Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching around so search around i found 12 model pikes peak with electronic ohlins. Why did the only do it for 2 years? Just curios before i make serious offer. It the right price with luggage for me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
After searching around so search around i found 12 model pikes peak with electronic ohlins. Why did the only do it for 2 years? Just curios before i make serious offer. It the right price with luggage for me.
They "upgraded" to the Skyhook semi active stuff later.

My guess was cost to be honest.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
665 Posts
Go for the 2012 with electronics öhlins, they are the best. Really, very stable in corners and the motor is after a small remap very responsive

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would suspect it was the cost of Ohlins vs the other manufacturers. However, I also heard that Ducati wanted progressive springs and Ohlins did not agree so they changed--not that I believe that.

We are lucky enough to have an '11 Ohlins equipped bike and a '14 skyhook bike in the garage. I do like the quality of the ohlins however, the '14 is pretty much magic in comparison on rough roads. Most of my past bikes have been Ohlins equipped and really have never had a problem with them. I know there is an SCU available for my '11 which is suppose to bring the '11 set up to almost semi-active to rival the skyhook and some day I will buy it and report back.

So, my belief is Ducati changed because of the finances. Plus there is the bling factor.... Ohlins just look so damn good! I also find that the Ohlins fork seals from the factory seem to last longer than most other manufacturers fork seals. I attribute this not to the actual seal, but the bushings which I imagine are machined at tighter tolerances. If you are burning through seals, and just changing the seals without addressing the bushings that the slider actually "slides and guides on" you will be changing those seals pretty often.

Cheers,

Reactions: Bobcat Sig

·
Registered
883 Posts
^^^This, Ohlins wouldn't fit a rising rate springs, (progressive springs) and the cost, Ohlins wouldn't budge on their cost. I also heard from my local Ohlins rep, that Ohlins had actually made forks shock and matching SCU for the next series of bikes (2013 onwards) but got caught out by not getting the contract, thats possibly why the SCU was sold from out lets other than Ducati franchises. The early Sachs Sky hook had its problems, but in the later years the Sachs got pretty dam good, but longevity with tell, weather Sachs lasts the test of time, My Ohlins has travelled over 70,000Ks, seals and oil done at 48,000Ks, the guys said the oil was gunky and passed its service by date, but the internals showed no wear, TTX is a quality product.

Reactions: Jewcati

·
Registered
592 Posts
Number 1 reason for every downgraded part is ALWAYS cost.

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^^This, Ohlins wouldn't fit a rising rate springs, (progressive springs) and the cost, Ohlins wouldn't budge on their cost. I also heard from my local Ohlins rep, that Ohlins had actually made forks shock and matching SCU for the next series of bikes (2013 onwards) but got caught out by not getting the contract, thats possibly why the SCU was sold from out lets other than Ducati franchises. The early Sachs Sky hook had its problems, but in the later years the Sachs got pretty dam good, but longevity with tell, weather Sachs lasts the test of time, My Ohlins has travelled over 70,000Ks, seals and oil done at 48,000Ks, the guys said the oil was gunky and passed its service by date, but the internals showed no wear, TTX is a quality product.
You know that fork oil is at most an annual change item. My local Ohlins slinger recommends every 10,000km (yeah, for ¥50,000) for the rebuild. He good, but he aint cheap....and he's smoking dope :grin2: He also said that my oil was gunked as well, which is interesting as that bike basically sat for a year before I bought it. Maybe 2,000km since its last desmo service and, and 7-8000 when I took it in to get that seal un-fubard

I try to do the forks annually, with a standard suspension you can feel when the oil starts going, the front end gets vague and floaty feeling. Just had mine done because I blew out the left leg fork seal. Not sure how much the semi-active suspension masks the effects of the oil getting boogered up.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My Ohlins rep, recommended every 24,000Ks, but if you ride in the rain (as i do) regularly, it needs changing earlier. Cost me $380nz for the service and seals. but it transformed the front end, the famous ducati front end feel returned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My Ohlins rep, recommended every 24,000Ks, but if you ride in the rain (as i do) regularly, it needs changing earlier. Cost me $380nz for the service and seals. but it transformed the front end, the famous ducati front end feel returned.

Right.

Like I said I usually do it annually. Historically its usually recommended every 15,000 miles (24,000km). That doesn't always work since the oil is hydroscopic much like brake fluid. So yeah, when it starts feeling floaty....or every spring whichever comes first.

Still not paying dude $500 USD every 10,000km, I'd be in there 3 times a year.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Right.

Like I said I usually do it annually. Historically its usually recommended every 15,000 miles (24,000km). That doesn't always work since the oil is hydroscopic much like brake fluid. So yeah, when it starts feeling floaty....or every spring whichever comes first.

Still not paying dude $500 USD every 10,000km, I'd be in there 3 times a year.
A mate of mine did 76,000Ks on his Street Fighter over 4 years, he never ever did the seals or the oil, no actual service was performed on his SF. he just sold the bike and started again, i think he's now done 40K on his Beemer 9T, still no fork service, i think he hates spending money in that direction. Im the opposite, I've spent a fortune on bikes suspension, My last V4 T, was the worst bike id ever owned for suspension, (Sachs-shit) i fitted racetec springs and valves, and a TTX shock to that bike, transformed it into an incredible handling motorcycle. Suspension is my main criteria on a bike, nothing beats a great handling bike. Ducati got it right with the early TTX Multi's, if only they had come out with the 1Kn spring. still it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ducati got it right with the early TTX Multi's, if only they had come out with the 1Kn spring. still it was an easy fix.
What was your solution?

·
Registered
883 Posts
What was your solution?
The first Ohlins Multis had a .85Kn rear spring kdehkordi, it was marginal at best for a 75kg rider, but 2up it was hopeless, it would bottom out, and scrape on a modest bend. then Ohlins brought out a 1kn spring as an up grade especially for the Ohlins Multistrada. And thats what i fitted, and it transformed the rear of the bike, no more squatting exiting corners, the bike is still soft in its action, but it feels far more stable in fast corners. Its how the bike should have left the factory, along with the 42 tooth rear sprocket.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Back in 2010 I had a thought that Ducati went to a heck of a lot of trouble to create a bike where you could adjust suspension by pushing a button instead of using hand tools. Just didn't sit right with me because it seemed like the hard part of an active suspension was built, but no active suspension. Then Ducati dropped Ohlins on the Multi. Then Ohlins released the wonderful SCU.
Here's my theory: Ohlins was contracted by Ducati to have the SCU ready for the very first generation Multi 1200 in 2010, but Ohlins was behind schedule dialing in the software and the bike got released without it. That problem with Ohlins led Ducati to invest in Skyhook as a replacement. To me this makes more sense than what is mentioned in this thread, first Ducati was willing to pay more for Ohlins, then later decided they needed a cheaper product.

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
I was probabaly one of the first to take delivery of the Öhlins SCU, got it an hour after the pallet arrived at Öhlins, and I´ve ridden it in 1:1 semiactive mode since then. Its magic. The thing is that when I got the SCU I also had Öhlins as a customer at the Company I worked at and got to chat with the guys that actually programmed it.
The SCU contains the exact same algorithims and programming as the SCU that Öhlins ran with in WSBK Before it got banned for being too good. The only diffrence is that the WSBK boys also has GPS input so the bike could see where on the track it was.
But compression/rebound and HP/tractioncontrol as exactly the same in the SCU on offer to the public as it was on the WSBK bikes, regardless of make, if they ran Öhlins.

The unit actually has only has 3 modes. its handled by powermode only in semiactive, so its sort of like having "Sport, Road and Offroad" settings is how they explained it to me. 150High is optimized for really hard riding, racetrack hard in fact. 150Low is optimized for the road. A compromise between handling and comfort. 100 isnt actually optimized for urban at all. Its optimized as offroad where the guys at Öhlins programming it went and talked to the guys in the offroad department that hand the big offroad racers like Paris/dakar bikes and so on. That knowledge then Went into the scu for all us gravelroadriders (like .5% of all MTS owners). The funny thing is that offroad settings are soft and comfortable, so it kinda works well as a "rain" mode, which is what the alternate name for the mode was going to be.

My MTS has gotten the full treatment.
Öhlins Mechatronics SCU
1 kn rear spring (loads better when your 100kg in gear)
Mapped Engine by tomtom (the 10-12 single spark needs it)
Front forks redone by a very good Öhlins Tech that works the ofroad racingcircuit for Öhlins day to day.

I tried the skyhook and its good, but it doesnt hold a candle to the öhlins when activly riding.
I mean.. they didnt leave Öhlins for the superbikes did they?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was probabaly one of the first to take delivery of the Öhlins SCU, got it an hour after the pallet arrived at Öhlins, and I´ve ridden it in 1:1 semiactive mode since then. Its magic. The thing is that when I got the SCU I also had Öhlins as a customer at the Company I worked at and got to chat with the guys that actually programmed it.
The SCU contains the exact same algorithims and programming as the SCU that Öhlins ran with in WSBK Before it got banned for being too good. The only diffrence is that the WSBK boys also has GPS input so the bike could see where on the track it was.
But compression/rebound and HP/tractioncontrol as exactly the same in the SCU on offer to the public as it was on the WSBK bikes, regardless of make, if they ran Öhlins.

The unit actually has only has 3 modes. its handled by powermode only in semiactive, so its sort of like having "Sport, Road and Offroad" settings is how they explained it to me. 150High is optimized for really hard riding, racetrack hard in fact. 150Low is optimized for the road. A compromise between handling and comfort. 100 isnt actually optimized for urban at all. Its optimized as offroad where the guys at Öhlins programming it went and talked to the guys in the offroad department that hand the big offroad racers like Paris/dakar bikes and so on. That knowledge then Went into the scu for all us gravelroadriders (like .5% of all MTS owners). The funny thing is that offroad settings are soft and comfortable, so it kinda works well as a "rain" mode, which is what the alternate name for the mode was going to be.
Weren't they supposed to release the one for 13-14 models separately as well? I always wondered why the 10-12 Ohlins active suspension would not work on the 13-14 -- ECU?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The first Ohlins Multis had a .85Kn rear spring kdehkordi, it was marginal at best for a 75kg rider, but 2up it was hopeless, it would bottom out, and scrape on a modest bend. then Ohlins brought out a 1kn spring as an up grade especially for the Ohlins Multistrada. And thats what i fitted, and it transformed the rear of the bike, no more squatting exiting corners, the bike is still soft in its action, but it feels far more stable in fast corners. Its how the bike should have left the factory, along with the 42 tooth rear sprocket.
Exactly my experience.

Finally got to do a couple hundred km with the woman on the back. Its so much better.

I bought the bike as a plug and play (I know the previous owner) and found a good number of Ducati-isms.

Thus far just to the suspension I have had the front end rebuilt, new seals heavier oil (Ohlins slinger convinced me not to go heavier on the front), 1Kn spring in the rear and all is how it should be.

....I am wondering if the PO didn't have a bigger rear sprocket put on, I have no issues with 6th gear its good down to about 110km, that is only ~65 so not what I would consider particularly tall.....and this is Japan where I spend the majority of my time on 30-40km/h roads.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ohlins must be one of the most overrated brands in the world. Making their stuff gold was the best marketing move they ever made.

They're decent shocks, but one twist of the adjusters and you can tell it's manufacturing quality is mediocre.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ohlins must be one of the most overrated brands in the world. Making their stuff gold was the best marketing move they ever made.

They're decent shocks, but one twist of the adjusters and you can tell it's manufacturing quality is mediocre.
Ohlins build to a price, theres Ohlins and theres Ohlins. TTX is there good quality stuff for road bikes i guess. then theres the standard range that comes factory fitted to some models. but its probably mostly only a few $ away from upgrading to a reasonable standard. (Checkout Moto GP bikes, Super Bikes, Super sport bikes Moto2 and Moto3) 90% Ohlins, Why? investment-quality.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts