Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO HI all

I am in the market for a 92-98 Supersport and own 2 other ducatis already 01 996S and 07 Sport 1000S.

Which will be the most fun ?
I have access to
1998 FE , a few for sale
1997 SP , nice and clean
1997 CR yellow :)
1996 SP , also stock and clean
1993 SS , a couple of them
1992 SS , in black with white frame.

So , let em rip and let me know?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The FE would be my first choice. Most upgrades have been done at the factory and has a fair amount of bling straight from the factory also. Earlier models have issues with frames cracking at the headset. I am a fan of the half faired CRs, so the yellow 97 would be hard to pass up also.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
sounds as if he is after the look and feel of the carbed supersport as an
additon to his stable, not a replacement, so the new bike has not to
outperform the 1000DS equipped sport classic i think.

:)

The FE would be my first choice. Most upgrades have been done at the factory ... Earlier models have issues with frames cracking at the headset.
the frames are all the same, aren't they ?
that means '98 FE frames will crack as much as others of that modell range,
same with the new replacement frames that are not crack safe still.

:think:

I'd get the '98 FE for sure, they look great, old bikes have pretty weak
front axles. ( 'til '94 )

:think:

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I owned a '97 SS/SP that I bought new in Spring '98. Possibly the best bike I ever owned. Lost it to a Civic driver in '01. Bought a '96 SS/SP in '01 and it was a disaster. It had only 5K mi. but all the problems like cracked frame, bad valve guides, scored cyclinders, etc. After I did all the fixes (944 kit, HC pistons, lightened flywheel, flatslides, etc.) it was awesome. Took both of those bikes cross country and they were reliable, comfortable and fun.

My advice is to buy an SP and the '97/98 are the best of the bunch IMHO.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
'98 FE, or '97 SP, which I'm partial to since I have one and they are red! I like the look of the CR 1/2 fairings so I put some on my SP, but other than that, there is nothing else better about the CR (except price, but either SP or CR are pretty inexpensive these days).
Joe

·
Registered
818 Posts
You're going to get a lot of opinionated responses, especially from SL and FE owners, but the simple truth it, it doesn't matter. Buy for condition and upgrades/updates that matter to you. There were no factory updates over the years that made any real difference ('sept frames). The so-called Superlight, is 3lbs lighter because of the solo tail. They didn't do anything, except yellow paint and solo tail. The same truth goes for the FE. So, don't pay the premium unless you gotta have the paint. Sorry SL and FE guys.

The only truly defining difference, is that the SPs, SLs and FE all had the aluminum swingarm and the 888's FA front end, with CF fender and iron full floaters.

But, SS's need quite a bit of work to reach their full potential. Look for one with suspension attended to (aftermarket shock is essential to get the tail up), Dyna coils/electrical upgrades, strong clutch and fastidious matinenance.

Mine's Knocking on the high side of 30k and although she's been a lot more work than the R1 for example, she's never let me down on the road, and she makes a ton more power, handles better and just plain does everything better the more I do!

I will not get rid of this motorcycle.

Here's profile and pics:
http://registry.ducatispot.com/profile/1369/900-ss/

·
Registered
207 Posts
To me, a lot of joy comes from working on the bike. If you are like this too you can find a more "used" Carbie and do the upgrades yourself knowing that the parts are new and reliable. That being said, there are a lot of good deals to be had with the upgrades completed. It is almost always cheaper to buy the bike with the upgrades already done but then what fun is that?:):):)

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
The only truly defining difference, is that the SPs, SLs and FE all had the aluminum swingarm and the 888's FA front end, with CF fender and iron full floaters.

Mine's Knocking on the high side of 30k and although she's been a lot more work than the R1 for example, she's never let me down on the road, and she makes a ton more power, handles better and just plain does everything better the more I do!

I will not get rid of this motorcycle.

Here's profile and pics:
http://registry.ducatispot.com/profile/1369/900-ss/

AS I recall the SP rear wheel is wider than the CR. Both my SS's did 30K with no problems. Lost them for other reasons. :(

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
^ correct...additionally (which is probably covered in the link above): data plate (numbered production) on the triple, remote brake/clutch reservoirs, adjustable front Showa forks, carbon hugger, carbon fender....

what am i really trying to say? of the ones you mention, SP or FE for certain.

best success :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
after doing a bit of research i had to have an FE.reinforced frame,at the steering head i believe.the later motor that went into the 99ie only with carbs.these have the better bimetal valves that started in 97. the upgraded cylinder liner,may have begun in 97. the better primary drive gears.internal oil lines,3phase 520w alternator, cast iron rotors. carbon fiber etc. the 900 motors all improved in detail as the years progressed.i still don't know what to think about the 1000ds.more power but hotter running from what i've seen.some of the "improvements"look to me more like cost cutters and to improve production efficency. i want one:eek:but i will never sell my FE.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SO HI all

I am in the market for a 92-98 Supersport and own 2 other ducatis already 01 996S and 07 Sport 1000S.

Which will be the most fun ?
I have access to
1998 FE , a few for sale
1997 SP , nice and clean

So , let em rip and let me know?
Thanks to all who have contributed , appreciate the objective views.

So looks like I have the ability to also choose a 851 , amongst the list above.
I had already narrowed it down to the FE or the 96/97 SP but now the 851 has come up. It need a bit of bodywork , and about from adding a Carby to the pack , I need something I can tinker with , I tried that with the 996S but turned out to be 4000mi time capsule and is still brand spankin new , so I want to pick something up that I can fix/restore , enjoy and enrich the pedigree of the stallions in the stable.

So , wadda ya think ?

·
Registered
454 Posts
1998 FE , a few for sale
1997 SP , nice and clean
I like FE's, they had everything any of the others had plus a unique colour that I love (why would anyone paint one away from original???), that would be my preference if you don't plan on carrying a pillion.

As for the rest, I would put the CR at the end of the list, and from there the later the better basically, over the years the basic bikes are the same though but little things got improved some of the weaknesses the early bikes had. So the '96 or '97 SP's would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
FE's still aren't that much more money than a '96 or '97 SS/SP, so if you like the silver I'd go for it. It's basically has every update that the carbie bikes got.

Thanks to all who have contributed , appreciate the objective views.

So looks like I have the ability to also choose a 851 , amongst the list above.
I had already narrowed it down to the FE or the 96/97 SP but now the 851 has come up. It need a bit of bodywork , and about from adding a Carby to the pack , I need something I can tinker with , I tried that with the 996S but turned out to be 4000mi time capsule and is still brand spankin new , so I want to pick something up that I can fix/restore , enjoy and enrich the pedigree of the stallions in the stable.

So , wadda ya think ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
FE's still aren't that much more money than a '96 or '97 SS/SP, so if you like the silver I'd go for it. It's basically has every update that the carbie bikes got.
'97 SS/SP. With the $$ you save over the FE (which DO demand a significant premium - see eBay right now) you could buy a solo seat and make your SS a "convertible" ;) plus the FE doesn't have any really substantive advantage over the SS/SP except in "collectability".

Although if you have a shot at a nice 851 I'd take that in a heartbeat... :cool:

Cheers,

d.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
after doing a bit of research i had to have an FE.reinforced frame,at the steering head i believe.the later motor that went into the 99ie only with carbs.
I'd like a proof for the frame theory, i believe they are all the same
with no reinforcements at not time for no bike of the line.

i.e. engines had different camshafts.

·
Registered
322 Posts

my FE has a plate on top of the steering head. do the others?yes hotter cams on the ie. i miss that top end rush my 99 had but the carbie makes more up to 7000rpm where i am 99% of the time.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
They are all pretty much the same bike.The deciding factor should be condition,upgrades,and price.The earlier 900's had some frame cracking issues and cyl. stud breakage problems but unless you find an almost unused bike those problems will have been addressed.The FE's look real nice but if you are going to modify things paint is an easy thing to change.If the black 92 is orig. it is sort of a rare piece and may increase in value in some years.As for the 851's if you want something to play with and spend lots of money on they are great but parts are kind of hard to find anymore.

·
Registered
150 Posts

I have seen 97's with a brace at the headset where the tank hold down bolts to. I was told that the frame was a stock frame from the factory ( not a replacement ). I still question if the brace is sufficient to stop the cracking.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts