Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at taking my monster back from the wife and doing a complete suspension overhaul to fit my weight and riding style.

I've been able to find a guy here in Ontario that apparently is "The Guy" to go to. Suggests new rear shock and new valves and springs in front.
Cost me $1500-2000 depending on what I actually choose for the rear shock and whether I want to make the front end adjustable.

He states it will change my world. The bike is obviously undersprung right now(I'm 215lbs) and it actually scares the crap out of me when I ride it. SO soft and, well, scary compared to my SF.
I unfortunately have come to the conclusion that 2 bikes right now isn't the best idea and one has to go and the wife refuses to ride the SF which I'm fine with. And I'm thinking that if I can get the monster set up right for me (maybe a sergeant seat too) it might make selling the SF a little easier.

So, has anybody done a whole suspension tune on a Monster?
World O difference? Worth the money?

I would also obviously change out the Angels for some Better rubber.

Cheers

2011 Monster696 Gave it to the wife
2010 SF1098

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
96 Posts
Though not a 696 exactly, I did upgrade the forks on my M796 with those off an 1100. The 1100 forks are fully adjustable and made a HUGE difference in the ride. The stock 796 comes with the same crappy ass forks as the 696, basically pogo sticks for anyone over 160lbs (I'm 180).

The stock Showa rear shocks on the 696/796/1100 are decent, and IMO unless you really want to spend the money, or are doing serious track duty with the bike, isn't worth the upgrade. The forks are where Ducati really cheaped out.

I recently did a track day (I'm a track newbie) with the upgraded forks and stock shocks, and the bike handled very well. Obviously not as good as with the Ohlins setup, but I'm very happy. I got the forks off ebay for a good deal. :)

·
Registered
969 Posts
This is a secret so don't tell anybody.
Race Tech is coming out with a kit for the 696.
Good stuff and way cheaper.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a secret so don't tell anybody.
Race Tech is coming out with a kit for the 696.
Good stuff and way cheaper.
Date?..
I promise I won't tell anyone.

I'm possitive the front needs to be done for sure. $700-$800
Was thinking I might get away with just a new spring in the back and just properly set sag etc for my weight.
Aggressive street with possible 2-5 track days next year.

2010 SF1098

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not worth it

Suspension changes do make a difference, but are generally expensive. Think how much it would cost you to just sell the Monster and get a 2009 1100S or a slightly used 2011 1100evo. The first has a much better suspension package. There are some other added benefits for the 1100 and your wife would still be able to ride it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A couple years down the road that might be an option but she is a new rider and she, unfortunately, has no interest in getting on anything bigger.
The things we do for Our marriages?

2010 SF1098

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have them ordered now. They're supposed to be here in a couple of weeks.
New valves for the front. New springs for front and back set for my weight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A couple years down the road that might be an option but she is a new rider and she, unfortunately, has no interest in getting on anything bigger.
The things we do for Our marriages?

2010 SF1098

Yeah, I know ;-) I bought my monster for my wife, but after two years and her having ridden it only 4 times I am looking for a change (maybe an 848 or SF848 or ST4S), but my wife is somewhat attached to the bike and doesn't want to sell it.
The VFR is my main steed .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Of course, setting the bike up for you as you say you need it will probably make it so that the bike is set up poorly for your wife, assuming she weighs far less than you, which she may or may not.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course, setting the bike up for you as you say you need it will probably make it so that the bike is set up poorly for your wife, assuming she weighs far less than you, which she may or may not.
Yeah, that's one of the issues I'm trying to figure out. She's 125lbs. So right now she loves the way the Monster handles.

2010 SF1098

1 - 10 of 10 Posts