Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my bike I spent a few hours with the original owner just talking and sharing stories. He was having a hard time letting go and I respected that but it was cool to chat about the bike’s history from new so we did that for quite a while.
Just before I left he said ‘Oh one thing I nearly forgot, check this out’ and he showed me the coolest thing.
Under the fuel tank presumably someone in the QA department or assembly scratched his name and date into the paint. Just recently someone posted a similar story on Facebook. I was blown away, it was the same name I have, SAV!!
How many others got his autograph?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
yeah, mine has something similar....I don't remember exactly but there were initials and a date written in pencil....if I find a pic I'll share it here..................found the pic. SAV and 12/93 or 95:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was supposed to be in Italy September but that’s not gonna happen for a while now.
I’m going to find Sav!!

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Probably verifies a pressure test for leaks. Some get covered up, some don’t . They may only spot check, not check every tank, so every tank may not have the mark. Or, those might be the ones that failed, were repaired, and put back in inventory.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
I think you will find SAV on most if not all original tanks . I have a 996 tank in the shop that also has it but by 1999 it was a stamp not hand written. I am trying to find some original painted panels as I kind of remember it being on more than tanks. So when do we see forgeries on repaints ?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You all know by now that I am mostly a BMW guy lol--But on BMW tanks that were made pre-war and up to at least 1969 there were initials on the bottom of the tank, these were also found on the inside of the ft & rear mudguards, I have found 6 different sets or rather 6 different persons initials on these parts. BMW used women for all of their pin stripping-- I have the original parts with these on them. When I restore a bike my painter will put this on each part. some people have guessed that maybe they were just doing this to use up paint in the pin stripe brush--This I dont believe. But I get my painter to do this because he is probably one of the top 10 painter / pin strippers in the U.S. and he can duplicate it perfectly. I know its a small detail that most people would not think twice about--but thats why my restorations win in their class. Everything in a Concurs event is attention to detail

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
But with this sav on the Ducati tanks I would guess it's some kind of proof mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The guy who recently posted on Facebook had one under his tank and another next to what looked like a manufacturer date code.
Hard to tell but looked like inside the fairing

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
I have several SS tanks. When I get back home I’ll check them for the mark. You guys seem to be looking for some romantic reason for this. Sav loved his work, signed each piece, yada
yada. Chances are extremely good that it just had something to do with the manufacturing process. Verifying a process completed, a test done.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it's a contraction of 2 or 3 Italian words that translate as "Good Enough To Ship".... :LOL:

Now I gotta go out and look under my '97 SS tank.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it's a contraction of 2 or 3 Italian words that translate as "Good Enough To Ship".... :LOL:

Now I gotta go out and look under my '97 SS tank.
LoL. I found the under tank grafitti about a year ago and queried another member here who’s had his ‘95 since new. He confirmed to me then that his tank bore the same marks.

I’m not romanticizing anything. I’m curious as to what it is exactly. Nothing more. If it’s the initials of the guy who QC’d the tank as part of the inspection process that’s cool.

If it is nothing more than the initials of some Italian phrase that means “ good enough to ship” that’s cool too.

Means little to me other than a human being wrote it before my particular bike was assembled.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts
Well, how about if it means ” Scrap And Verify“ ? I used to be a quality engineer. You would not have wanted my initials on your motorcycle parts. If my initials were on something, it meant I was releasing parts that were not within blueprint spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts