Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Who designed the 1991 Ducati 900ss?

8K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  pockomoth 
#1 ·
Who can be credited with the design of the 1991-1998 900ss bikes?
Tamburini?
Terblanche?
Bordi?

TIA for your expert replies

Bruce Robinson
Retired in Ohio

#4 ·
Fabio Taglioni designed the 90 degree air cooled desmo V-twin engine, according to Ian Falloon in his "Ducati Belt-Drive Two-Valve Twins" book. According to Mick Walker in his "Ducati 2-Valve V-Twins" book, Massimo Bordi and his design team designed the "new" 1989-1990 900 SuperSport, which in modified form, gave rise to our beloved 1991-1998 SuperSport ("The Bordi Interview", Walker, page 81). ;)
Joe

#11 ·
Yep the 900SS had the 851 crankcases which were Bordi's creation so engine wise I expect the 900SS was his ...although I do believe it was basically a matter of putting various production parts together its not really an engine design in itself ...

The 350/400/600/750's were still the old Pantah cases which were Taglioni.

it was miguel galluzzi......

In 1989, he teamed with the Cagiva Group and subsequently designed the Ducati Monster, 900 SS and 944 ST, the Cagiva Planet, Raptor and Xtra-Raptor...
I suppose could have been him, I don't expect the 1991 SS was drawn much before 1989 ... while it shared the headlight and similiar frontal styling as the 851 it didn't necessarily have the same designer, it certainly was drawn to have a family resemblance with the 851 though (wouldn't a new SS with a styling resemblance to the 1098 be a great machine). But in saying that I don't know the answer, although like others I have pondered this question in the past and as the responses show here its not public knowledge who sketched these Ducati classics.

#5 ·
it was miguel galluzzi......

Italy's Piaggio Group has hired former Honda and Ducati Designer Miguel Galluzzi as head of the Aprilia Style Center.

A graduate of the Pasadena Art Center's College of Design, Galluzzi began his career with two-wheelers in 1989 when he joined Honda as a motorcycle designer and was given the tasks of following the latest European style trends and working on a 600cc project.

In 1989, he teamed with the Cagiva Group and subsequently designed the Ducati Monster, 900 SS and 944 ST, the Cagiva Planet, Raptor and Xtra-Raptor...

#6 ·
Can anyone document any of the above? I'm not buying that Galluzzi designed the 900, though everyone knows he designed the monster. The monster and 900 are zip codes apart in their styling.

Clearly the 851 and 900 came from the same DNA pool, and both were drawn before 1989.

#8 ·
There's no doubt Galluzzi designed the Monster and the ST2. I'm with Mark G; Kozmo, what is your source that he designed the SS? Falloon and Walker do not mention this and I have not been able to verify it anywhere. The 1991 SS was an update of the 1989-90 SS, which would have been designed before Galluzzi was at Ducati, if he joined them in 1989.
Joe

#10 ·
Joe - Galluzzi also designed the original ST4 and 4S. The latter was then "updated" by Terblanche.

#9 · (Edited)
I have an e mail confirming that it was done by the same designer/stylist as the original 851 bike.....and the famous MV Augusta "Fire Engines" of Hailwood, Surtees, Hartle, Read, etc.

A guy named Tibaldi. Not Tamburini, nor Taglioni, not even the famous Tartarini. Tibaldi. Ducati enthusiasts should spend a rainy Saturday afternoon getting their T's straight.

That said, there is MUCH misinformation out there on who styled what in their product line. Example...who designed the 1098, the Streetfighter and the re-styled Monster ?

#17 ·
Really whoever designed the Supermono is the person who "designed" The FI Supersport. I always though it was Terblanche.

Wikipedia: "Pierre Terblanche designed the look of the Supermono, with Claudio Domenicali and Massimo Bordi designing frame, power plant and other unique features."

#19 ·
Do you really think there was a single designer of the '91-97 Supersport? I've always suspected it was just a continuous evolution of Pantah sportbikes from the TT1 & 2, thru the F1, the '89 SS, and then to the Carbed SS. If anything, the '91-94 SS was a return to the sexiness of the TTs (from the Fugliness, IMO, of the '89)

#20 ·
Great thread. Bikes, like movies, are collaborative, but in movies you always know who directed. Reading Falloon's book, not enough detail is given for project heads. Funny, Guzzis have a much more detailed history, while their innovations haven't been as renowned, yet glory is grudgingly given with Ducati.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.