Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm itching to get something a little more aggressive than the Multistrada and I admit the new 2019 Speed Triple RS has caught my attention. I've got a pending deal on the table but I would be remiss if I didn't consider a Monster 1200S (not the R) as well. The dealer I'm working with has a 2017 1200S marked down to $13,995 :surprise: along with the new 2019 Speed Triple RS. They are both similar in power and I like the looks of both of them. I will want to do some light touring regionally and I think both would handle luggage similarly. I may give a nod to the Speed in terms of long term comfort since looking at the cycle eargos site shows slightly tighter hip and knee angle for the Monster. Same forward lean angle for both. However I do note that cycle ergos doesn't have info for the latest generation of Speed Triples and I do think the rider triangle got slightly more aggressive.

Now, I know it's a personal decision (I get it!). I'm curious for any current Monster owners who may have cross shopped the Speed Triple or other similar bike to the Monster and why you chose the Monster?

I think I know what I'm going to do but sometimes I get so excited with the idea of buying a new bike I don't consider something so I appreciate the feedback.

Also, I can do without any snarky comments. >:)

·
Administrator
13,030 Posts
Also, I can do without any snarky comments. >:)

Well dammit I will just be over here now that you have limited all my fun....

:grin2:

Reactions: Gadgetech

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
Mostly I'd like to give you a few snarky comments ...

Please ride them both. and do consider other choices. When I first got my S1000R I took it to the track with a couple of buddies - one guy had a new Speed Triple R and he wanted to ride my BMW, so we traded and did a couple of laps. I was pretty disappointed in the speedy, it doesnt have the power of any of the new breed of hyper naked bikes and after coming off of the BMW it felt like it had the power of a mid-size bike. That may be fine with you but for me, I couldn't wait to get back on the S1000R.

If I were you I'd try to get a ride on a 1200R, an S1000R, a Tuono V4 factory, and as much as I hate to say it a KTM 1290 superduke. Hey, the Speed Trip is a nice bike, but its just not in the same class as the big boys.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Why do you hate to say a KTM 1290 superduke?

PhilB

·
Hammer Down
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew I could count on y'all. lol

KTM is a no (just don't like the transformer look), anything BMW is a no (I know they're nice bikes but I just don't care for any of their offerings), the power on the Speed Triple is fine for me. I considered a Monster 1200S but I think, based on ergos it's less comfortable (more cramped) than the Speed Triple.

Just a note, the Speed Triple HP has been increased to the 150 range. The older bikes were closer to 130.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts

KTM is a no (just don't like the transformer look), anything BMW is a no (I know they're nice bikes but I just don't care for any of their offerings), the power on the Speed Triple is fine for me. I considered a Monster 1200S but I think, based on ergos it's less comfortable (more cramped) than the Speed Triple.

Just a note, the Speed Triple HP has been increased to the 150 range. The older bikes were closer to 130.

But they really are lead sleds compared to the competition. But hey, that’s not everything. If the bike talks to your heart it’s the one for you. That’s how I ended up with my wife of 38 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
446 Posts

I saw a black Super Duke GT on the freeway the other day and I have to admit that I thought it looked really good. Also the reviewer known as "skinny jeans" (Zach) raves about that motor...

·
Hammer Down
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
But they really are lead sleds compared to the competition.
I could see it being appreciably heavier than the S1000R (I haven't found their dry weight on that bike). Dry weight is 8lbs heavier than a Monster 1200S (negligible) and 13 lbs lighter than a Super Duke R. HP and TQ is similar to the Monster 1200S and it's less than .5HP/lb difference from the SDR. I'm using dry weight for the measurement since that's what is readily available except for the BMW.

The 2019 Speed Triple RS has shed some weight and picked up a few extra ponies to get it closer. Granted it's not in the same class as the 1200R, S1000R and SDR (although it's close) it also doesn't cost what those do if you keep similar features. IMO the only thing it's on par with looks is the Monster 1200.

So anyone compare or switch from one to the other and have some thoughts on that?

ETA: It's lighter than my Multistrada and has similar power so I'm thinking it'll be more fun. I'm really curious how the comfort between the two would be over a long day of riding? Either of these are going to be comfortable in the short term on a test ride.

·
Bon Vivant
11,454 Posts
ETA: It's lighter than my Multistrada and has similar power so I'm thinking it'll be more fun. I'm really curious how the comfort between the two would be over a long day of riding? Either of these are going to be comfortable in the short term on a test ride.

I dont think you'll have any trouble with comfort. I also think you can't go wrong with the new Triumphs, the reliability is very good. Also I've not had any trouble with fueling on Triumph either and if its anything like my Thruxton there's nothing better on the market right now for perfect butter smooth throttle control.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The last time I rode a speed trip was 07. I liked it a lot. But moved into an i4 from a Suzuki sv650s. Then onto 1098 Ltwin and one more time to i4. But kept the Ltwin and now have another Ltwin. I would consider a speed trip if they brought the bug eyes back. Might be good comprise between the two style of motors. But in the end I love the grunt of the Ducati on corner exits so I’m at peace for right now.

If you like it, get it. Ride it for many miles then look for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I rode a buddy's 08' Speedy this weekend with Arrows that had a revalved suspension and Ohlins shock. The motor is peach; smooth and a lot of torque everywhere. Some describe it as in between a twin and I4 and that's pretty accurate. I definitely could live with that motor.

Handling was quick, almost twitchy but the valving and spring rate was set up for a heavier rider so I can't really comment. Wind protection was nil (I'd have to get used to that). The aesthetics was not my style, I am not a 53 yo hooligan :) Funny thing is that the owner is older than me.

Scott L.

·
Hammer Down
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well I went and test rode the Speed Triple today and I was all set to buy one. It was great in several ways but the relaxed riding position of the Multi has spoiled me and the way a L twin delivers the power (even though they're similar numbers) I just couldn’t pull the trigger on trading in my Multi. I’ve test ridden several different bikes and the Multistrada is the only one that I care for really and my desire to own it is greater than my desire to own something new and different. Maybe in another year or two I’ll look at a new Multistrada. The only other bike I’ve been this content with was a Speed Triple and I sold it for the same reason I’m trying to sell my Multi. I wanted something new but didn’t really possess a need for anything different. I think I’ll just stick my Multistrada for now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts