Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle and I are looking for a multi-day track school to attend sometime this July or August. We both have about a decade of street experience, but neither of us have ever done a track day. He's in Carolina and I Michigan, so anything East Coast or Midwest is much preferred.

I know of a few in Ohio, some at Barber. Schwantz, Penguin, etc... Any advice would be excellent (especially rationale of why one vs another if you have experience with both). We're both looking to do this for fun, but I've also been kicking around the idea of picking up a track bike down the road if all goes well.

Also, I'm pretty studious so if there's good books/videos/things I can do to prepare please let me know.

·
Registered
268 Posts
+1 to CSS. I did Levels 1 & 2 at Infineon/Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway last April aboard the schools' S1KRR.

COMPLETELY changed my riding as far as vision skills and fine tuning my body position.

-Christian

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
I wouldn't think so. These aren't "race" schools, these are High Performance riding skills development and improvement schools.

If you want to go racing you'll still have to pick a club and as a first timer and do their own New Rider orientation to get a race license with that club.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Star School

I have done Star School and am looking to do it again this year. Excellent program for the occasional track day guy like me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did Keith Code's Super Bike School. It's not cheap, but I learned a lot and had a great time.

Motorcycle Riding School - California Superbike School
+1 - this is also the one I'm going to send my GF to. :) I recommended it to a friend of mine and she LOVED it. I could tell immediately after she got back that her cornering skills were at a level of most other street riders and then some. She now rides with us up front in my MC's fast group and she makes a few of us look like noobs. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
While I'm fairly certain that any of the major schools will be a worthwhile experience, CSS is going to be at a local track later this spring and I've been fixating on the sensory overload opportunity of the CSS 2 Day camp. Aside from the kidney I need to sell to make it happen, my only concern is that I'd rather be riding my bike for the class, which doesn't appear to be an option for the 2Day. For the riders that have been through it, any strong opinions on class bike vs own bike?

·
Motorcycle Addict
67 Posts
If I remember correctly their bike is included in the price, along with everything else but you do have the option to ride your own !!! But then the BMW is awesome !!! Give them a call the girls are real helpful !!!

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
While I'm fairly certain that any of the major schools will be a worthwhile experience, CSS is going to be at a local track later this spring and I've been fixating on the sensory overload opportunity of the CSS 2 Day camp. Aside from the kidney I need to sell to make it happen, my only concern is that I'd rather be riding my bike for the class, which doesn't appear to be an option for the 2Day. For the riders that have been through it, any strong opinions on class bike vs own bike?
Mr. Code posts here in his own section at the top of the Ducati Chat page...did you know that? Ask him there...

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have done the School at Mid-Ohio and also a Penguin trackday down at Barber. I came back from the Mid-Ohio school with a lot more information. At the time, the Mid-O novice classes were broken down into several skill levels and each group then had there own instructor/control rider. The day I did mine we had 6 groups on the track for novice. You got one on one instruction between each riding session with your control rider. It made learning what you were doing right and wrong so much easier as you got feedback from an accomplished rider after each session.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Chuckracer: No, I didn't realize Mr. Code had his own section. I'll have to investigate. Thanks for the point.

After my original post, I jumped into the CSS site and starting digging into their forum and they had already had a thread specifically addressing my question, imagine that. they provide good reasoning as to why they do what they do. it'll take some time to chew over whats the better choice. If only money and tracktime were limitless.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Code school, their's a reason they've been in business 30 years. First class operation, teaching methods are ideal for the street rider who's never been on the track before. I took the two day superbike camp last year at barber and learned a tremendous amount. DId level I and II, each lesson builds upon the previous drill through each level ditto each level builds up to the next level.

You will be amazed at the knowledge you come away with. not only that but the way they teach, they give you the tools to improve during regular track days.!

Chuckracer: No, I didn't realize Mr. Code had his own section. I'll have to investigate. Thanks for the point.

After my original post, I jumped into the CSS site and starting digging into their forum and they had already had a thread specifically addressing my question, imagine that. they provide good reasoning as to why they do what they do. it'll take some time to chew over whats the better choice. If only money and tracktime were limitless.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I've done CSS a couple of times, you won't be disappointed. I used my own bike each time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts