Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are brake rotors " floating " ??? would solid one peice rotors not be as good...would seem they would be more rigid and stable. Just curious !!!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Why are brake rotors " floating " ??? would solid one peice rotors not be as good...would seem they would be more rigid and stable. Just curious !!!
this is what has been explained to me by a brembo engineer:

when you apply pad pressure to the calipers via the brake lever, the pistons in the calipers will sometimes not push the pads onto the rotor at exactly the same time ... there can be a few milliseconds delay between inner and outer pads making contact with the rotor. this can delay the braking action and also cause some vibration to occur in the rotors.

by allowing the rotors to float off the carriers (accomplished by using buttons that allow the rotors to float side to side on the carriers), the rotor can center itself when the pads are applied when braking. this negates almost all of the potential for rotor vibration, as the pads make contact with the rotor a few milliseconds sooner than non-floating rotors allow.

i am eleventy billion percent sure that others will weigh in with their theories of why floating rotors work/don't work ... so let's see what happens next :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Oh, I thought this thread had something to do with why my gf's jabalongas bubble and float on the surface when we're relaxing in the hot tub. It's mesmerizing...

Carry on. :cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oh, I thought this thread had something to do with why my gf's jabalongas bubble and float on the surface when we're relaxing in the hot tub. It's mesmerizing...

Carry on. :cool:
Photos or it never happened.:D

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
The front brake discs on most of our bikes are "semi-floating", which I guess is less than "full floating", but exactly how is not completely clear to me. I can see that the oem discs can't move from side to side very much, but I don't know if that's what is meant by that term.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The front brake discs on most of our bikes are "semi-floating", which I guess is less than "full floating", but exactly how is not completely clear to me. I can see that the oem discs can't move from side to side very much, but I don't know if that's what is meant by that term.
It's just that the stock brakes use a two piece rotor with buttons, that supposedly allows for some movement. This is contrasted with a one-piece solid disc.

·
7,733 Posts
I also thought there was something do it with heat and expansion, as in floaters/semi-floaters won't warp like some solid rotors when they get hot.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I also thought there was something do it with heat and expansion, as in floaters/semi-floaters won't warp like some solid rotors when they get hot.
That didn't work out as planned on the ST though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Can you still get the "full floating" buttons? My 900 SS/SP had full floaters but the 748 and the monster have semis. I liked little rattle of the full jobbies.

·
Registered
439 Posts
dead right there

That didn't work out as planned on the ST though.

...which his why I have ordered Brake Tech iron discs, on the strength of a lot of research on this Forum. Pisses me off that I have to do this on a bike that has only done 13000 miles (27000 km) and I also believe I had the problem (less so) inside warranty. I should have followed that through.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Another reason that semi floaters are used, is to keep rotating mass lower. The carriers on Ducs are aluminum and the rotors are stainless. Having them be all steel would add a bit of unsprung mass to the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts