Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a few "poor Biaggi" threads but I'm not sure I ever saw any real discussion as to why hes failed to get a ride. Despite being the one the new MotoGP honda was designed around (save Gib's imput), and World Superbikes fairly large crop of former MotoGP riders being welcomed opened armed.

Only thing I think I recall seeing was that Biaggi was demanding a package (Bike/tire combo) that no one could provide, and that both tire providers for MotoGP didnt want him on the bikes they shod. But that doesnt explain whats going on in World Superbike, and they let far worse ride their bikes, at least Biaggi keeps his intact and near the front as opposed to other people.

So whats going on here? His personality that bad? His reputation tarnished? He some kind of brutish criminal mastermind that no one wants to sponcer? I'm at a loss really...

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
I agree....

His attitude has sunk him.

That and the politics (Screw you Honda!) have successfully kept him off the track.

I would have liked to see him get on a Kawasaki, with Nakano.
Then he would truly be "Green" with envy!

LOL!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Biaggi is persona non grata at Honda after (reputedely) openly criticising Honda in the Italian press. After that, Honda was reported to have blacklisted from riding any Honda in MotoGP (I can assume that goes for SBK and maybe American Honda).
Biaggi had something like $10million worth of Camel's money, but couldn't put a ride together. My take on him is that he is a very demanding rider who wants to be the top dog. He feels he deserves better equipment than his rivals and teammates. Based on his rides this season (after shitty qualifying) he always managed to turn those bad times into respectable results. Was there a conspiracy at Honda to make Biaggi look bad? Who knows, I'm not into conspiracy theories anyway. The reality is that Max is still one of the best riders in MotoGP. This season was his first season where he didn't finish second or third since entering the premier class.
I think one of the biggest factors for Biaggi was that he learned he was getting the boot pretty late. A lot of seats were filled already when he became available. Then from the available seats, you subtract the ones that just don't want to deal with him and it makes rides very scarce. I think SBK was the same situation. I am sure he wouldn't have gone to just any team just to race. Money isn't as much of an issue as is the ability to field a competative bike (in a way they are coupled). I think Max will sit this season out. Maybe he can get another ride in GP's (with BMW?), but I doubt it. My guess is that he will pop up on the supermoto scene, and possible the four wheel scene. It's too bad though, I liked having Max in GP.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Biaggi has always had sorta of a "wannabe" stamp on him ever since Valentino came up from behind on the 500cc GP bikes and during 2003 he was a real crybaby, blaming all downers and losses on the bike.

I can understand that no GP team wants him when you have other coming riders that are going faster and are humbler. Sure, He IS fast, but that isn´t all that counts.

EDIT: This is my humble opinion only ofcourse.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
rcrob said:
Money isn't as much of an issue as is the ability to field a competative bike (in a way they are coupled).

Maybe he can get another ride in GP's (with BMW?), but I doubt it.

My guess is that he will pop up on the supermoto scene, and possible the four wheel scene. It's too bad though, I liked having Max in GP.
on 1st portion...proven true by Barros in round 2 of WSBK!...

I seriously doubt it too...BMW strikes me as the kind of outfit to not put up with the type of antics that Biaggi put Honda through...I'd bet they'de cut him too short to sh*t as it were before it got out of control!

I would and could see him doing Supermoto as he has before...probably in the S1 class (maybe on the Aprilia SXV?) and/or maybe if KTM and BMW can get their acts together on the MegaMoto series allowing 1,2,or 3 cylinder bikes from 600cc's on up as I saw reported before 6 months or so ago...his name recognition could lend to some favorable press for the launch of the series....I don't see him making a name or a draw for himself in 4 wheels like on 2...so I'd suspect that would be a fleeting endevour....but his brashness of charachter is what made the paddocks interesting for sure....but I am not sure yet if I'll miss him in GP....there is alot of talent in the field right now...if they can all get comfortable on their machines and get things sorted out quickly...the 2nd half of the season could prove to be just as exciting if not moreso than years past with Max.

·
comrade moderator
26,771 Posts
Where? The season has already begun. Nope, that's not an option.
Max is an asshole of the highest order and screwed himself right outta the sport! Never seen this before, but apparently it is possible to do!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think rcrob got it right there... that on top of Max having an attitude problem, there was just not enough room to make a last minute placing for him in either GP or SBK, most all teams were already spoken for.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It's amazing how Max could have probably the best bike last year and still blame it for his problems. Meanwhile Nicky Hayden, in my opinion not as good a rider, had a great season. Not sure what was the problem.

It's actually amazing that Max did so well in the sport. He didn't start riding until he was 18 and went to 250cc first. Whereas alot of other riders like Rossi, Capirossi, etc started out very young and at least rode in 125cc.

Still Max comes off as a complainer too much.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
I like Max. I wish he was racing this season. A little color in the mix never hurt anybody.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I've always been a Max fan, and will miss him in MotoGP, but all things must come to an end some time. Max complained about the wrong company (Honda, his employer) and his bad, hard to work with reputation finally caught up with him. His done a lot more in MotoGP, 500cc, racing in general that to name a few Barros and Checa...not that there is anything wrong with Barros the guy's proving he's not in SBK just for a paycheck.

P

·
0 Posts
... At the start of '06 only a few months after having everything, Max Biaggi has nothing. In '05 Biaggi finally got all that he'd always wanted: a factory Repsol Honda, frontline Michelin tires and the full attention of tuning whiz, Erv Kanemoto. It added up to disaster. Such was his inconsistency that he ultimately cost both himself and Kanemoto their jobs. A post-race tirade against Honda after the Turkish Grand Prix guaranteed the 34-year old a prominent spot on Honda's blacklist. No amount of sponsorship enticement from Camel could convince Honda to supply him with a motorcycle. With Honda turning its back on millions of dollars, this effectively cost Pons his team's main sponsor, as Camel promply took its check book to Suzuki...
Biaggi's penchant for blaming others has made the Italian so radioactive that there were conflicting reports about Bridgestone turning away (influencing Suzuki and Kawaski to say no thanks). PG. 98 Paragraph 2.

SportRider Magazine, April 2006.

Geeish, how would people respond if I went to work tomorrow and blamed everyone for my mistakes. Umm get fired maybe? Don't blame Honda, tires, tech, your team, sponsors. A true campion will find a reason to blame himself and carry the burden for his team mates. I hope he learned his lesson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts