Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
Gentlemen, we have a modetraitor amongst us. We will convene in a fortnight to handle this. East coast brings the torches, west coast brings the pitchforks. Any moderator that doesn't join us is one of them, and I've had my suspicions with Scott for awhile now with all this Austrian/German business.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
You have a lot of choices when it comes to buying a motorcycle. Why wouldn't you buy the one that you thought was the best design ? Why would you buy one that you thought was not a good design ? I remember breaking a cam chain tensioner located at the center of an engine necessitating a full engine teardown and not being thrilled with that design too much either. I’ve bent pushrods, broken valve springs, bent valves. All inferior designs. Wankel ? Seals fail, don’t they ? Crappy design. Diesel ? Another goofy design. Flatheads ? If they were so good, where’d they go ? 2 strokes ? Polluting oil burners. Steam ? Who came up with that one ? Perfection is a funny thing, isn’t it.
So you bought a Ducati.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Gentlemen, we have a modetraitor amongst us. We will convene in a fortnight to handle this. East coast brings the torches, west coast brings the pitchforks. Any moderator that doesn't join us is one of them, and I've had my suspicions with Scott for awhile now with all this Austrian/German business.
I have both ready........................

Why belts? Cause they fookin work. Next up: Which oil is best?

Holy fuck..................

·
Premium Member
5,024 Posts
To play devil's advocate, wouldn't the gear driven cam system add to the nostalgia of the Desmo with the sound? I thought the purpose of Italian motorcycles and cars (Ferrari) is the passion, style and sound of the engines?

Also, the advantage to race engines with gear driven systems. For example, when Max Biaggi won the World Super Bike Championship on the Aprilia in 2010 they used gear driven cams which gave them an advantage then it was banned in 2011 because Aprilia didn't use gears for their road bikes.
It's only nostalgic if it's been around for a while. ;)

Personally, I LOVE the sound of a gear driven system... there is a lovely mechanical "whine" that accompanies the normal engine sound. I've had a boner for for the NC35 for 20 years now, and have had an on again, off again "thing" for the RC51 since the first time I saw one.

That being said, the sound that the Desmoquattro makes is... well... just fucking sexy. Riding it is a deep, pulsating, throbbing, experience... and mine's just a 748R, I can't imagine what an SPS/996R are like.

·
Super Moderator
26,216 Posts
I float. Therefore... :unsure:

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
Prophet that was a very nice post. As an engineer your discussion was logical and succinct.
I agree whole-heartedly.

My 1198S corse with the dry clutch sound, the fire breathing torque is a marvel to ride.

I wouldn't change a thing on it.

Art that moves.

I see the advantage of a low maintenance Japanese bike.
But my Ducati's moooooove me.

And keep me from killing members here with the ban hammer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
...it seems like everyone has forgotten that Ducati did, in fact, produce a modern (2008-2009) motorcycle with gear-driven cams....the D16RR!

A lot of the reasons that Ducati went with the belt system have been given already by ProhetPVD. Another one, and probably the all-encompassing, main reason...because RACING!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts