Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
It's just condensation (is that correct word ? my English isn't that good :eek:). Just let the engine get warm enough and it will disappear. It's "normal" if where you live you have high levels of humidity.

Doc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Condensation isn't good to have in the oil though as it can cause internal corrosion. You need to get the oil temp to above 85°C to stop it happening and if you can't get rid of it with your next run then change the oil. I've got the air-cooled motor and I've blanked the oil cooler with cardboard for the winter. This raised the oil temp by 15°C and stopped the condensation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What would radiator fluid in the oil look like?

·
Registered
78 Posts
foam

If it is a lot of water, you should standt test the cooling system. If not, don't worry about it. Just warm it up more before you shut it down to remove condensation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if this is it but when i put together LS1 Engines I have to use a white engine grease on the engine before the oil goes in, if I use to much then when i do an oil change for the first time then there's some whit grease in the oil (looks stringy) but does not hurt it. if this is a new bike and you have not changed the oil yet I would just wait till the 600 miles, if this is not your first oil change then I would think it was water and try the other comments

- my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I have a water-cooled ST2, and I have to wait 'til May to get the site glass to clear. It's "normal" for this time of the year, unless you live in S Cal. or S. FL, or Tx.

·
comrade moderator
26,775 Posts
ducati_999_ciao said:
05 999 White foam in oil can be seen in the sight glass. Is this normal?

You are in Ct.? Then you are starting the bike and letting it run, but not riding, (unless you have snow tires on it)?
Stop that.
The engine can't generate enough heat to evaporate all the moisture in the oil (and the exhaust system, etc), and you are doing more harm than good.

Hit the gas with some Stabil, change the oil and leave it alone till spring.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
goldwing70 said:
What would radiator fluid in the oil look like?
Coolant in your oil will make your oil look like a Chocolate milkshake. A little bit of condensation will give that white foam.

On the Desmos there is a water pump seal that can go bad and allow coolant to seep into the oil and also cause the whiteness. Not sure on the Testas

p.s. Damn I made a mistake forgetting this a Ducati board...A better description of coolant in oil would be a Non Fat Mocha Frappachino with no whipped cream.... :D

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Synergy said:
Coolant in your oil will make your oil look like a Chocolate milkshake. A little bit of condensation will give that white foam.
Indeed, I've had this happen on a KTM, when the water pump housing corroded and filled the crankcase with coolant, I wondered why the bike wouldn't start and then I discovered that the Radiators were dry and the sump was full of 'Milky Coffee' :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts