Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southwest Ohio in January is usually dark grey cloudy with temperatures hovering
in the thirties at best.

This morning started with high winds and heavy rain, a good day to perform
inside chores.

Sometime around noon it stopped raining, the sun came out and the temperature
went way up quickly

After I got my duties in order I went to the garage knowing that 'Pa' my trusty
Norton would start easily so we took a leisurely ride around the neighborhood to
get the oil circulating then blasted our way to Ault Park and back.

On a whim I tried GeGee the Triumph and got it started and ran the same course
to the park and home.

Now Feen-x the red Ducati has been unwilling to start for the last few times and
I thought that I wouldn't even try but I had the key in hand so what the
heck........it fired right up and we did a three-peat on the earlier rides.

Today starts the fourteenth year in a row that I have ridden 'Pa' my trusty
Norton at least once a month every month of the year. There have been years when
I have had to shovel a path through the snow to the street but I do what I have
to do to keep the streak going.

Ride On (in January)
Dave

·
comrade moderator
27,518 Posts
I might hop on the KLR for some backroad flatracking but the roads here are covered in dirt and a little salt, and I won't do that to the Duc. That won't see internal combustion until well after the spring rains clean the roads...May?

The KLR I don't really give a damn and that's why I own it! :)

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
It was probably warmer in OH today than it was in southern CA. It was damn cold here for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
395 Posts
it hit an unseasonable 70 degrees in Tennessee. By noon the roads were dry and I did about 80 miles on my ST4 then switched onto my BMW and did another 100 or so. Won't be this warm again for awhile so it was definitely time to seize the moment; hordes of bikers were out and it felt like an early spring :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Going to be in the mid 70's here today. After I get done riding today I'll stick my finger in the exhaust can and let you poor frozen folks up north smell my finger.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well I rode to work the last couple of days 60 mile round trip, temps 1 - 5 degrees here in the north sea UK Shetland island I live on.
Have just given the bike a wash down to get any salt off her, and will do some chain maintenance once dry.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Going to be in the mid 70's here today. After I get done riding today I'll stick my finger in the exhaust can and let you poor frozen folks up north smell my finger.
Lol nice!

I've been riding too, similar weather to Foxz. It's been quite grand.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
We were in the 20s the past few days with a bit of slickness due to the humidity. It was a coin toss, but the ST won out. I trust it more in rough weather than our second car that doesn't have winter tires. I also wanted to try out my new gear. Just a couple months ago, I finally bought a pair of insulated pants to back up my unlined leathers. An insulated jacket that I won several months ago finally arrived to back up my unlined leather jacket with vented sleeves and waterproof overcoat. I was so excited I threw some bones at a pair of BMW Pro Storm 2 gloves. There was almost no way short of snow accumulation that the ST was going to sit out the commute yesterday.

It was a great ride and the ST was up to the challenge. Although, the recent mantra after these commutes is that a Ural would have allowed me to play more. :D Need second bike!

It was nice not having to layer. The new gear combo was just perfect. The jacket doesn't have a tall collar, so I will probably buy a TurtleFur or similar as the lining in the Reevu doesn't play well with balaclavas. With this helmet, I only need neck protection anyway.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I rode to work the last couple of days 60 mile round trip, temps 1 - 5 degrees here in the north sea UK Shetland island I live on.
Have just given the bike a wash down to get any salt off her, and will do some chain maintenance once dry.
Good Lord Man!!!
You are way out there in the middle of nowhere!!!!! Half way between mainland Europe and Iceland.
You must have a heated nut warmer.
Ok so I'll quit complaining about how cold it is here, promise.

Ride On (Indeed)
Dave

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
i rode today but it was cut short to come home and figure out why
she was heating up...fixed that and there is tomorrow.

·
Registered
972 Posts
It was in the low 70's here in Atlanta, so i took my thruxton out for an hour long drive to my parents house to take a look at the sc1000s that's parked in their heated basement for the winter. Since my wife is in Colombia i decided to spend the night and take the duc out tomorrow.

·
comrade moderator
27,518 Posts
I spent the better part of the day shoveling a foot of wet, heavy snow off the roof of my house and that was enough for me!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Would that be the Dirty Sanchesi ' or the appropriate Italian substitute:)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
comrade moderator
27,518 Posts
"Wanted...waaan-teed...dead or a aliiiive...!"

On the other hand, my concerns about exercise this winter have been alleviated.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
had the new to me st4s out today for a 100 mile shake down. She ran great, that 38 tooth rear sprocket has to go however. :)

can't get out of 3rd gear, 65mph and taching about 4500, shift to 4th and tach
4k at 70. These mountain roads ain't made for that 38tooth thang.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
About 8 of us rode to St. Augustine, FL for lunch at The Columbia Restaurant: Columbia Restaurant - St. Augustine, Florida Location
If you like Cuban food, the Columbia Restaurant is great.
We started off in the upper 50's and were sweating as we rode through Jacksonville, FL looking for the Ducati / Triumph / Honda shop.
It looks like it's going to be a hot summer in the southeast....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts