Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi looking at taking my rear wheel off to replace tire. Which way does the nut spin to take it off ? Clockwise or anticlockwise ?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Humpo,
The usual way, counterclockwise to loosen.

P.S. Tire is tyre down this way. Don't get sucked into the septic way.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I would suggest you get a 3/4" breaker bar and use a 4' cheater or an air gun. I've been using my 1/2" snapon breaker bar and it started to bend. Even keeping the spacer and shim greased, that nuts a bastard to get off. I also have to use a 2x4 in the wheel up against the swingarm as the brake won't hold it, when I'm trying by myself. The odd thing is, I torque it to 170 ft/lb's per spec. and you can tell the nut hasn't moved, because the wire keeper would be pinched if it had and it's always hard coming off. It must be something to do with the metals sticking together.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I do have a big bar just wanted to make sure I was not eliminate wrong was. Thanks Tim for the spelling correction. Does it matter that I'm getting the tyre from the states? So then it would be tire.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
I've got a heavy six foot metal pole my brother-in-law gave me. He uses them to break the lug nuts on his race car. I slide it down over the breaker bar, and can break loose the rear axle nut with one hand.

·
Temporary greeter
23,095 Posts
I've got a heavy six foot metal pole my brother-in-law gave me. He uses them to break the lug nuts on his race car. I slide it down over the breaker bar, and can break loose the rear axle nut with one hand.
Just be careful with that. You can lift the front wheel off the ground or drop it off the stand. It has happened.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Just be careful with that. You can lift the front wheel off the ground or drop it off the stand. It has happened.
Haven't noticed that tendancy. The first time I used the big bar on my 1100 multi, the nut gave away so easily I almost fell over forward from the amount of force I put on the bar. I keep the bikes on the sidestand, with my foot on the rear brake, and everything seems pretty stable. The axle nut will break free with just a good nudge on the end of the bar. Pretty anti-climatic really.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Humpo, let me know how the rattle gun works and what size air compressor you use. I think I need a bigger compressor, it has a 30 gallon tank but the regulator only goes to 100 pounds.

·
Registered
392 Posts
when I remove the nut, I stand facing the right side of the bike, hold the front brake with right hand, step on the rear brake with right foot, set my 40" breaker bar close to the 12 o'clock position and push away from my body with my left hand. It always works, and I can only bench press about 80 pounds. I always put moly grease on the threads when I re-assemble.

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Pull up from the front???
You can not put too much nev er seize on threads....

Loosen the big nut every 4 - 6 months or so , just to keep her loose...and lubed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts