Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory Pirelli Scorpions are beginning to wear thin (yes, in the middle). But that's not to say that I've gotten some decent wear on the sides! Scuffs and wear are almost to the edge. Yipee!

I'm just shy of my first major service as well (3,000).

What do you guys find to be the best compromise on a decent wearing tire that still affords some resemblance of stick-ability?

I generally ride her on sporadic jaunts through the twisties where I live; but I'm a reborn rider after a 15 year hiatus from a Jap twin, so I've yet to get a knee down, nor do I consider myself a really good rider.

I'm not brand loyal, but I do get a discount at a major moto retailer in my area. I'm just looking for some "sound" advice from those who ride MTS's, and Ducs in particular, and not from someone squidly that spends their entire riding experinece above 100mph on one wheel in traffic.

Thanks.

Now WTF are chicken strips? :think:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pirelli Diablo Strada

I just switched from the stock Sync's to Pirelli Diablo Strada's. The Stradas give much bettter feedback and make my Multi handle like a proper Ducati. The syncs never felt fully planted to me.
I have around 1800 miles on the Stradas so far and am leaving for a 2000 mile trip to Laguna and back. So far tire wear is not noticeable.
Grip has been fine. I am a "pace" rider and don't use a lot of throttle on corner exit. So far no "slips". I have taken them to the edge of the tire with no worries. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Try this link for further info. http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=20256

Ride safe, Scott.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
tire choice

+1 on the pirelli diablo strada. I have them on my R1150r. It's heavier bike, has Ohlins front and rear, ridden at "pace" speeds also. But probably at a brisker pace than most bmw's. great tire for "sporty" sport touring.

3000 on them and they look good for another 3000, which for me is quite good. good stick, quick warm up, neutral steering, very nice roll into turns.

Have M1 sportec's on my 900ss and like them alot too, but shorter life than the strada's. But they get ridden harder too. Actually the rear life just got shortened even more by a nail, and I just had M3's fitted, no miles yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
chicken strips are unused strips on the edge of the tires... as in too chicken to lean it over and use the whole tire.

as for which tires to use.... tires are such a subjective thing... you have to use what works for you... what you feel comfortable on. mileage is going to depend on riding style... you can shred your tires doing a couple track days, or go easy on the street and last a couple years. i use dunlop qualifiers on my multi, but i'm not worried about mileage :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am running Conti Road Attacks on both my Multistrada and my ZRX1200 and love them. They are a steel-belted dual compound radial tire--harder in the middle for good life and softer on the sides for grip. They are a bit tough to spoon on the rims but great otherwise. They are wearing very well--actually it is amazing how well they last. Next time I might go to a Conti Sport Attack on the front (softer than the Road Attack) and keep the Road Attack on the rear, but probably only if I plan a track day. As it is, a lot of folks use the Road Attacks on track days and have zero complaints.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
and I am thinking about going back to Scorpions. I have Pilot Powers now.
if you are noticing significant difference in the wear pattern, thin in the middle, yet plenty of tread on the sides, maybe one of the dual compound tires would be a good choice.
really, any modern tire is better than whaat we all used to rave about years past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts