Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across this situation multiple times, the spare parts always has to be shipped in from Italy. Why can't they have a warehouse located in the US and ship from there?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If I had to guess I'd say overhead.

Dealers stock consumables and maintenance items for current models but that's pretty much it. Inventory that doesn't move is a liability.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I can only tell you what they told us back then. I was working the Parts Desk at a dealership.

TPG had just taken over from Cagiva and had done a Cost Benefit Analysis. They closed the warehouse out in Cali because of the overhead involved in running one.

They claimed it made no sense to ship parts over here and warehouse them, when it was cheaper to airmail them directly to the dealers from Italy. They claimed it helped hold down the price of parts too, but you couldn't prove it by me.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
TPG did that because they were not intending on paying dealers on time for warranty work, so it made sense not to floorplan the parts stateside either.

As for now, there are at least four dealers in the US that have a fairly robust stock of anything Ducati made in the last 6 years. I hope there are actually more, but that is my opinion from what I see on the internet. But for my 1991? Ha! Every OEM part has come from Italy when I ordered it stateside from a dealer.

Even a Chevy dealer orders brake pads for a 1968 Camaro from NAPA as they need them, it is the whole just in time inventory plan.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Even a Chevy dealer orders brake pads for a 1968 Camaro from NAPA as they need them, it is the whole just in time inventory plan.
That's a very interesting business model which I just happened to read about the other day, referring to a Ford dealership that was doing so much wholesale business with Napa that they bought a franchise and brought it in-house. 75% of the wholesale side is to themselves.

Napa has the most sophisticated distribution in the automotive industry after a massive investment about 15 years ago. Napa builds their own catalogs, which are more accurate than the shared systems used by many other brands. However, Carquest is giving them a run for the money with something like 5300 locations to Napa;s 6000. The most interesting thing about Carquest to me is that they build a model with a concrete parking lot, which says to me, they are in it for the long haul.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I remember that it used to take longer to get a part from California than it did when they started coming directly from Italy. Unless you needed it during August...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
When I ordered my fuel sensor from Ducati Omaha(showed in stock) I got an email a day later saying it was coming from Italy to them, then to me, all in all it was about a 9 day process and I ordered on a Wednesday or Thursday so factor in a weekend, plus a reship. I was impatient and my dealer in ABQ had their hands on one so I had some friends pick it up.

To one up that, when I ordered my Rapidbike tuner from Calsport, I paid on a Tuesday off eBay around lunch time here, UK to New Mexico(rural town at that) and I had my hands on the part Friday. 3 days from the UK to NM.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I ordered my fuel sensor from Ducati Omaha(showed in stock) I got an email a day later saying it was coming from Italy to them, then to me, all in all it was about a 9 day process and I ordered on a Wednesday or Thursday so factor in a weekend, plus a reship. I was impatient and my dealer in ABQ had their hands on one so I had some friends pick it up.

To one up that, when I ordered my Rapidbike tuner from Calsport, I paid on a Tuesday off eBay around lunch time here, UK to New Mexico(rural town at that) and I had my hands on the part Friday. 3 days from the UK to NM.
Similar experience. Ordered rear wheel washers and wind screen ball join from Ducati Omaha. The washers they had in stock but the ball joint came from Italy and took 12 days. Ordered on 5/22, got the email on 5/23, shipped from Omaha on 5/31 and delivered to my house on 6/2. It appears at least that Ducati Omaha turned it around the same day or the next day after receiving it from Italy.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Well, I suppose I can mention one of the items I bought recently from Ducati of Omaha. Front turn signal lens ordered on Friday, received from Italy on Wednesday. Shipping was @$6 as I recall.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well, I suppose I can mention one of the items I bought recently from Ducati of Omaha. Front turn signal lens ordered on Friday, received from Italy on Wednesday. Shipping was @$6 as I recall.
Any word on a new Duc dealer in town there now? I heard OAM may take it over?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
for a few years the warehouse was in Columbus (Rickenbacker air base) and things were pretty ok. that's what I was told, anyway - never needed to order any parts from dealers. this was before the Cali warehouse so, ancient history.

no good way to do it, really. it does make for higher costs to have things sitting (potentially for years) on shelves and to staff the place. but, shipping costs have gone through the roof in the last half-decade so shipping a containerful and storing it has to be cheaper than sending thousands of individual items, no matter how small.

you would think.....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I had a friend who lived in the SF Bay Area. He got so tired of waiting for parts for his problem-plagued brand new Multi that he sold it and bought a KTM... who happened to have a parts warehouse a few miles from his house.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If the parts are exported from Italy via expedited air to the local dealerships, I guess the transit time is no longer than having a warehouse located in California and having it ship via ground. That's how parts are shipped within the US from warehouses, and depending what region you live, the transit time could vary from 1-5 days.

In terms of overhead and cost, depends where you locate the warehouse. California is expensive, and could be subject to local or state taxes and it's not centrally located. I would like to see the largest Ducati Dealership in the US work in conjunction with Ducati in Italy and have them oversee and maintain the warehouse. I'm sure, they have a historical record on what parts would be considered popular items. I know local dealerships likes to keep their own inventory level down to reduce cost and increase their cash flow. But if they worked with Ducati, the parts could just be on consignment and all they would have is the space to store it and a guy to pick it and ship it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there any particular reason the dealers can't just order the part and have it drop shipped directly to you vs. having to ship twice, once from Italy to the dealer and another from the dealer to you? Something to do with customs or import taxes that I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I think it does have something to do with import duties, business to business delivery from Europe is a great deal cheaper to start with than direct to a consumer. More than that I do not know for sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is there any particular reason the dealers can't just order the part and have it drop shipped directly to you vs. having to ship twice, once from Italy to the dealer and another from the dealer to you? Something to do with customs or import taxes that I'm not aware of?
I would also guess that a place like Ducati Omaha does enough business that they are getting multiple items every day. Cheaper to have 20 items shipped in one package from Italy to Omaha then have 20 separate items shipped to multiple locations in the US.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Nothing recently, but the new OAM showroom is being built to handle several different brands. Still in negotiations.

And they do have a new logo, looks sorta Italian,...

Solid, good to hear, I lived out there for awhile and my kids are still there so I ride down a lot. I wasnt too happy with the last place in town.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts