Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with aftermarket fork seals? Are the aftermarket seals as good, or better than OEM?

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I tried a set of the All Balls brand seals on my ST4s Showa forks. Initially I loved them. They felt pliable and very slick going on. Low sticktion. They started leaking from both sides in about 2 months. Went back to OEM seals and added a dab Race Tech seal / bushing grease at installation. Perfect. Full season not a hint of a leak and smooth action (the grease made a nice difference). The OEM seals and bushings are excellent and are pretty inexpensive. Places like Race Tech sell the OEM stuff. I'll stay away from the aftermarket fork seal based on my experience with the All Balls seals.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used what ever came from Race Tech in the Showas on my monster and have had good luck, few years few thousand miles. the oem seals were NOK who make seals for many car and bike companies. I used the oem seals on my 749r. they were updated from the one I took out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried a set of the All Balls brand seals on my ST4s Showa forks. Initially I loved them. They felt pliable and very slick going on. Low sticktion. They started leaking from both sides in about 2 months. Went back to OEM seals and added a dab Race Tech seal / bushing grease at installation. Perfect. Full season not a hint of a leak and smooth action (the grease made a nice difference). The OEM seals and bushings are excellent and are pretty inexpensive. Places like Race Tech sell the OEM stuff. I'll stay away from the aftermarket fork seal based on my experience with the All Balls seals.
thanks, this helped a lot. This is exactly what I want to avoid, but I also want to avoid paying $100 for OEM seals and dust seals. I guess it's worth not having to do the work twice.

does anyone have experience with pyramid or other brands? I'm sure most seals are from the same manufacturer just rebadged.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I also want to avoid paying $100 for OEM seals and dust seals.
A pair of fork seals are about $25.00 at Race Tech. Same with the dust seals.

·
Bon Vivant
11,728 Posts
I bought my GSXR seal from a dealership that sells both Suzuki and Ducati, the seals were exactly the same price.

I thought the GSXR seals were supposed to have a double lip sealing surface and the Ohlins a single, but looking at both the ohlins also has a double lip.

The ohlins seals have a little tighter fit.
I know that some techs will remove the spring and unscrew the ends (that's how the spring forms a ring) and clip about a half inch off and screw it back together. This gives just a little more tension on the seal.

I did not replace my dust seals, they only come in the ohlins kit - next time I will buy the oem Ducati ohlins seals and dust caps.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I had the 996S forks on my naked 748 rebuilt with seals from Pyramid. over 2500 miles on them this season and they're still pliable and do not leak at all.

I think they were around $25 or so shipped. Can't recall off hand, but not bad.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I don't waste my time on aftermarket seals, ever, not with Aprilia, Ducati or Honda. Cost of seals direct from Ohlins was less than a factory "set", IIRC from Aprilia they were $60? saved few bucks since I didn't need the dust seals. Seals that came direct from Ohlins looked better than original, more money than GSXR but still will not break the bank and if it saves me from having to pull the forks apart again and waste more time and fork oil (Ohlins stuff $20+ per liter) than it's a Win-Win.

Forks are due for Oil change every 10K or 15K, (can't recall for sure) that's about 1-2 years for me, if I spend extra $50 every 2 years on Original seals and replace them with very oil change and not have the fork seal blow 500 miles from home, like it did last time, than it's money well spent.

C'mon guys, WTF is this, Save-a-Lot forum!? If you have a ~$18,000 bike with a $2,400 set of forks on it are you really gonna get some aftermarket shite seals to save $25?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
C'mon guys, WTF is this, Save-a-Lot forum!? If you have a ~$18,000 bike with a $2,400 set of forks on it are you really gonna get some aftermarket shite seals to save $25?
Well excuse me mr moneybags lol, but mine were $300 forks on a $4000 bike that needed a buttload of work so yeah I went aftermarket on the seals.

Not everyone has a bunch of 1098R in their garage and can always afford to pay über top dollar for the the factory stuff. So, a little input on cheaper aftermarket seals that work just as well is fine in my book.

Remember, you don't need "Ducati" money to get into the "used Ducati game".... but it does help. :D

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Not a "professional" suspension guru, but I would qualify as semi-pro, worked part time at the suspension shop so I have some first hand experience with this, and the first thing I remember is that any seal that says "Leak Proof" was a total shite! Leaked almost instantly,

I have used plenty of aftermarket stuff, some of it is good, in fact many parts are same as OEM but with non OEM packaging, however in this case I would not recommend cheap seals or shitty fork oil, not saying that you have to burn money, just have to be smart about where you get your parts. You may save $20 buying aftermarket seals but have to do it twice, where is the savings in that? how many members here had cheap seals blow couple month after installation? If you consider the cost of having them re-done and also possibly having to replace brake pads because they got soaked with fork oil, OEM seals suddenly become a Cheaper Option!

And, no, I'm not made of money, not a single bike here that I paid more then $5K for, Aprilia was about $18K new and it does have fancy TiN coated Ohlins, but I got it used and abused, fixed it up and now enjoying it, just like most of the bikes that I end up buying.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not against spending the extra few bucks on any component especially gaskets and seals. I am a mechanic by trade and have done my share of repeat work due to cheap rebuilt parts or inferior seals, so I like getting feedback on what parts are successful and better than OEM.

The internet has become a great tool when looking for such information.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Just to clarify: Suzuki OEM seals probably will not leak, in fact some may be same exact part as Ducati (Showa) my main complaint is aftermarket stuff.

Got valve seals for my 748 form SP3, same exact part that dealer sells but for 1/8th of the cost!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just out of curiosity, which GSXR seals are compatable, and to which forks? The forks i'm rebuilding right now are monster S4R's, which i believe are equivalent to 749/999's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts