Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't make sense to me; the monsters do just fine on resale, so why are the Hypers afflicted with soft resale?

I'm contemplating a very gently used '08 "S" for less than $10K and I'm worried that it'll be worth half that in a year.

Sleepless in Weatherford...

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
It is all about the riders. The typical Hypermotard rider is very experienced and pushes the bike way more than the typical Monster rider (sometimes his/her first bike). Consequently, potential buyers of used (or shall I say pre-owned) Hypermotard are concerned the bike (engine) has been abused.

We faced the same issue in the supermoto world (worse with crashes). However I would say that you can count on the reliability of the good old two valves air cooled engine of the Hypermotard much better than a typical supermoto engine (how about buying a used Aprilla SXV, right...)

The other aspect is pricing, the Hypermotard is more expensive than the Monster to start with pushing many potential buyers out of reach.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me; the monsters do just fine on resale, so why are the Hypers afflicted with soft resale?

I'm contemplating a very gently used '08 "S" for less than $10K and I'm worried that it'll be worth half that in a year.
The first owner takes the biggest hit. Buying new is almost always like that.
If you buy a used "S" for under $10k, it should depreciate at a normal rate
afterwards. Buying new does have it's priveleges-- full warranty, full knowledge
of the treatment of the bike, and in my case at least, 1.99% financing.

BTW, almost everything is "soft on resale" this year. Man, the deals are out
there, especially on any kind of luxury item, like sportbikes and boats.

But if you don't keep a new bike for a few years and really get some good
use out of it, the money loss is significant. For cars I definitely think buying
a well-babied 3-year-old vehicle makes a ton of sense... but you are really
shopping owners at that point. With any vehicle that is sporty and can be
called a toy, there are always a lot of guys who are extremely meticulous
about their ride, almost to the point of being afraid to use it! Hence, the
5 year old Porsches with 7k miles, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Recession?

I will say I have noticed used car prices going higher than this last winter. I think that is due to the Obama clunker money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
everything is soft right now. i just picked up a brand new 08 1098r for a price that would make you sick and they even gave me a ridiculous price on my trade. that was less than two weeks ago. this economy is great for buying toys.

the great deals you can get from the dealership is significantly pushing down the used market big time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bit different in the UK, because of the pound Euro exchange rates a lot of mainland European buyers have come over and brought a lot of the dealer used and some new stock up, so if you have a quality used bike dealers are being fair, as used stock is going quicker than new, one dealer told me, new Ducati sales are dead, that might account for the deals currently offer, free termis, free panniers, low rate finance on various models, the problem is Ducati have really over priced their new bikes in the UK making good used ones better value.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Interesting thread and my first post. I am curious as well with used Hyper sales. There is a non-S 2008 Hyper for sale in my neck of the woods. It has less than 500 miles on it and the guy is asking $8800. Comes with the DP seat. It hasn't sold. It appears he is sticking to his price.

Is it a good price?

Any feedback is appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...817&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123

·
Registered
102 Posts
That seems like a killer deal in my opinion. I picked up a non S (all stock) with 190 miles about 1 yr ago for $9,400. I couldn't be happier with it! Low miles is key!

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Used prices are about the same from last year, spring '07 was the first of the "08s" Doesn't seem to be a two year drop in price tier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me; the monsters do just fine on resale...
you don't want me to tell you what your S4 is worth :confused:

i like new toys and was considering one this summer, but the huge hit i would take on my monster made me decide to re-ignite my love :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
this doesn't happen to me too often, but i don't care if this bike is only worth $1 next year. i'm not selling it now or ever. i will ride this one until the wheels fall off. screw resale :yeah:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I came to the conclusion that a lot of buyers saw a "kinder gentler" kinda ducati in the upright hypermotard, but got a big shock when they actually rode the thing; discovering a purpose built narrowly focused performance machine - ie. what they though they were getting was a beter looking Multistrada, what they got was an angry beast with an insatiable hunger for aggressive riding.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Let's see:

1. Narrow-purpose motorcycle
2. Limited sources of financing used motorcycles today
3. Incentives on new Ducati's (discounts, financing)
4. Lost of used Hypers on the market
5. Recession (or depression if you've already lost your job)

All of the used motorcycles are in the tank right now, not just Hypers...Now's a good time to buy another one and cost average, like stocks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I came to the conclusion that a lot of buyers saw a "kinder gentler" kinda ducati in the upright hypermotard, but got a big shock when they actually rode the thing; discovering a purpose built narrowly focused performance machine - ie. what they though they were getting was a beter looking Multistrada, what they got was an angry beast with an insatiable hunger for aggressive riding.
So true:cool:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Bump to an old thread... looking into selling my Hyper S has me wondering if it is worth it. I really like the new MultiStrada (in reviews), but looking at the classifieds here and several other places I see low asking prices and no sales. All the hyper sellers out there now haven't sold at all in recent search history, even with bargain prices. :confused:

Anyone trade theirs in or plan to and got a value yet? I assume if you trade in it is best to convert back to stock and sell all add-ons separate, correct?

Same question with selling used bikes, in general converting back to stock and selling parts (exhaust, ECU, etc.) separate is better, or is it easier to sell it as is? I mean considering the time to do so as well.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
thats the way it goes for any sport bike as soon as you take it home from dealer you lose a couple grand!i saw a 1198 s on craigslist with 800 miles on it a it sold for 15.200 that bike goes for 24000 grand otd so dont feel bad hyper owners.i picked up my 1098s 2008 for 11500 loaded with extras with only 1100 miles on it...its a damn shame.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bump to an old thread... looking into selling my Hyper S has me wondering if it is worth it. I really like the new MultiStrada (in reviews), but looking at the classifieds here and several other places I see low asking prices and no sales. All the hyper sellers out there now haven't sold at all in recent search history, even with bargain prices. :confused:

Anyone trade theirs in or plan to and got a value yet? I assume if you trade in it is best to convert back to stock and sell all add-ons separate, correct?

Same question with selling used bikes, in general converting back to stock and selling parts (exhaust, ECU, etc.) separate is better, or is it easier to sell it as is? I mean considering the time to do so as well.
If you take the parts off let me know what you have. I will prob be interested.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you take the parts off let me know what you have. I will prob be interested.
Sil-Moto Carbon 2-1 exhaust + Carbon side panels (for 2-1)
Arrow stepped headers
DP Racing ECU (208B) with Cams (uninstalled)

That stuff will be coming off for sure...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts