Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question really-
When I bought this bike, I was told it was the full TI system with the flat box. But How can I tell if it is TI/TI or the TI/SS or just plain SS. The pipes have a golden sort of look to them and seem to be TI, but honestly I can't tell the difference too much. The under tailpipe box looks more grey for sure- SS? but maybe they are all like that.

BTW- no paperwork on the MX so can't look it up.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
All the DP termi systems have SS pipes, if it's a "titanuim" system, the muffer will be Ti. Unpolished SS turns a golden hue with heat as opposed to Ti which tends to turn blue. Look at the welds.. they will have a bluish/rainbow effect if it's Ti.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the DP termi systems have SS pipes, if it's a "titanuim" system, the muffer will be Ti. Unpolished SS turns a golden hue with heat as opposed to Ti which tends to turn blue. Look at the welds.. they will have a bluish/rainbow effect if it's Ti.
Thanks- any tell tale signs to let you know if the muffler is TI or not? Everything seems to be covered up with one thing or another.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Try a magnet.

Titanium is NOT magnetic but stainless steel IS.

//amullo

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's it for sure. Thanks

I didn't want to tell people the wrong thing when they ask about the pipes.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Some SS is magnetic some isn't, it depends on the content (particularly the Nickel). My stainless Termi pipes are not magnetic.
SS is generaly very slightly magnetic i.e. 304, 413, ect. not enough to tell without small shavings and rare earth magnets.

Some SS alloys that have a higher ferrous metal content would be more magnetic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts