Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Really i start to doubt myself as a motorcyclist..

I've owned 4 bikes..

1) yamaha xj600 -> wrecked wheel bearings.
2) Duc ST4 -> wrecked wheel bearings
3) BMW R1100S -> accident.. so no time to wreck the bearings
4) Duc ST3 -> wrecked wheel bearings yesterday.. very sudden..

Oke i know that the old bearings of the ST's are of lesser quality if one would compare it with SKF bearings for example, that why i was planning to replace them anyway next week.
Well i didn't make it that far.. Also they were old, so maybe it is all just "normal" wear. But i can't get my head around the fact i wrecked the bearings on almost all the bikes i owned (oke, they were all oleder bikes.. )

So i just wanna ask.. is there something wrong one can do so one wrecks the bearing.. and ifso what..

Kind regards

Matt

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh,..

Thanks but no not really. Oke can't say i've never done it, but rarely and never aim at mechanical parts when i did. (like the axl)

My current ST3 i haven't washed at all till now. But i will defintely keep it at mind but doubt it could be the cause.

Grtz Matt

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What sort of mileage and conditions are you talking about? Do you live near a beach, where sand and salt air can take a toll? Or ride in the winter, where road salt and sand can have an effect? Or ride dirt roads/offroad much? Do much wheelies/stoppies/jumps?

I ride in all weather, except when there is ice on the roads, and don't ride dirt/off road much. I have been getting about 100K per set on wheel bearings. If you're getting more than 60K, you're probably OK. If you're wearing them out in 20K, there may be a specific cause.

PhilB

·
Registered
235 Posts
How much do you weigh your bike down? Passenger, cargo, etc.? And not to get too personal, but, how much do you weight?

Weight will have an effect on the life of the bearings, too. I learned that one the hard way.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@jahjah: not sure.. they are bearings on a bike i bought 2e hand. don't think they've been changed before sale.
but later and deeper research kind apointing out that things were wrong.. not normal situation here.
@SS904: because the once i found in the past on my st4.. were really terrible. the once i found left on my new ST3 is good.

@ slowdive: Chain too tight? (nope)
in this particulare case.. either of these two could have been part of it. Axle bolts too tight, Wheel alignment off. since i didn't put it in.. can't be sure either way.

@ am not sure about how long i use them.. never wore out any i put in myself.. and never sure about how long they were in there before i replaced them.
but i do ride in winter with salted roads.. and not near the ocean / sea.
@KB02 i weigh around 85 kilo.. BMI of around 21 ;) nothing to be ashamed of.. but i doubt that has been of influence.

Anyway.,, thanks for all your input guys.. ut things have evolved.. and just started a new topic on this.. :(

Kind regards Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts