Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Don't know about you guys but building a Harley sporster into a Ducati bevel lookalike just seems funny to me but maybe thats just me.:confused:
Oh, come on, he really made one of the nicer looking Harleys I've ever seen. :D

Of course compared to any Ducati bevel it is not kind to the eye and probably worse to ride. Probably worth the most as parts.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I see it as a bit weird...certainly by US values, but this is not that uncommon elsewhere. In Australia there are more than a few of these and often with a Vincent engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In Australia there are more than a few of these and often with a Vincent engine.
In 15 years of living in Australia I have never seen one.
Ever.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
In 15 years of living in Australia I have never seen one.
Ever.
Never even heard of one ? Then you have an interesting experience in store for you ! I have seen several on the web over the years and friends say it is not THAT unusual. Going to the other side of the world, have you not seen the NCR conversions of bevel bikes to Vincent power ?

Bottom line, something other than the Ducati lump may be heresy in the bevel frame, but it just isn't that unsual.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bevel450 - Look a little more closely and read the description. As far as I can tell, the only thing it has in common with a Duke is the fairing and tailpiece. The rest, including the frame (except for the tank), is pure Sportster.

People do put Harley and Vincent motors in Featherbed frames. Perhaps thats what you're thinking of.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Bevel450 - Look a little more closely and read the description. As far as I can tell, the only thing it has in common with a Duke is the fairing and tailpiece. The rest, including the frame (except for the tank), is pure Sportster.

People do put Harley and Vincent motors in Featherbed frames. Perhaps thats what you're thinking of.
Thanks for the correction and the chance to clarify.

You are correct in noting that I had assumed that the frame was Duc. ( Me bad.) And I am familiar with the HD and V engines in Featherbed frames. ( Does that make them "Norhog" as well as the better known "Norvin" ?)

But all that said, I am not mistaken in my observation of HD and V engines in bevel Duc frames -the NCR conversion of bevel Duc frame to Vincent engine. That latter one really blew my mind.

The rationale for any and all of the above ? The owner just wanted it that way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have read an article in Two Wheels (Australia) back in the late 70's ( early 80's?) where a Vincent engine was shoehorned into a GT frame to make a "Vincati" and it was done really well and rode well also. I'll see if I can find it. There have also been the Norvins and even a Sporton here in Queensland.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Macdesmo, thanks for jogging my memory. An article on that bike appeared in the January 1995 issue of Classic Bike. It seems to have been well done but its not to my taste.

I'm still looking for a reference to an NCR Vincent though......

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I have read an article in Two Wheels (Australia) back in the late 70's ( early 80's?) where a Vincent engine was shoehorned into a GT frame to make a "Vincati" and it was done really well and rode well also. I'll see if I can find it. There have also been the Norvins and even a Sporton here in Queensland.
I'm pretty sure that Peter Eagan had an article on the same bike here in Cycle World sometime in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Macdesmo, thanks for jogging my memory. An article on that bike appeared in the January 1995 issue of Classic Bike. It seems to have been well done but its not to my taste.

I'm still looking for a reference to an NCR Vincent though......
It was featured on their website ( NCR) a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Perhaps you guys are referring to the Egli Vincent or maybe even a Norvin??
Neither of these machines should ever be confused with a Ducati wannabe however unlike the subject american monstrosity which is almost as bad as the 250 single chopper that was on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

There is an absolutely stunning local example of an all alloy Egli that I quite often see in the hills.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts