Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been “shopping” for something special for the last year. Reading, test riding, kicking tires....
I keep going back & forth. I’m leaning towards a Ducati, but the allure of the F4 is hard to shake. I’ve never ridden the F4, but, I have ridden a 1090rr Brutale. Just wondering if anyone else has had to choose between the two and what swayed your decision to buy the Ducati.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the “crashing” part. Parts seem VERY expensive, and the wait time seems excessive. The looks thing....well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I’m guessing is, the ride experience isn’t as good as the bike looks?

·
Read Only
151 Posts
I'd probably be just as happy riding an Aprilia or MV but Ducati has a better dealer network, which is pretty important if you don't do your own service and repairs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I could just test drive one (F4), then I wouldn’t even bother to ask. But, that’ll never happen. The 1098s was just so impressive. But everybody’s got one (well, not really).

·
Bon Vivant
11,583 Posts
I've had both an F4 and the 1098S and R. The Ducati is more comfortable and parts for service and repair are much easier to find. Service is much easier because there are a lot of techs who can work on Ducatis but very few who can work on MV. The MV has it's own personality and for me it is really special, no other bike rides, feels, or sounds like an MV and to this day it is by a pretty big margin the fastest bike I've ever been on. It would do 110 in 1st gear. If the riding positiona and seat was at all tolerable I'd still own one, I think MV makes absolutely beautiful bikes.

The ducatis are much better in every practical way and that is really saying something because ducatis are neither practical nor comfortable, but compared to an MV they are many magnitudes better.
I found My MV's to be very reliable and I had a reliable source of service for it back in Denver. Not sure I would have that here in NC although there is a dealer about an hour and half away.

If you are a person who want more practicality and comfort you should get the Ducati. If beautiful exotica is more important and you dont mind suffering to have it get the MV.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have bikes...so it’s not like comfort & all-our reliability is paramount. I want something that looks and feels “special” to me. Something raw. A real race bike (with lights and such). It’s gotta be a 1st gen bike. Was yours a 1st gen or 2nd gen?

·
Bon Vivant
11,583 Posts
Mine was a 2005, I believe that is first gen, I've also owned 2 brutales, a 1078RR and a 1090RR both fabulous bikes.
You compare that blue F4 to this Tricolore 1098 and tell me which is more exotic and beautiful,

I loved the MV but this bike is way more exciting and real with it's trellis frame, and open bodywork, the clutch chattering in mechanical glory, this bike is something very special. I wish I knew where it was now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s what I mean about the 1098s that I rode...
The dry clutch, the loud Termis hanging out the back. The engine clattering. It does feel like a race bike. But that MV is like the hot chick from high school that nobody ever got to date! When I see people say,”I used to have an MV...” and they got rid of it, I think, wow....how do ya let that go?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can I further a guess...?
The Brutale was disappointing compared to the F4? And the Ducati would out-accelerate the F4?

·
Registered
111 Posts
With the massive depreciation of brands, I own bikes from both. Bikes are cheap and don't take up much space, why beholden yourself to one? I do definitely prefer the MV community over the Ducati. In my experience they are far more helpful. I would also definitely opt for an F4 over the xx98 or xx99 series.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Very interesting.....
I feel like I can get a Ducati at any time.
But a one-owner F4 ......not so much
Plus....I can’t find a Ducati I want right now. They all seem to be missing the key code card, only offer one key, and lack any service records.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Life is short, try everything.
I’m hetro. No thanks. ?
Doing contract work for the importer here I get the chance to rid everything. The F4 is big and feels heavy and like the rest of the range, is messy to work on. The F3 800 is at the other end of the spectrum, feels like an R6 on steroids but still a bastard to work on. Parts are slow to arrive and spendy, had to wait 6 mounts for cush drive rubbers and 2 mounts for some decals. Customers weren’t happy.

·
Bon Vivant
11,583 Posts
Can I further a guess...?
The Brutale was disappointing compared to the F4? And the Ducati would out-accelerate the F4?

You couldnt be more wrong on both accounts, The Brutale is a beast and a fantastic track bike and everyday rider - except - I couldnt find a comfortable seat - Tried 4 different ones including having a custom one made twice. The 1098 is no slouch but the F4 is faster in both top speed and acceleration. It just sucks to ride it.

I think for most people the choice is simple, you either want a V twin or you want an I4 - most Ducati enthusiasts like twins and do not like 4's. And most people want a reputable dealer close by with parts available. That is rare in most places in the states for MV. Those two things alone make the decision an easy one.

Personally, I grew up riding 4 cyl bikes so my love for 4 cyl bikes is an exception in the Ducati crowd.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I ride naked bikes, and do so daily for transportation. I did test the Brutale, and loved the way it rode -- it was a fantastic bike. But I like the power curve of a twin better than a four, and the gas mileage and range were a killer. And, since I depend on it for daily transport, I needed it to be repairable quickly when needed. So I've been going with the Monsters. If I had multiple bikes, an MV would probably be in the group. But not as main transport.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts