Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here like women that can ride the wheels off their own bikes? >:)

I shot this behind the scenes video last weekend for a local group of female riders that shoot a calendar every year. Not only do they all ride, but quite a few of them are very accomplished track riders as well. I swear there WAS a Ducati rider there... she just left before the video shooting started.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
One of the many reasons I married this girl:

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
I sure do!
We have an ever growing group of female track day students , and I can tell you I would rather work with them on the track than you guys. Many of them ride very well and they ALL look better in their leathers.

Back in the BCM days we used to have a ladies track day, we had riders travel to Loudon from Florida to ride with us. The ladies days were mixed older and younger riders but mostly older. Now we see many more younger 20 somethings showing up. Though we do have an older woman show up on a ninja 250 and kick big bike ass in the intermediate group, she has gotten to the point where she is vintage racing now and having a great time.

I think as more see that they CAN do it they give it a try and find out how much fun it is. Gear is available that was not an option not that long ago, I have pages of female specific gear in my catalogs that is NOT fashion wear.

The Bikes are the hard part as women still are often shorter and less strong. Sport bikes are often tall and many are top heavy so this is a bad fit and why so many ride cruisers. I have a couple gal customers where we had to put them on little bikes and then lower them because they could not reach, The problem with this is just like the guys many of the more experienced gals want more power and better handling. One has a monster 1100 she will ride on trackdays and longer street rides but for day to day she has been preferring her Honda Grom or small dual sport.

I need a motorcycle manufacturer to build a mid to full size sport bike that simply has a low seat height. Ducati supersports 1991-1998 were close but when they made the new model they raised the set height and killed the market for shorter riders. Keep in mind some do not want a naked bike either, Maybe a moto-3 /125 sized bike with a bigger motor.

Either way I want to keep the group growing!

·
Super Moderator
25,923 Posts
I've been schooled by Paige Huston (owner of PJ's Parts) on the Dragon more than once. Glued to her back wheel, doing exactly what she does she still manages to eck out a few inches on every corner exit, probably because she's turning in a inch better than I am...and after a couple hundred corners she's dropping me. It's fun!

Paige can ride! :D

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Cuz she let's you ride her bike?:wink2:
The fee is steep but yes occasionally I do get to rip around on her S1000RR and it is one hell of a fun bike.

Funny, i took this just today.
It looks like her hair matches the bike! Gonna need her to unveil her helmet so we can see this beauty.

·
Señor Member
8,027 Posts
I am not a long distance rider but admire those that do. At the recent Sister's Centennial Ride there was a stop in nearby Roseville. I struck up a conversation with this woman, she had a Colorado plate on her bike. She said she rode to the start of the ride in New Jersey and was part of the core of 60 women making the full ride. And of the many other women I know that ride, I admire their tenacity to get out there.

Attachments

·
unM0derator
2,855 Posts
I've been schooled by Paige Huston (owner of PJ's Parts) on the Dragon more than once. Glued to her back wheel, doing exactly what she does she still manages to eck out a few inches on every corner exit, probably because she's turning in a inch better than I am...and after a couple hundred corners she's dropping me. It's fun!

Paige can ride! :D

Women naturally have a lower center of gravity.

Geoff

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Could you at least try to make the rest of us feel better, and tell us shes a turrible cook and is turning into her mother? :grin2:
Well she is a good cook but doesn't love to do it. There is always negotiation about dinners out or eating at home. Recently we discovered Blue Apron and that has helped persuade her to cook at home more... now about her mother, not a chance of turning into her! :smile2:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Bikes are the hard part as women still are often shorter and less strong. Sport bikes are often tall and many are top heavy so this is a bad fit and why so many ride cruisers. I have a couple gal customers where we had to put them on little bikes and then lower them because they could not reach, The problem with this is just like the guys many of the more experienced gals want more power and better handling. One has a monster 1100 she will ride on trackdays and longer street rides but for day to day she has been preferring her Honda Grom or small dual sport.

I need a motorcycle manufacturer to build a mid to full size sport bike that simply has a low seat height. Ducati supersports 1991-1998 were close but when they made the new model they raised the set height and killed the market for shorter riders. Keep in mind some do not want a naked bike either, Maybe a moto-3 /125 sized bike with a bigger motor.

Either way I want to keep the group growing!
At our local track the small bike racing has been super popular the last couple years, so we've got lots of ladies riding Yamaha R3s, Ninja 300s, CBR250s, etc. You're right though, there's no really good step between those bike and Supersport bikes with tall seats. Maybe that will change soon, with the 600 going the way of the Dodo and the "supermid" becoming the new thing, perhaps a new category of bikes will grow in the place once held by the 600 SuperSport bikes. There's always the SV650 as well, which is another very popular racing class around here and with a decent female racer following.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts