Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'01 SS750. The tank has a slight leak at the back, by the pivot hinge. I'm going to bring it to a repair shop today at lunch to see if they can seal & fix it. However, when I pulled the plastic sensor out of the tank, there are wires connected to it that go inside the tank, and I can't figure out where they go!

What are these wires and how do I get them out? I'm pretty sure the repair shop is going to seal the inside of the tank, and I don't know if that's possible with the wires being in there.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
'01 SS750. The tank has a slight leak at the back, by the pivot hinge. I'm going to bring it to a repair shop today at lunch to see if they can seal & fix it. However, when I pulled the plastic sensor out of the tank, there are wires connected to it that go inside the tank, and I can't figure out where they go!

What are these wires and how do I get them out? I'm pretty sure the repair shop is going to seal the inside of the tank, and I don't know if that's possible with the wires being in there.
Your best bet is to go ahead and remove everything from inside the tank. You have electrical equipment inside of the tank. The electrical wires go the fuel pump.

Everything is going to have to be removed from inside of the tank before they can do anything to the tank.

The leak from the hinge is likely due to the welds from the hinge point letting go. This is due to the way the tank is attached to the bike. Just a single hinge point at the back and just a single point at the front. It allows the tank to move from side to side and allows the hinge & the hinge brace to have unnecessary stress put on it.

We're about to just pull the tank on my 900SS, leave it open for a week and let all of the vapors clear completely out of the tank, then weld around the plate to reseal it. (can't weld with any vapors in the tank...that's not so cool).

Let us know how your fix goes. Be sure and post it up in the sticky at the top of this sub forum so that others can know what you did to fix and how it went.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, I completely missed the sticky! I guess it's my years of forum reading, my eyes just skip over the sticky sections (along with the ads) - I'll read through that thread, and yes I'll post more details as I get them!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ugh, I completely missed the sticky! I guess it's my years of forum reading, my eyes just skip over the sticky sections (along with the ads) - I'll read through that thread, and yes I'll post more details as I get them!
I was the sole administrator of a forum of over 100,000 members and over 1 million posts for close to 2 years. It's very easy to get to the point where you just skip right over them. I know I do it sometimes as well.

No worries! Hopefully the sticky helps out.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
We're about to just pull the tank on my 900SS, leave it open for a week and let all of the vapors clear completely out of the tank, then weld around the plate to reseal it. (can't weld with any vapors in the tank...that's not so cool)
Don't bother waiting a week.

Just fill it with water with a garden hose, or in the bathtub. That will get rid of any fuel vapor in seconds.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts