Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2013 MTS1200S with 33k mile on it and figured as this is my second Ducati and I am a mechanic to some extent (former service manager for Yamaha, Polaris, and Kawi dealer), I would "get to know" my bike over the winter by doing the timing belts, valve clearance, etc.
After replacing the belts and checking the valve clearance (in spec...phew!) I proceeded to reassemble. Plugs looked fine, serviced the air filter (way overdue) and flushed/replaced the antifreeze. Used dielectric grease on all connectors and plug caps. Pulled the rear shock to realize it is not rebuild able. Then, when I went to start it....it ran for a bit. I shut it off to check the coolant level. Now, nothing. I have a no start. It cranks but will not fire. I am in the process of tearing everything back down to retrace my steps but could use some advice on any specifics some of you may have encountered that could be fighting me. my thoughts are:

Was I not supposed to oil the air filter (ducati high flow filter, full exhaust, tune boy) and fouled my plugs?
Was my timing off a notch on the belts? (it wouldn't have run, right?)
Did the dielectric grease in the plug caps screw with the spark?

I know this is all speculation but any advice is welcome. My other Ducati is a 2014 Hypermotard and at least that is functional to get me out on the road!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, difficult to diagnose from afar... And you have listed a fair few operations/sources of error.

Did you put dielectric grease on the points of contact? That's no good.

It's an insulator, i.e. Die electric[ity]! It's to keep moisture from entering the connection, thereby preventing corrosion. It does not, promote conductivity. (unless you have another kind of course!)
Then again, it did start once.

Do you at least have spark now?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Good question, I’ve never used a Ducati filter. ARE you supposed to oil it ? Did you just spray it or what ? It’s definitely possible to over do it even on a filter you’re supposed to oil.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Good question, I’ve never used a Ducati filter. ARE you supposed to oil it ? Did you just spray it or what ? It’s definitely possible to over do it even on a filter you’re supposed to oil.
In general the oiled filters are not a good choice for street use (frequent maintenance required and even with maintenance they don't filter as well as traditional oem filters)... was the filter labelled "offroad" or "race" use?

I guess I'd be a bit surprised if Ducati sold an oiled filter (except maybe as a race option).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, difficult to diagnose from afar... And you have listed a fair few operations/sources of error.

Did you put dielectric grease on the points of contact? That's no good.

It's an insulator, i.e. Die electric[ity]! It's to keep moisture from entering the connection, thereby preventing corrosion. It does not, promote conductivity. (unless you have another kind of course!)
Then again, it did start once.

Do you at least have spark now?
Gonna verify when I get home. Responding to the virus thing now but I am pretty sure I choked the hell out of it by oiling the Ducati performance filter (oops). Live and learn they say...
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is interesting to me. I'm in a similar situation (belts, valves, etc.) but I'm not quite ready to start mine up yet. I have the full Termi system with race ECU. It comes with a "special" filter thatt looks like it should be oiled, but mine was dry. I put it back that way but wasn't completely convinced that dry was right. Looks like I might have dodged a bullet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
No Ducati brand air filter will be oiled, this will have to be replaced. No modern bikes use oiled filters . You don't want dielectric grease in your spark plug caps, You'll need to clean that thoroughly

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,868 Posts
Not that it really matters but my 2006 999 came stock with oiled gauze filters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is interesting to me. I'm in a similar situation (belts, valves, etc.) but I'm not quite ready to start mine up yet. I have the full Termi system with race ECU. It comes with a "special" filter thatt looks like it should be oiled, but mine was dry. I put it back that way but wasn't completely convinced that dry was right. Looks like I might have dodged a bullet.
Yep. Just ordered a replacement. Add that to the wall of shame collection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Ducati brand air filter will be oiled, this will have to be replaced. No modern bikes use oiled filters . You don't want dielectric grease in your spark plug caps, You'll need to clean that thoroughly
Thanks. Done. Lesson learned. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't believe the statements "No Ducati brand air filter will be oiled" and "No modern bikes use oiled filters" are accurate. I have an 06' ST3 with a Ducati Performance brand air filter that I acquired back in 2012ish when I swapped the OEM set-up for the open airbox/DP ECU/after market mufflers. That filter is highly similar to a standard K&N filter that requires a light oiling after cleaning. I've been lightly oiling this DP filter since new with absolutely no starting or performance issues over the years. Additionally, it came new in the package lightly oiled. All of my vehicles have K&Ns so I'm aware of the amount of oil to add, should be lightly oiled. I use the K&N cleaner and oil when servicing the DP filter.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
There’s the key. Filters that require oiling come pre- oiled and wrapped in plastic. If it’s dry, or it looks like paper, DON‘T oil it. If it doesn’t have oiling instructions , DON’T oil it. Not oiling an gauze filter hurts nothing, oiling a paper filter ruins it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Here's an easier way to know ...if it's a re-usable air filter, you lightly oil it after cleaning it. If it's not re-usable (i.e. paper-based), you don't clean or oil it, you throw it away and get a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts