Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously Marchesini & BST for starters.

PVM recommended?

Who else?

Advantages of Alum over Mag over Carbon Fiber? Price obviously. How about how true they are? Rigidity? Strength?

It's going to be quite some time before I break down and purchase a 16.5" rear wheel, but I'd like to have some info gathered until then.

Also, when looking at wheels, I'm sure one would want to consider sprockets and ease of finding replacements. How much of a consideration does this come into play?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
  • My 996 has a 16.5" rear, up until a few years ago this was the trick setup, but development of 17" tires has made it largely moot. We're only taking 1/2" in diameter, the real advantage for us mortals was the quality of the tires - and that advantage has largely disappeared, at least with Dunlop.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Well, 16.5" wheels are just like any other wheel, just slightly smaller. Most everyone has made them at one point for WSBK, MotoGP or even AMA superbike who use to use them.

Carbon fiber is the strongest material.

In terms of metals, magnesium is the strongest, though it doesn't last long (5 years or so). Aluminum not only last longer, but todays forging technologies make Aluminum wheels almost as light as Magnesium.

Here is the skinny on a 16.5" setup. It was adopted a long time ago by the riders because of its slightly larger contact patch when leaned over. The only catch is, its a true racing setup only. That means, no street or DOT tires, so you're stuck using these specialized tires that you can't buy at stores, only from race tire suppliers or on ebay. Also, 16.5" wheels are designed for 195 - 205 wide tires. So that means, they actually are heavier then the 17' counterparts do to needing more lip material for the tire bead.

The advantage to 16.5" tires (especially the rear) is nothing anybody on this forum can figure out. This season in AMA on 17" tires, Mladin went FASTER then he did last season on 16.5's at my home track. So that tells you straight up, 16.5's don't make a difference.

Some users are posers... others like me use them to get cheaper tires. Since nobody uses 16.5's anymore, Dunlop especially, is blowing out of their stock and you can get tires for pretty cheap. I bought 30 sets of take off's for roughly the same price as buying 5 sets of 17's new! So there really is a price difference. But the 16.5" wheels are expensive, Dunlop is done with developing a 16.5" tire (making their tire old) and Pirelli doesn't import very many 16.5's, so you won't get very many deals from them.

All in all, 16.5's arn't really worth while unless you really have a reason to buy them and they won't make you faster. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In terms of metals, magnesium is the strongest, though it doesn't last long (5 years or so). Aluminum not only last longer, but todays forging technologies make Aluminum wheels almost as light as Magnesium.
The lifespan thing is a real turn off, and I've been noticing the weight comparisons between mags and alum. making mags not really worth the extra money, at least not in my book.

Thanks for the info Tye. I was really looking at them as a second set of wheels specifically for track use anyways so the notion that the tires that are available for them are strictly slicks or race only tires doesn't bother me at all.

I was not aware of the recent changes in wheels and tires that has made 17" wheels the desired size. This is actually a relief since I've noticed the prices of 16.5" wheels being astronomical to say the least!!!

moto - I wanted to take a look at the wheels on your site while here @ work, but they have the site blocked with the reasoning given being : Sex :rolleyes:

However, the really funny thing is that I can get in there via a direct link to products THEN I'm able to navigate...it just doesn't like it when I click on the product link from the home page....strange...

It's a while yet till I'm able to buy another set of wheels, but rather than buy a set of wheels from another Duc, I figured it would make more sense to buy a set of even lighter wheels. Since it's for the R, I'd have to buy a set of OEM Forged Alum. wheels anyways to make it worth my wild in the first place, and at that point, the cost wouldn't be that far off for aftermarket wheels.

Thanks for the info all, this is the kind of information I was looking for!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts