Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been tossing the ideal of selling the ST2 and picking up a Multi. They look comfortable for long rides and flickable though I've never ridden one. So my question is, of all the other models of Ducatis why did you buy a Multi?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was looking for something more comfortable than my SSie, for long touring with pillion. The Multi does give more space and a more upright riding position, but the seats can be quite hard - even the later models and with additional padding added.

However, I also found that the more upright riding style helped me to stop riding like a loon on the road. I have my racing for that after all.

At first, it took a long time to bond with my Multi and I wasn't a big fan, even after 2 weeks of touring in Spain. Now, 3 years later, I'm very much at one with it.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I bought out of a desire to do some touring, what prompted me was our very own Ride Tales section. I had two superbikes and that meant duplication, either one could do the long haul. So I revamped everything, traded my 916 for an 07 1100S and sold my 999S and bought an upgraded 999R. Best motorcycle decisions I have ever made.

I immediately dove into fixing some of the minor glitches the Multi may or may not have, depending on the owner. The two I discovered was inadequate wind protection in particular against wind buffeting and a means to smooth out the power and make the bike less jerky at slow speeds. I found the solution to the wind problem by doing research on various windscreens and settling on buying the MRA Vario windscreen with adjustable spoiler. I thought highly enough of the MRA that I worked with Motowheels on putting together a group buy over on a Multistrada specific website. By last count the thread is around 160 pages and the initial group buy number of screens (20) might be sold out. However, Motowheels still has them in stock. I found immediate relief with the screen against wind buffeting, the main culprit. Now I can cruise down the highway without getting beaten up. The wind that does hit me is clean and just at the top of my shoulders. I found by adjusting the multiple settings on the screen there is an optimum position there for just about anyone's shape. Its an extremely well made and hi tech looking screen. Its closest competitor in concept only is the Laminar Lip, the only problem is the fact the Laminar Lip is ugly by all accounts, isn't adjustable and only comes in clear.

The second issue for me is the aforementioned jerkiness one may experience with their Multi power. This issue can be resolved simply and reasonably. Whether you put on an aftermarket exhaust or not, install a FatDuc manipulator which in essence fools the ECU into a less lean mixture. Multis come from the factory a little on the lean side, even more so once an aftermarket exhaust is put on. However, I have found out of all the exhausts made the Zard product seems to work best with the stock ECU. It wouldn't matter anyway because I would install a FatDuc regardless. You can get by with a de-cat eliminator pipe which removes the ugly "utter" cat underneath the bike without any add ons like an ECU or PC, but if you were to add one more element to your aftermarket modification you have to add something to resolve the lean fuel mixture issue. Based on all the stuff I have read the FatDuc is the business.

You can add to the benefits of the FatDuc by also installing iridium plugs, they have the ability to smooth out the low end power and by having both all of the loose ends are covered. I just installed the iridiums last week and have yet to test ride the bike because its been well over a 100 here since, but I did notice a smoother response as I throttled up off idle. No imagination there, it was real so I expect some nice results on the test ride. I haven't gotten around to installing the FatDuc just yet, but I will. Another board member here (Olaverez) just emailed me in regards to his new Multi. He just traded across his black Multi for a red one. What he found amazing was the difference in power delivery between the two bikes, the new red bike being so much smoother than his 08 Multi. He indicated the new bike is equipped with both the FatDuc and the iridium plugs. The improvements Olaverez described are exactly the improvements others have detailed after the FatDuc was installed. It is unknown at this time how much the iridiums contributed since they were both installed. I'll be in a position to feel the difference once I have had a chance to test my bike and later on test it with both products installed. He also said his bike is running much cooler than what he was accustomed too. The only downside to the improvements is a lost of some fuel economy, this hasn't deterred anyone that I know because the benefits far outweigh that.

The seating issue is a personal one. Some people have no problem with the stock seat, a vast improvement over the earlier Multis. I went on my longest ride yet last week, about 6 to 6.5 hours in the saddle with breaks. My butt was sore going home, thats for sure so in my case I would likely upgrade to improve that situation. The latest I read about that subject indicates the DP gel seat isn't that great, there are others we are familiar with like the Sargent or Corbin also the Airhawk has some good reviews.

Lastly, I would have the suspension dialed in by a guru and eventually set the bike up to handle heated gear (great stuff). The bike is likely one of the best all around motorcycles available. I like the fact if you want to dice it up in the twisties, it has superbike heritage with the trellis frame and full Ohlins suspension (S, however all 09s are S models now). Of course you then have the comfort and up right seating for the long haul as well.

The 2010 model will see a drastic change with the introduction of the water cooled 1098 motor. Mixed reviews at this stage and personally I have no desire to trade mine in. One big reason is maintenance and the other is I'm very happy with the power the 2V motor produces. If you ever do your own maintenance the 2v is traditionally the easiest of the bunch to do and the motor has always had a very good reputation for reliability. One glitch from 03 to 06 was the weak valve guide problem, a hit and miss issue. Likely had to do with sub letting again, like the old rocker problems of the earlier superbikes.

Good luck with the bike, I certainly like mine, it is just so much easier to ride compared to a Superbike.

·
Registered
525 Posts
999 Monoposto /= Passenger thus (GF:()

Multi = GF :) = I keep the 999

It is a simple mathmatical logic equation for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys; it's most helpful.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Its pretty simple...most of us who've bought a multi did so because we rode a multi. Its not a bike that will sell many of itself on a showroom floor...let it show you what it can do!

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
After years on sportbikes and sport tourers, the upright ergos of the multi is what sold me. I doesn't hurt that it has turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun to ride!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
overheard on the recent sunday ride that John mentioned was the following, " don't test ride a multi, because if you do you'll buy one".
I decided to buy a sportclassic when they were first shown in previews. went to the dealer and found that it would be another year before they came out. was given a test ride on the multi and that ended any thought of the SC.
I've done track days and multi-state trips along with dirt roads adventures on the multi and haven't seen anything in the market to make me want to change bikes. love the simplicity of the aircooled twin and the power it has.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
for me it was all about choosing a motorcycle that offered long-distance comfort, sport-bike handling capability, a proven motor and Italian design. i chose the Multistrada and swear that it's the best all-around motorcycle i've owned yet. recently did 650 miles on it and my only complaint was that of my gel-seat not offering what i thought it would for all day comfort. it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. like John said, the addition of the irridium plugs and mostly the fat duc manipulator offers a much more smooth response down low and incredibly cooler running temps, and yet to see the effects on fuel consumption. i too liked the looks of the Zero Gravity Sport-Tour screen but found it to be quite loud, so I went the route of the MRA windscreen as well. unfortunately, i just received it in the mail so can't comment to its performance. as for now, the stock exhaust kit works well, but would like to replace the header pipe (remove cat) sometime down the road.

the multistrada is a great motorcycle and i'd consider the next iteration if it does everything the current one does, but better.

regards

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Its pretty simple...most of us who've bought a multi did so because we rode a multi. Its not a bike that will sell many of itself on a showroom floor...let it show you what it can do!
That sums it up nicely. I rode every other brand since I wasn't a fan of the looks. One long demo ride in the mountains and I was sold, two weeks later I owned one. The look of it has even grown on me, but I also started wearing glasses this year. :D

I sold mine to get a Hypermotard since I'm only doing short rides. IMHO the Multi is the best all around Ducati made.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I loved my first Ducati, a Monster, but it was too cramped for my longish legs. The MTS 620 was a way to get that same powerplant in a usable chassis. I haven't regretted making the switch!

·
Registered
849 Posts
It's funny how most of us have the same story: had a previous duc, needed an all-rounder, took a ride on a MS, fell in love, bought one, and now ride it more than the other bike(s).

I love riding my PS. Hell, I love looking at it when I'm not riding it. However, for taking trips to work, quick stops to the store, or want to stretch my legs for a 2+ hour ride, the MTS is a great choice. I have the comfort seat, a touring screen (I don't like the looks of the larger screen, but it sure helps on the freeway), and the paniers--all of which serve me well on longer rides. However, if I want to have fun for a short ride, I can pop the bags and the large screen off within minutes, and it transforms into a fun local bike as well. All of that, and I don't have to visit a chiropractor after the ride!!!

You will understand as soon as you ride one. Like others have said, it is the best all around bike that I have ridden up to date that has a perfect balance between a rider's practical and emotional needs.

Cheers,
JS

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Had a Harley and my friend who had an ST3 convinced me to buy a Duc. So I bought a Hypermotard fully expecting to keep the Harley but after riding the Hyper for a while I never rode the Harley anymore. But longer trips weere not what the Hyper was built for so after some research I bought the Multi and sold the Harley. Love them both. Hyper has 8k km and the Multi has 18k km.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well since 06

I have bought a Roadstar, 07 FZ1, 08 kaw KLR, 07 SM610, 07 GT classic, And Now a new 08 Multistrada thursday. Been going through bikes my whole life have had a ton before 06. I think with a few changes like grips, seat, maybe shield, The multi will be the best one and a keeper. It handles the best by a long shot in my book. The only thing that will make me get rid of it is if the new bike starts to brake down all the time like the GT. Last month on vacation coming down Pikes Peak the trans went out:eek::..........Right up until that point I was starting to trust the bike again:confused:. I guess it did not like me:(. But that is OK cause now I am on a new multi :D and if the GT had not conked out..............hell maybe it did like me:) just wanted me on a smoother ride.....................dam guess I should have kept the old boy. :D:D:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Harley was aggravating a hip problem (dead in the saddle). So, I went looking for a Beull or a Tiger. The local Triumph/Ducati dealer had an '04 MTS on consignment. I had pretty well made my mind up to buy the Tiger...on paper, it seemed to be the one. I had ridden all but the MTS. As a matter of fact, I never heard of it, but upon close inspection, it had good geometry for my needs. Then, I rode it...then I bought it. Now, I play with it often!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Easy. I wanted a sport touring type machine. I started with a new 696 Monster. It lasted two months. I just test rode an 05 1000S and immediately traded. I am new to Ducati. I like the little Monster, but it is not my style. I did not see any Multis on the showroom floor when I first shopped for a Ducati. But then someone traded their 05 Multi.

I used to have a BMW 100RT and this Ducati reminds me alot of the Beemer. But the Ducati is a Ducati..what can I say. I love it so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Handling is what sold me! My list of bikes is way too long to list, but I've never owned a bike that drops into the corners like the Multi (including my MV F4 1000R).I'm just coming off a KTM 990 Adventure and was hunting for a bike that's a bit more suited to the tarmac, as I tend to only go off the beaten path on my single these days. I test rode a Tiger, BMW K1200S, then the 09 Multistrada 1100S that I now own!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts