Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least here in the DC area.

I search Craigslist daily because I'm thinking about getting a Multistrada. Seems like there's a new listing for an 848 or a 1098 every day. Low miles, pretty much stock. It gives me the sense that people are buying these bikes and realizing it's not for them. Or maybe it's economical. Not sure.

What say you Ducati.ms?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Probably the economy. The first thing to go when people need money are "luxury" items like Ducatis. Face it, they aren't exactly good commuter bikes lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True.

I'm just wondering why there aren't as many Mulit's or other models up for sale.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know how this compares to last year, but there are some good buys out there. Just yesterday was offered brand new 1098 base for $14.5 OTD at a dealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
could be because so many more of these models were sold. I think about selling my 848 at least twice a week, even after 10k miles. I don't think I would ever get another bike if I sold it. Most of the people I rode with have totaled their bikes in the last 6 months.

Be careful.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Because they all realize the 999 series is a superior machine and are scrambling to buy one. :D

J/K...lol Economy. Haven't seen any used ones offered around here though except a pair of 848s. One is a great deal the other not so much.

·
Registered
263 Posts
could be because so many more of these models were sold. I think about selling my 848 at least twice a week, even after 10k miles. I don't think I would ever get another bike if I sold it. Most of the people I rode with have totaled their bikes in the last 6 months.

Be careful.

Brian
Sounds like you should find a new group of people to ride with. New faces and less drama often reinvigorates the desire to ride.

I used to ride with a mixed skill group of sport bike riders until 3 out of 4 weekends we had serious crashes due to ego exceeding skill levels... I never rode with them again and eventually moved away in search of greener pastures.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I know a lot of people that bought a 1098/848 just because of the looks. Once they realize how often and how much the maintenance is on them they try to dump them as fast as they can.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Wet one

I would not buy an 848 because I'd have to carry around a tambourine to remind me that I was riding a ducati. Maybe that's why there are so many for sale! Nah, I believe that it has to do more with the demographics associated with those two models versus those associated with multi riders.:abduct:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd say economy. I live in L.A. and have seen many 1098's for sale on c-list, along with many other brands. BTW I have an 07 multi s model and let me tell you, I aint sellin it!! It does it all!! Great bike IMO. Good luck with your purchase, and go for an 07 or later if you can find one.;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say economy. I live in L.A. and have seen many 1098's for sale on c-list, along with many other brands. BTW I have an 07 multi s model and let me tell you, I aint sellin it!! It does it all!! Great bike IMO. Good luck with your purchase, and go for an 07 or later if you can find one.;)

Haha... yeah they are hard to come by. especially the S version. I may buy a new one.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i've noticed the markets always flooded with current model superbikes after a year or so.thats also why the older bikes took such a hit with the lower priced new models.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't see all that many multi-purpose bikes for sale either and I think it's because they accommodate various riding styles and uses while a 848 or 1098are mostly suited for twisties or track days and they don't produce the most comfortable ride...and yes don't forget the economy especially when a family man has to justify a bike that his wife can't or won't ride on because of the lack of comfort :)

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Street Triple
90 Posts
At least here in the DC area.

I search Craigslist daily because I'm thinking about getting a Multistrada. Seems like there's a new listing for an 848 or a 1098 every day. Low miles, pretty much stock. It gives me the sense that people are buying these bikes and realizing it's not for them. Or maybe it's economical. Not sure.

What say you Ducati.ms?
Recession.

My guess is that the buying group of the 1098 are more susceptible to the recession than the buying group of the Multistrada.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Probably a combination of things. Ducati sales surged with the release of the 1098/848. Lower pricing and easy credit mean a bunch of folks got a Ducati who couldn't afford it and weren't necessarily the traditional Ducati customer.

Hence unloading them more readily

1 - 20 of 42 Posts