Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The bike was a one trick pony, now its on its way to becoming a two trick pony :)

Nicky said they changed everything but the grips on the handlebars (a comedic exagerration, but nonetheless reflective of the degree of change the bike underwent).
And Yet still no worth while results.... While Stoner continues to hang in there even while battling illness...
Bike??? I dont think so.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
And Yet still no worth while results.... While Stoner continues to hang in there even while battling illness...
Bike??? I dont think so.
In his defense, a great racer like Marco Melandri experienced the same problems with the Ducati last year and he is a former 250GP champion. He is a different racer this year, performing way better on a different bike. It can go the other way as well, the Yamahas in both WSBK and MotoGP really make the rider look even better than what they are. I'll bet if you put some of those guys back in the pack with previous championship performances, they would likely do much better. However, I think the Ducati is different because a certain style is needed to control the beast and I think Stoner has that style. I think Hayden is making progress and I predict he will do even better in the races to come.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Bike??? I dont think so.
problem isn't fixed. Ducati, one rider running up front three riders running near the back. Yamaha three riders near the front one rider in the back. Which is the better bike?

Time wise, he is much closer than he was in the previous races which is a step in the right direction. Nicky may not be as capable of winning races as say Stoner, Jorge or Rossi (but look who he is racing against) but he certainly is capable of running top five as he has consistently done in the past.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
problem isn't fixed. Ducati, one rider running up front three riders running near the back. Yamaha three riders near the front one rider in the back. Which is the better bike?

Time wise, he is much closer than he was in the previous races which is a step in the right direction. Nicky may not be as capable of winning races as say Stoner, Jorge or Rossi (but look who he is racing against) but he certainly is capable of running top five as he has consistently done in the past.
top 5... maybe on the 990 he could do it but with the new 800 it will never happen. I would be shocked if he could string together more than a couple of top 10's
there is now doubt that the Yamaha is the best bike in Moto GP right now... they also fill thier paddocks with the best riders. As I have said before Put Rossi or Lorenzo on any bike in the field and I think they would both be competitive.
the Ducati is capable of winning races.... A very very sick looking Casey Stoner brought it home for a 3rd today and is tied for 1st in points. Im sorry I just dont believe that can be done on and inconsistant POS at the moto GP level.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
top 5... maybe on the 990 he could do it but with the new 800 it will never happen. I would be shocked if he could string together more than a couple of top 10's
there is now doubt that the Yamaha is the best bike in Moto GP right now... they also fill thier paddocks with the best riders. As I have said before Put Rossi or Lorenzo on any bike in the field and I think they would both be competitive.
the Ducati is capable of winning races.... A very very sick looking Casey Stoner brought it home for a 3rd today and is tied for 1st in points. Im sorry I just dont believe that can be done on and inconsistant POS at the moto GP level.
Funny, Hayden had eight top five finished last year. They ran 800cc bikes last year right?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Its a good point. I wonder how much Nicky would love to be back in the old Honda pits struggling with personal things with Pedrosa and getting 5ths. I can't see him getting another factory ride after Ducati, so unless he improves with the Duke all he can hope for would be fighting for 7th 8th 9th on a satellite team and there're are too many hungry 250 class riders lining up those seats.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Its a good point. I wonder how much Nicky would love to be back in the old Honda pits struggling with personal things with Pedrosa and getting 5ths. I can't see him getting another factory ride after Ducati, so unless he improves with the Duke all he can hope for would be fighting for 7th 8th 9th on a satellite team and there're are too many hungry 250 class riders lining up those seats.
Well Melandri didn't have any problems finding a factory ride after his Ducati "backmarker" stint, although the factory soon went belly up. I think Nicky Hayden is very marketable and that certainly is valuable when looking for a ride (hell Gabor Talmasci basically skipped the 250 class because he is the big thing in Hungary and brings big money with him). Hayden has the ex-world champion trump card which goes a long way towards securing a ride. Look at Pedrossa, the HRC favored sun, who has yet to secure the world title in fewer seasons than Hayden.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The record of the bike says otherwise. No one else has been able to ride it even close to the level of Stoner. For most people, once they figure out the trick to doing a task (playing a video game, riding a motorcycle, cooking a certain meal) being sick doesn't make them forget everything they have learned. In the press conference he clearly stated that he physically was not able to get the bike to do what he wanted because he felt ill. That doesn't mean that his style of throttle modulation to deal with the rear chatter would be that greatly affected, but it does mean that he couldn't muscle the bike around to get it to turn in and hold the lines that he needed to maintain the pace.

I mean seriously give credit where it's deserved. Stop cutting everyone whose last name isn't Rossi off at the knees, that is if you can get his balls off your chin long enough to see the keyboard. Sheesh.

they also fill thier paddocks with the best riders. As I have said before Put Rossi or Lorenzo on any bike in the field and I think they would both be competitive.
I almost want to skip ever single road racing thread once I come to your comments. You speculate out of your ass at every turn about how this rider CAN do this and that rider CAN'T do that. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I would love to see all of your bullshit put to the test. Put Rossi, Lorenzo, and Pedrosa on the Ducati. Let them prove that your words are the end all of what bike is great and what riders are aren't worth their salt.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The record of the bike says otherwise. No one else has been able to ride it even close to the level of Stoner. For most people, once they figure out the trick to doing a task (playing a video game, riding a motorcycle, cooking a certain meal) being sick doesn't make them forget everything they have learned. In the press conference he clearly stated that he physically was not able to get the bike to do what he wanted because he felt ill. That doesn't mean that his style of throttle modulation to deal with the rear chatter would be that greatly affected, but it does mean that he couldn't muscle the bike around to get it to turn in and hold the lines that he needed to maintain the pace.
OMG This has got to be the most ingnorant comment ever. Do you seriously think that riding a motorcycle at race pace for 25 laps doesnt require a person to be in top physical condition?? Its nothing like a video game unless you play video games while sprinting a marathon. Maybe you need to go do a trackday and see how you feel after a 20-30 minute session. The multiply that by 10 and add in the flu.. thats what Stoner did today. I gained alot of respect for that guy today.
I almost want to skip ever single road racing thread once I come to your comments. You speculate out of your ass at every turn about how this rider CAN do this and that rider CAN'T do that. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I would love to see all of your bullshit put to the test. Put Rossi, Lorenzo, and Pedrosa on the Ducati. Let them prove that your words are the end all of what bike is great and what riders are aren't worth their salt.
Sorry to get you all worked up but arent we all just speculating here?? I would like to see all this BS (mine as well as those of you that disagee) put to the test as well. It would be awesome to see the moto GP paddock all jump on a spec bike and race for bragging rights.... Then why dont we line up a race between Foggy, Colin Edwards and Bayliss on WSBK machines. To bad this is the real world and the real facts are that the Ducati is CONSISTANTLY WINNING RACES, and for some reason you guys still think there is something wrong with the bike because Hayden cant ride it... Just like he couldnt ride the Honda last year.
Its a fact that in all pro sports that some guys are the cream of the crop. Its the same way in the moto GP paddock. Some of those guys are just riding on a differrent level above the rest...

·
9,757 Posts
I mean seriously give credit where it's deserved. Stop cutting everyone whose last name isn't Rossi off at the knees, that is if you can get his balls off your chin long enough to see the keyboard. Sheesh.
Don't forget about Spies. He's got a huge broner for Spies too.

Seriously don't mind ole kingsnake, he just likes to troll the roadracing forums and play devil's advocate.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Even with the struggles he's happier where he is.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
SBK For Nicky??

My feelings are that Nicky would do better and be happier in WSBK, any one agree??:think:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
My feelings are that Nicky would do better and be happier in WSBK, any one agree??:think:
I totally agree with that.. I think the slipping sliding, point and shoot style favors Hayden more than whatever kinda style it takes to make the 800'c go fast.

Not trying to be a "troll" here I just dont see how anyone can say that the Ducati has all these serious issuse while Stoner is winning races and co-leading the championship??? Sounds to me like they need a couple of more good riders. As I have said before Kalio is in his rookie season.. give him some time too come to grips. Canepa Is also in his rookie season, Testing and Racing are NOT the same. Then you have Hayden who other than 06 has never been spectacular in Moto GP and has seriously strugged with the 800cc bike for both Honda and Ducati.
Just do see how with these facts you can conclude that the bike is trash.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I just dont see how anyone can say that the Ducati has all these serious issuse while Stoner is winning races and co-leading the championship???
Because Stoner is winning in spite of the bike and not because of it. If the bike was good there would be more Ducatis further up the field instead of languishing in the back. But we've been over this time and time again...

Sounds to me like they need a couple of more good riders. As I have said before Kalio is in his rookie season.. give him some time too come to grips. Canepa Is also in his rookie season, Testing and Racing are NOT the same. Then you have Hayden who other than 06 has never been spectacular in Moto GP and has seriously strugged with the 800cc bike for both Honda and Ducati.
Just do see how with these facts you can conclude that the bike is trash.
Hayden has won a world championship which as far as I know is more than Lorenzo, Pedrossa or any of the other "good" riders have done with the exception of Stoner and Rossi. But regardless of that the facts are very clear: Last year Nicky Hayden finished top five eight times and only finished outside the top ten four times. He put it on the podium twice (a second and third). He had two DNF's other than that his two finishes outside the top ten where two thirteenth place finishes. This was last year, so it is very recent not some pipe dream about something he did on the 990cc Honda three years ago, this was just last year. I won't even go into the Michelin tires or any of the other issues. lets just look at the results as they are.

Fast forward to this year. Up until this race, Nicky Hayden has lapped an average of two seconds a lap slower on the Ducati than he did on the Honda. Now a rider is unlikely to have forgotten how to go two seconds a lap faster, more likely it is an equipment limitation causing that. This final race helped a bit because the base setting was an improvement which immediately made his times competitive in the first practice session turning a fastest lap 0.516 seconds slower than Stoner. Free practice 2, Hayden managed to improve his time by over half a second while Stoner only manages to go less than two tenths faster. In Final qualifying Hayden was only 0.275 seconds out of fifth place that is not a huge amount of time.

Those are the facts. Hayden went from a top five finisher, visited the podium twice last year and had a season best finish of second place to being a consistent finisher outside of the top ten and a season best finish of tenth so far and the only substantive change is the bike. So you tell me, how can it be anything but the bike?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts