Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 749s I recently noticed my tire tread letting low, thus indicating I need new tires!! I live in south Florida the roads are boring and FLAT causing most of the wear to be focused directly in the middle, with some on the shoulder. What is the best tire all around... Cost, tread life, and performance!
Any help? and what are your thoughts in going to an 190/55 17 on the rear?

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I live in south Florida the roads are boring and FLAT causing most of the wear to be focused directly in the middle, with some on the shoulder.
You're wasting your money on any of the sport tires, as you won't use it for its designed use. You need a sport-touring tire. They will last longer, often give you better rain traction, and still can perform well enough for anything you will ever use it for. My recommendations would be the Pirelli Diablo Strada or the Michelin Roads (or Roads II), because those are the ones I have the most experience with. I do have experience with the Michelin Macadam x90 tires and the Bridgestone BT-020, and those would be fine, also....just not what I'd prefer. I think the Michelins last longer, but the Stradas are cheaper. I have some friends that swear by the Continental and Avon tires, though.

and what are your thoughts in going to an 190/55 17 on the rear?
A 190 is anywhere from $10-$30 more than a 180 tire. I view this the same as you running sport-orientated tires.....you'll simply be wasting your money.

I love the Pirelli Diablo. I live in an area with lots of canyons and awesome riding spots, and this tire is amazing.
....and not the ideal tire for riding on straight and flat roads in Florida.

I agree, though, as I've been using Diablos since they came out....and I was even using the Dragon and Dragon Evo before they were replaced with the Diablo. I still haven't tried a Rosso, yet. My understanding is that they are the replacement for the Diablo and not much different...mostly tread design.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rosso's are pretty good, i tracked with mine before.. I'm on rosso's in my avatar pic.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Rosso's are pretty good, i tracked with mine before.. I'm on rosso's in my avatar pic.

I'm in the middle of a Rosso review right now which will be posted on my site after I have completed the track portion later this month.

·
Super Moderator
26,563 Posts
I'd bet easily 90% of sportbike riders are on way too sticky a tire for how they actually ride.

Diablo Strada's are amazing tires. For a "sport touring" tire, they sure do get hot and sticky when pushed hard, and reportedly give excellent mileage to boot. I had them on my 749, and will probably use them on my KTM this season. Highly recommended.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I'd bet easily 90% of sportbike riders are on way too sticky a tire for how they actually ride.

Diablo Strada's are amazing tires. For a "sport touring" tire, they sure do get hot and sticky when pushed hard, and reportedly give excellent mileage to boot. I had them on my 749, and will probably use them on my KTM this season. Highly recommended.
I agree. I have lapped people at trackdays on Pilot Powers whilst they shredded their SCIII's

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also check out the pilot road 2 if you plan to ride some twistys. They are a newer duel compound tire that has a harder touring compound in the center and a more agressive, softer compound on the edge. I have about 2K on my first set and they look dam near new minus a bit of feathering on the edges. I just ride on the street and have never had any grip issues with them.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Also check out the pilot road 2 if you plan to ride some twistys....I have about 2K on my first set and they look dam near new minus a bit of feathering on the edges.
We have them on my wife's Monster 900 and she rides that bike a lot less agressively than her other bikes. The rear tire is less than half the original tread with about 2500 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Tires threads are the same as oil threads. The new 190/55 tires are more expensive and I hear are a better choice than a 180/55. I am going to try this 190/55 on my 999 and make up my own mind. The profile should be about the same but with a larger contact patch between the road and the rear wheel.
It will also raise the rear putting more weight on the front wheel, hopefully giving a better feel of the front end.

I'll tell you how I like it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tires threads are the same as oil threads. The new 190/55 tires are more expensive and I hear are a better choice than a 180/55. I am going to try this 190/55 on my 999 and make up my own mind. The profile should be about the same but with a larger contact patch between the road and the rear wheel.
It will also raise the rear putting more weight on the front wheel, hopefully giving a better feel of the front end.

I'll tell you how I like it.

190/ 50 works awesome to me!!!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Also check out the pilot road 2 if you plan to ride some twistys. They are a newer duel compound tire that has a harder touring compound in the center and a more agressive, softer compound on the edge. I have about 2K on my first set and they look dam near new minus a bit of feathering on the edges. I just ride on the street and have never had any grip issues with them.
+1, they are great tires.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
180 is the way to go, stay away from 190.

a little light reading :)

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=29752
A TWO POUND difference between tire brands for the same size tire?!??!?

Why oh why don't we know how much these tires weigh? Their weights should be listed along with all the other data, for each size of course.

My opinion is use the smallest and lightest tire you can get away with on your bike.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You're wasting your money on any of the sport tires, as you won't use it for its designed use.
For me, being not very experienced, I appreciate the extra traction that a sport tire provides in case I make a mistake and need the extra traction. It's cheap insurance in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
But the 190 looks so cool, and I thought that was the point, right? I think I have some soul searching to go do today...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts