Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 748 I just had the belts changed all the fluids and 2 flaking rockers now I have noticed white smoke coming out of the left exhaust any ideas on what to look for ?
Thanks for any help
Kevin

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Its burning oil out of the rear cylinder. Could be coming from a multitude of places .

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Well, is it cold out?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have a 99 748 I just had the belts changed all the fluids and 2 flaking rockers now I have noticed white smoke coming out of the left exhaust any ideas on what to look for ?
Thanks for any help
Kevin
If the engine runs fine (2 cylinders, no stumble) you don't have to worry.

Considering your location and outside temperature, most likely it is indeed condensation.
For magic reasons, Ducati's always seem to have more condensation coming out of one pipe then the other.
It will disappear if the engine gets hot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 916 does the same thing. Theres always smoke on the left pipe. And that side always gets hotter first.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I may be talking out of my azz here, but if the XXX8 series bikes are similar to the XXX9 engines, and you were to put a wide band o2 sensor in each midpipe for sampleing and tuning purposes, you will find that one head and pipe will run a little hotter and leaner than the other one.

Are you running your factory pipes still? If so, it could be condesation in the longer pipe to the front head taking longer to burn off.
If not, what pipe/ muffler are you running?
Ever had it tuned or remapped to match the pipe/muffler combo?
Did you only start noticing it after the service work, or perhaps your more in tuned to watching for oddities now after the service than before.

If your sure you did not have this issue before the rockers were changed, Im wondering if some slight dammage occured to one or more of those valve seals.
Did you have the work done at a dealer or a certified Ducati service center?
Its possible the technician was not familiar with our sensitive valvetrain.

Im just trying to think of possibilities and questions to help.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I may be talking out of my azz here, but if the XXX8 series bikes are similar to the XXX9 engines, and you were to put a wide band o2 sensor in each midpipe for sampleing and tuning purposes, you will find that one head and pipe will run a little hotter and leaner than the other one.

Are you running your factory pipes still? If so, it could be condesation in the longer pipe to the front head taking longer to burn off.
If not, what pipe/ muffler are you running?
Ever had it tuned or remapped to match the pipe/muffler combo?
Did you only start noticing it after the service work, or perhaps your more in tuned to watching for oddities now after the service than before.

If your sure you did not have this issue before the rockers were changed, Im wondering if some slight dammage occured to one or more of those valve seals.
Did you have the work done at a dealer or a certified Ducati service center?
Its possible the technician was not familiar with our sensitive valvetrain.

Im just trying to think of possibilities and questions to help.

+1

You can easily have a first indication: Is it white, blue-ish or blue smoke?

Basically white is condensation, and should go away upon heating up. It is more visable during colder and humid weather.

Blue-ish might be a start of a problem, or, if you are lucky, the result of left over oil-films after a engine job. Then it will burn off and disappear after heating up one time.

Blue smoke normally indicates oil leaking, and is an indication on a problem like pistons, valve seals, etc.
It might also indicate a repair job gone wrong.
This will not go away upon heating up (although it might get less) and is generally visable upon blipping the engine.

Advise you to give the bike a good ride (>50km) heat up everything properly and see again after it has cooled down.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm assuming your smoking issue is something that is continuous and not going away once the bike is warmed up. If that's the case then the general rule is that white smoke indicates water/coolant getting into the combustion chamber; blue smoke indicates oil is being burned. If the smoke is indeed white and doesn't stop after the bike's been fully warmed up and ridden then it's likely you're getting coolant into the affected cylinder and it's being burned and causing the smoke. You may also be able to verify this by draining the oil and looking for signs of water in the oil. Typically if you're getting coolant into the cylinder it'll also suck a bit of it into the oil. If your oil has a milky color then you've definitely got a coolant leak, possibly from a leaking head gasket. You should also be able to check the coolant level and monitor whether it's getting lower as you run the bike (and continue to suck coolant into the cylinder). Your coolant might also show a bit of contamination so you've got a couple of areas to explore that will give you the answer. Since you indicated that a couple of flaky rockers were changed that leads me to believe at least one of the heads was off, which definitely raises suspicion that you've got a slight leak at that head's gasket. If a dealer did the rocker work then I'd go back and insist they make it right.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
White smoke : oil

Blue smoke : fuel

Anything else : steam.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
My 748 puffed white smoke from the same side. The plume was about 5-7 inches long. Went away after it warmed up. I have asked this very same question on these forums. Someone told me it had something to do with the fresh air access to that cylinder being blocked. This would cause it to warm at a different rate than the other. Check your fluid levels. My oil never lowered, and my coolant never lowered either. I have read many instances of this same issue, I think it is just a trait of the bike. Unless it is lasting a long time, I wouldn't worry about it. Ride the damn thing.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=65770

To the OP. Its funny that your name is Kevin, mine is too. My bike is a 99 748, yours is too. You created a thread about the white smoke,...so did I. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts