Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks the stock dry clutch on my 07 MS4RS is due for replacement. Who sells the best kit?

I've heard Barnett is not that good - is this true? What other options do I have?

Any opinions are welcomed!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just installed the Generation 2 red anodized clutch basket and Barnett plates (from Desmotimes) in my 05 999 and after I got my stack height right I couldn't be happier with it. It's MUCH quieter also.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
+5 for Desmo Times. 5 so far for various bikes. I'm satisfied. Moto Wheels and Ducati Designs also sell various quality clutch packs too.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'm using barnett (seem to work well)after the tech at my local dealer reccomended them.their price point was also the most reasonable

·
Registered
475 Posts
+1000 on price.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I found the Barnett clutch with the red friction material and the extra "quieting disk" almost impossible to set up so that the clutch didn't drag. I would not buy another or recommend it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I found the Barnett clutch with the red friction material and the extra "quieting disk" almost impossible to set up so that the clutch didn't drag. I would not buy another or recommend it.
What was difficult about it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used Surflex and they work great. Got them from Ducati Designs but I don't think Paul sells clutch parts anymore. I think DT sells them but they are probably more than the Barnett plates.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Surflex does cost more than the Barnett. From what I've read, the main reason they cost more is because of the shipping costs from Italy and the Euro vs. Dollar. They may last a little longer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that both my mechanic and the local dealer like the OEM plates the best. At $219 for the OEM kit it doesn't seem that bad.

The barnett set up cost $150, a great price point in my opinion. I was told the Barnett clutch is louder then OEM? For those of you w/the barnett kit is this true?

If it is I actually think that's kind of cool :)

Any issues with getting in and out of gears with the Barnett set up?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have been using a Barnett red pack for the past 6000 miles. No issues what so ever.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The Barnett plates are not louder than the OEM plates and I've had no issues getting in/out of gear and no issues finding neutral. Save the $70.00 and get the Barnett. You won't be sorry.

Is the basket OK or is it beat up?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that both my mechanic and the local dealer like the OEM plates the best. At $219 for the OEM kit it doesn't seem that bad.

The barnett set up cost $150, a great price point in my opinion. I was told the Barnett clutch is louder then OEM? For those of you w/the barnett kit is this true?

If it is I actually think that's kind of cool :)

Any issues with getting in and out of gears with the Barnett set up?

Thanks again.
I am running a Barnett clutch pack (new style) and Paulimoto clutch basket. Amazingly enough I had to file some of the tangs down on the Barnett disks so they would fit in the Pauli basket, the tighter fit the better. OEM stuff is way too expensive...you can't go wrong w/ a Barnett pack and their basket.
I purchased my stuff through DesmoTimes. Quick shipper!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give the Barnett kit a try and save myself the $70. As far as installing new plates, is it as easy as removing the stock ones and refitting the new plates?

I took a look at the stock plates by removing the pressure plate and the retaining inverted sprocket plate, the first plate looked a bit worn but I'm not really sure what to look for (I'll post pics later today).

I've seen a special tool for the plates, what is that used for?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Barnett!

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give the Barnett kit a try and save myself the $70. As far as installing new plates, is it as easy as removing the stock ones and refitting the new plates?

I took a look at the stock plates by removing the pressure plate and the retaining inverted sprocket plate, the first plate looked a bit worn but I'm not really sure what to look for (I'll post pics later today).

You won't be sorry, I have a Barnett clutch pack in my Ducati Corsa slipper clutch, for my Hypermotard, for $160 you can't go wrong, :) it was a drop in for me, and was at least 40% quieter than my stock clutch. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
475 Posts

You won't be sorry. Just follow the directions that come with the plates. Make sure your stack height is correct (38mm) and you'll be good to go. The stack hight on the new one I got was 39mm so I switched the two thick steel plates with two thinner steel plates from my old pack and it brought it down to 38mm. Perfect.

Tip: Don't throw your old clutch plates away. You can use the steel plates to make the tool to hold the hub so you can take off the hub nut. You'll need it. Do a search for "clutch tool" or "clutch holding tool". There are several people on here that have made their own out of old clutch plates that work well.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You won't be sorry. Just follow the directions that come with the plates. Make sure your stack height is correct (38mm) and you'll be good to go. The stack hight on the new one I got was 39mm so I switched the two thick steel plates with two thinner steel plates from my old pack and it brought it down to 38mm. Perfect.

Tip: Don't throw your old clutch plates away. You can use the steel plates to make the tool to hold the hub so you can take off the hub nut. You'll need it. Do a search for "clutch tool" or "clutch holding tool". There are several people on here that have made their own out of old clutch plates that work well.
Thanks - I have seen the tool.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3184922373/#

Do I need to remove the hub nut if I am not replacing the clutch basket? Or is it best to remove it, and inspect everything instead of just getting new pates and putting those in?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was thinking you were replacing the basket. You don't need to remove it if you're just replacing the plates. Check the basket out for excessive wear though.

Also, and I'm not positive about this but it does make sense. I don't know what your basket is made of, but from what I understand, you shouldn't use aluminum plates with a steel basket because it will quickly wear down the tabs on the friction plates.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts