Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to fit slip-on termi cans,ecu and mod. air box lid to my 09 hyper.Anybody got any suggestions on a high flow air filter to add in as well.?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've read that the stock air filter dynos higher than aftermarket, all things being equal.

I don't remember where I read it. Consider it heresay. Smarter people will chime in.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I put in a BMC, not necessarily to get more flow but to save money in the long run. I would rather clean a filter than buy multiple paper filters. Take the aftermarketers' HP gain claims with a grain of salt.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have a DNA filter in mine and it is a nice filter. The only problem I have with them is that the wire mesh on the outside of the filter tends to get bent/mashed in a couple areas when inserting the filter into the airbox. This is primarily due to a weird airbox setup, but over the long run could be a problem.

I have about 5K on my bike and have checked the filter a couple times. Last time I checked it, it wasn't noticeably dirty. I guess I will check it again at 5K and run it until 7500 if it isn't bad.

Personally, I would like to see a dry flow sythentic filter for these. I run AEMs in my Duramax and wife's Tahoe and just put one in my Teryx. On the Duramx and Teryx they seem to collect a lot of dust when I am offroad. They are a very good filter and clean up with soap and warm water. Drop it back in and you are good to go. You could probably make a universal AEM fit with a set of aftermarket stacks.

Out!

·
Registered
605 Posts
My bike pulled crap through a properly oiled and installed K&N in the stock airbox. The inside of the airbox was coated with dust, pissed me off. K&Ns have been known to do this, and the small filter area makes it worse. I went with the Ducshop velocity stack kit, this being a big reason, but the added power doesn't hurt either.:D It comes with large K&N pod filters, but I also made up my own custom foam prefilters. Works and sounds great, and I should be able to just prop up the front of the tank to pull the foams off for cleaning when needed.

For the stock airbox, I think I'd open it up more and go back to the paper filter, and see how that works. Too bad Amsoil doesn't make a filter for the HM, had one in my VRod and they both flow and filter great.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
BMC good filter!

BMC here, cleanable & highflow, should be about the same as the DNA or K&N, it works excellent, with no sigh of any debi or dust in the airbox. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What is that mate?
How much and whats the guff on it???Ready to buy sumthing now

It's taking the open airbox cover sold with Termi a step further.
And from what i understand on their website, once you installed it, there's no step back as you have to drill holes in the airbox to install the new filter.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The filter I posted earlier is made by MWR in the Neatherlands. My distribution company, mota-lab, is the exclusive US distributor. We are just getting going and will have filters up on the site shortly once they are in stock. I do have one of these hyper airbox lid type filters in stock - looking for a hyper to test with (anyone around Louisville, KY up for it?)

About the filter. It is an aluminum frame, single layer, completely fire resistant foam filter. I don't have a graph yet on this one, but MWR said it has a really nice gain over stock (obviously tuning is required for a change like this). I do have some other graphs that show MWR making more power than several top filters such as pipercross, DNA, BMC, etc...

It uses biodegradable filter oil which is also fire resistant. The filter needs to be cleaned/oiled once a year or most riding. As you probably already know foam filters that are oiled are fantastic at filtration...

MWR offers another versions that is more similar to the DP piece, except includes the top aluminum piece for mounting to the airbox.

A ton more info will be posted here shortly: http://www.mota-lab.com/mwr-air-filters-c-78.html

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Too bad they don't make the filter longer so that the people who have drilled out the bottom hole on their airbox can use it. :( Aloha Alex

·
Registered
605 Posts
I always prefer a foam filter to a guaze filter, thats why I added a foam sleeve treated with No-Toil filter oil over my K&Ns. It looks like that MWR lid filter system adds a lot of filter area. Alex, with all that motor work why not just go for the Ducshop stack kit? Its a difference you can really feel, even on a bike like mine with just an exhaust and ECU.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I always prefer a foam filter to a guaze filter, thats why I added a foam sleeve treated with No-Toil filter oil over my K&Ns. It looks like that MWR lid filter system adds a lot of filter area. Alex, with all that motor work why not just go for the Ducshop stack kit? Its a difference you can really feel, even on a bike like mine with just an exhaust and ECU.
I have some Hyper buddies that are using the Ducshop and TPO intakes, this a great HP mod, but I just don't like the NOISE! its really loud, so loud that Marco(DaBull) was blacked flagged at Laguna Raceway for noise! & he was running the stock mufflers!
My next mod will be the intake stacks, but for now I'll wait, as my MOTOR OF DEATH is so FAST down the straightaways, that I have a unfair advantage over my Hyper buddies, so until their bikes get faster or I get fatter, I think I'll wait, but thanks for the info though, Aloha Alex

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have some Hyper buddies that are using the Ducshop and TPO intakes, this a great HP mod, but I just don't like the NOISE! its really loud, so loud that Marco(DaBull) was blacked flagged at Laguna Raceway for noise! & he was running the stock mufflers!
Alex
I like the muffled stock airbox, too. Exhaust noise is one thing and intake noise
is another. I even have a removable black hi-density foam lid that covers the
hole in the top of the DP airbox lid when I want to just cruise the neighborhood
hills. Maybe it's all those years of playing stringed instruments, but to me this
motor doesn't sound all that "in tune" chuffing through the intake every time I
back off the throttle. If I'm out on a serious ride with earplugs and other loud
bikes, sure, make the ground tremble. But when I'm having a peaceful evening
jaunt, give me a muted rumble from the exhaust and the whirr of the belt drives
and that's all I need to hear.

Hopefully, Laguna's annoying sound policy can keep the facility open in the
face of grouchy neighbors, unlike a lot of SoCal racetracks now long gone...
Don't you hate it when idiots move in near a race track and then complain
that they can hear it?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I like the muffled stock airbox, too. Exhaust noise is one thing and intake noise
is another. I even have a removable black hi-density foam lid that covers the
hole in the top of the DP airbox lid when I want to just cruise the neighborhood
hills. Maybe it's all those years of playing stringed instruments, but to me this
motor doesn't sound all that "in tune" chuffing through the intake every time I
back off the throttle. If I'm out on a serious ride with earplugs and other loud
bikes, sure, make the ground tremble. But when I'm having a peaceful evening
jaunt, give me a muted rumble from the exhaust and the whirr of the belt drives
and that's all I need to hear.

Hopefully, Laguna's annoying sound policy can keep the facility open in the
face of grouchy neighbors, unlike a lot of SoCal racetracks now long gone...
Don't you hate it when idiots move in near a race track and then complain
that they can hear it?
So true, its just like when homeowners started to move into the city of Chino, which was mostly cow farms, then they started to complain about the smell......

What material did you use to cover the airbox hole? still breath OK? do you have to take the tank off to get to it? Thanks Alex

1 - 20 of 23 Posts