the sprocket needs to be you'll have a problem. If it was my bike I'd see if I could find any damage and use a small file to carefully smooth it out. Sprocket should slide on easily, maybe a little lube might help.

Does the nut hang up too getting started on the shaft?

With regards to clearance... that's even more weird. Do you have a caliper? If not you can get inexpensive ones at just about any hardware or auto parts store. Pick one up and measure the sprocket to make sure it's right... then mount the sprocket and make sure it's seating to the same location on the spline shaft that the old sprocket did (use the butt end of the caliper for a depth measurement). Basically-snoop around until you figure out what's different between the two sprockets when mounted that would explain the clearance issue.
Nut goes on fine. I've got a caliper and measured what I took off vs. what I put on and it all matches rather closely.

I'm not sure how to explain it any better but it's not like there's enough room to just slide the sprocket on (old or new). You have to situate part of it behind the frame to get it started on the spline therefor wedging it on.

I'm headed to the mechanic now...I don't have time to fool around with it...hopefully he'll help me out.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Take the slave cylinder off and everything should fit.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting the sprocket on is less of an issue. Getting the chain to go around the sprocket without hitting the slave.

I’m sure this all boils down to my lack of experience...even though this is a simple procedure. It’s in the capable hands of Mark and his team at DucShop and I have no doubts they’ll remedy this issue soon.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well the fix is in. The mechanic reversed the sprocket from what the manual I looked at shows. Maybe there’s a difference for 2013-2014 bikes from the 2010-2012??? He put the flange out while the manual for the 2010-2012 shows flange in.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
So your saying your sprocket was installed backwards originally ? Then the front and rear sprockets were not lining up ? Now they are ? Was this the first sprocket change ever on this bike ?

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
So your saying your sprocket was installed backwards originally ? Then the front and rear sprockets were not lining up ? Now they are ? Was this the first sprocket change ever on this bike ?
I'd guess he didn't notice how the original sprocket was mounted, and was reinstalling the new one per the incorrect manual. Been known to happen. :laugh:

Only logical explanation.

Reactions: oleary

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That's crazy. I have a 13 and changed chains and sprockets this weekend. Mine is exactly opposite of yours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'd guess he didn't notice how the original sprocket was mounted, and was reinstalling the new one per the incorrect manual. Been known to happen. :laugh:

Only logical explanation.
@mollycbr123 thanks for injecting some humor.

The original sprocket was installed flange towards the case, as the service manual indicates it should be (I specifically remember the original orientation as I was flattening out the washer to unbolt the sprocket). When I installed the new sprocket the correct way, it was difficult to put on and caused the chain to hit the slave. I then tried to reinstall the original sprocket to see if I was imagining things however I couldn’t even get it back on the driveshaft in the correct orientation. I did notice that I could install the sprocket backwards and it seemed to all line up but I knew that wasn’t right.

That’s when I took it to DucShop...

They installed it backwards (as well as riveted & installed the chain), charged me 1.25 hours of labor and said “it’s installed” and you can pick your bike up.

I rode it for just over 50 miles yesterday, everything seems fine and there’s no excessive wear on the sprockets (but maybe 50 miles isn’t enough to do so?).

I plan to call back tomorrow when they open and ask some questions because I’m not thrilled as to how it was installed. I could’ve installed it backwards BUT I took it to a very well respected Ducati dealer to address the issue.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve done quite a bit of looking around at install vids and other pictures of the front sprocket since yesterday and I’ve seen ZERO other examples of the front sprocket installed with the flange facing out (backwards).

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
I’ve done quite a bit of looking around at install vids and other pictures of the front sprocket since yesterday and I’ve seen ZERO other examples of the front sprocket installed with the flange facing out (backwards).
I'd guess if it's installed wrong the chain wouldn't be lining up on the guides properly (and wouldn't be aligned with the rear sprocket which will cause you problems eventually). Have you looked down the chain to see if it sits properly on the plastic guide?

I'm not sure you'd be able to see sprocket misalignment but I imagine you'll see weird wear patterns on the sprockets after a couple thousand miles.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'd guess if it's installed wrong the chain wouldn't be lining up on the guides properly (and wouldn't be aligned with the rear sprocket which will cause you problems eventually). Have you looked down the chain to see if it sits properly on the plastic guide?

I'm not sure you'd be able to see sprocket misalignment but I imagine you'll see weird wear patterns on the sprockets after a couple thousand miles.
It's definitely installed backwards according to the service manual. I'm curious for anyone who has a 2010 - 2014, how many threads are visible at the end of the drive shaft with the sprocket installed. It seems like in some pictures, the nut is almost flush with the end of the drive shaft but I have several threads visible.

Alignment looks great the way it sits actually. Mark (at Ducshop) mentioned specifically that it would've been out of alignment (and I agreed from when I'd look at it myself) if it were installed with the flange in. I'm just hoping there aren't any longevity related issues to the drive train. I'll be keeping a close eye on it after I get back from ECM to see what the sprockets look like with about a 1,000 miles on them.

The chain will have around 1,300 or so miles on it by the time I take it in for the Desmo service.

Here's a picture of a stock front sprocket off a 2013 someone just posted on the Multistrada FB page.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've just installed a new chain and sprockets on my '13.
Flange in, for sure, both on the original sprocket and the replacement. Verified by sighting down the chain guide.
The new chain went on easy, no issues.

I know you don't want to hear this, and Ducshop says it's OK, but I would not be comfortable riding the bike until I knew what happened and why.
That's just weird.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If the chain isn't rubbing anything and appears to be aligned, ride it. Did you try to check the alignment using a piece of thread between front and rear sprockets? You can do this quickly and easily with the chain on just to set your mind at rest that whatever else is messed up, the sprockets are lined up and you won't be putting excess wear on them and there's no danger of the chain walking off the rear if it gets really loose for any reason.

Clearly if the chain hits the clutch slave when the sprocket is reversed, that's wrong.

If the old sprocket won't work in the "correct" orientation, your memory from taking it off must be mistaken... the clutch slave hasn't moved.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I plan to call them back and ask some questions tomorrow. The chain is in alignment, they verified as have I. @shil, do you by chance know how many threads where showing after you mounted the sprocket/washer/nut? I have about 3 threads showing but when I look at other photos, the nut seems to be almost flush with the end of the driveshaft. I probably need to get some to measure the length of the driveshaft and compare it to mine. I know the sprocket came off flange in, no doubt in my mind. When it came off, it came off easy. However, I can't explain what happened afterwards that wouldn't allow either the original nor the replacement to go back on easily. I can't imagine Ducati mounting the sprocket backwards at the factory.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts