Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......just got stranded in the middle of nowhere

The engine just died......

Waiting to be picked up so I can have a lift home to get a trailer.

Shit, shit, shit

Ciaooo

Moller

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bummer! Fuel pump hose became disconnected inside the tank? Regulator/rectifier died? So many possibilities...
Hope you got it home safely.

·
Official Retired Person
7,132 Posts
Opps! Hopefully an easy fix. Just not so easily fixed on the side of the road.

Since we're always curious, be sure to let us know what happened.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.....back home. What a shit day

So many hours in a car to get a trailer. It happened so far from home......

Next job is to search for what caused the situation

·
Registered
790 Posts
So were you just riding down the road and it died or stopped and it died on you....either way that sucks. Hopefully, it's just a dead battery or fuel line issue.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Sorry for the pain! This happened to me last year, but believe it or not, I had just returned from a ride and the engine died almost outside my house. In my case it was the fuel hose off inside the tank, a pain to fix but quite simple. Turn on the ignition and crank the engine while looking into the fuel filler hole; if you can see and hear fuel sloshing around it is the pipe off.

·
Registered
741 Posts
... In my case it was the fuel hose off inside the tank, a pain to fix but quite simple. Turn on the ignition and crank the engine while looking into the fuel filler hole; if you can see and hear fuel sloshing around it is the pipe off.
Mine came apart on a ride a couple of years ago. I went over a rough rail crossing and the bike just stopped running but I wasn't as lucky as you Duccout. I was far from home and by myself so I had to remove the tank and do the fix beside the road. Still wasn't that hard to do. I was lucky that a guy who lived nearby stopped in his car to help then ran home and grabbed me a hose clamp (jubilee clip?) to reattach the line. I was planning on doing the deed with safety wire to try and limp the bike home since that was all I had with me on the bike. That hose clamp is still in my tank.

You don't even need to crank the engine, just open the filler cap and turn on the key and you will hear the fuel spraying around inside the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
+1, had to fix mine on a lonely Canadian highway. Easier than changing a fuel filter, but you want to do it in the shop!

Hope this is "all" it is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello All

Thank you all for joining this thread.

I have not had the time to troubleshoot the bike yet.

That said I did the Corse Dynamics fuel base conversion I while back. I did the check that small pipe and at the time I did secure it well.

I also did change the RR to a Shindengen mosfet.

Last week the engine did stall after a right turn in a cross section. I then thought I might had done something wrong.... though I could not figure out what. Anyway I did start the engine normally after 1 second while coasting.

I have not paid any attention to the incident last week since the bike started just fine yesterday and the bike went very well the first 160 km (100 miles).

What happened yesterday afternoon was that the engine just stopped. No warning nor did the engine cough before it stopped. Just bla bla bla bla and I did pull over.

I did try to start the engine maybe 8-10 times. I think I did notice a smell of fuel in the exhaust after the the start attempts.

......so all in all I do suspect it is an electrical issue.

First I will try to see if the spark plugs do spark.

I will report back and I might need some help to search for the issue.

Ciaoooooo

Moller

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Moller,

One common fault is failure of the injector relay, you can just fit a new one to test it or swop the headlamp relay over for a quick test.
Hello Duccout

I will try that.

I know the injection relay and I have just heard it clicking when the ignition is turned on. But that does not mean that i works...

Where is the headlamp relay placed. I have looked in the WM but I just can not locate it...

Ciaooo

Moller

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello All :smile2:

My bike do run again......

That is great news I think - but I am SO confused since I have not located the problem 100%.

I did check the spark plugs - all good - very fine spark.

Then I did concentrate on the injection. I did the exact same procedure as beloW:

(Oct 13th, 2018):

Hello All

.....sometimes miracles do happens.....

During last winter I did upgrade the OEM fuel base to the Corse Dynamics CNC base with CPC metal quick release couplings.

I bought some acetal CPC couplings and some transparent fuel line in the beginning of this week. I would test if the fuel pump did pump a decent amount of fuel related to time. So by connecting the new CPC male coupling direct to the fuel pump female coupling in the fuel base I would be able to see the fuel pump pump fuel through the transparent fuel line to an external gas tank.

The pump did every well - all OK.

The next thing I would like to know was if the fuel pump could pump fuel through the fuel circuit. Again I did connect some transparent fuel line the the male coupling that normally goes in to the return coupling in the fuel base.

It worked very well. A lot of fuel was pump through the fuel circuit in to the external gas tank. Nice

The thing I now needed to know was it the pump could hold the required pressure in the fuel circuit.

I did borrow a fuel injector pressure gauge from my brother.

I did connect the pressure gauge in line with the fuel circuit as the last piece before the return coupling in the fuel base.

You can see the result here:

https://youtu.be/u40lEdqp3Xw

You know I have had trouble starting Sir Paul. So I was not prepared for it to start - at all.

I was only about to measure the fuel pressure.

I did still have covered the exhaust etc with towels because of the fuel dripping when connecting to the fuel base and so on.

But all in all my bike did start.

I still do not now what caused the starting problem but I suspect that the fuel injection nozzles was clogged due to the time in storage. Maybe all the testing with the fuel circuit have dissolved some residues at the nozzles?????

I am a happy man now

Ciaooooooo

Moller

So all in all the same problem as in fall 2018. Can the problem be caused by the signals to the injector nozzles, bad injector nozzles (but both at the same time???), fuel filter sometimes clogging up......

What do you think?

Ciaooo

Moller

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Off and on, members have had intermittent failures that left them stalled or running very poorly; and the culprit has been either water-in or not-fully-connected wire junctions. Particularly some of the big ones up by the front of the bike.

If you have the time, it might be worth it to unplug and inspect these connectors, a little condensation/contamination can cause big problems! (But they're easy to fix... :wink2:)

Glad to hear it's up and running, though!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
how many miles or KM does your bike have?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello All :)

Just an update regarding my fuel problems.

After searching the fuel system I did found out that the CPC Quick Release Metal Fuel Connector in the out port of the fuel flange was bad. Whether it was bad assembled or it did not have Viton O-rings I do not know. Either way the connector will restrict the fuel flow in some cases. The flow restriction is caused by swelling of the internal O-rings or if the O-ring not are seatet proberly. The inadequate or restricted fuel flow can cause engine stalling at throttle opening.

I did contact Motowheels but it seemed to be a loooong proces doing so, so I purchaced a new CPC Viton Connector at AFT Systems in Germany.

Now I have been riding my Paul Smart trouble free since I mounted the new CPC Viton Connector (1600km / 1000miles).

I am not the only one who have had troubles with the CPC Connectors. This thread https://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/616337-fun-new-fueling-issue-2.html did confirm I was on the right track.

All the best

Ciaooooooo

Moller

1 - 18 of 18 Posts