Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sold my Streetfigher and I'm looking to pick up a Multi. The question is, which one?

Hypothetical:

1. 2010 S model, 20k miles, approx $7000.
2. 2013 Pikes Peak, 15-20k miles, exhaust and aftermarket upgrades, approx $11-13k.
3. 2015 S Touring, Termis, other nice upgrades, 15k miles, $13k.

I have an understanding of the different models, just so many pros and cons.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My vote would be #1. I love my '10. Ohlins, Termi and Desmo = bliss. Buy in is so cheap right now too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just sold my Streetfigher and I'm looking to pick up a Multi. The question is, which one?

Hypothetical:

1. 2010 S model, 20k miles, approx $7000.
2. 2013 Pikes Peak, 15-20k miles, exhaust and aftermarket upgrades, approx $11-13k.
3. 2015 S Touring, Termis, other nice upgrades, 15k miles, $13k.

I have an understanding of the different models, just so many pros and cons.
2015 for sure

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you guys didn't make this much easier.

1. On the 2010, should I be worried about the heads or is this something that Ducati is still covering under a recall? The price is very attractive. Would I really have that much more fun on the Pikes Peak or the DVT?

2. Pikes Peak does have some emotional appeal and both of the ones I'm looking at have a lot of tasteful mods that I would probably do on my own at some point anyway. Plus, twin spark, skyhook, etc. I think the cheapest I could get either is probably $10k.

3. Is the added money for the 2015 really worth the DVT, upgraded dash, cruise, etc? I think I can get it for a little less than $13,000, but I'll have some travel expenses involved in getting it back home.

·
comrade moderator
27,355 Posts
Bike 1: I wouldn't sweat that. The bike is 8 years old and has 20k on it - it's proven. If it was going to have a problem, it would have by now. Full service records? They would show this as haven been taken care of. Full service history is almost mandatory on any Ducati.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
I don’t think there’s a ton more (if any, really) fun factor on the 2015 and I’ve ridden them. Cruise can be added electronically to the 2013 and possibly 2010 with TuneBoy. Dash is personal preference and I could go either way.

With either the 2010 or 2013, they NEED to have had the Desmo service done by 15k miles. The 2015 will be due in about 3,000 miles and that’s a spendy service and maybe why it’s priced the way it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For me personally I would go with the 2015. I have a Multi for my long distance, two up sport touring rig. The new DVT’s are much better for that mission IMO. I have a Panigale for sporty, short distance and riding without a passenger.

I think it depends on the role the bike plays. The older 1200s on your list are great bikes and a little more raw and sporty in my view. The new DVT’s are much nicer to be on in more environments though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Buy Once Cry Once

This advice was given to me the other day and I liked it, as I was on the ADV Rider thread eyeing the 17 ktm 690 enduro with the older generation engine because it is on sale. I opted to wait for the 19.

Back to the Multi - I have a 16 MTS S Touring that I love. (same as the 15)

I drove the new DVT and immediately sold my Mint 09 MTS for a financial beating.

The difference in the low RPM performance was what sold me. As well as all the new tech on the bike.

I opted for the Skyhook over the Ohlins on the PP as I do not use the bike to race.

It really becomes I financial decision and what your needs are. If you can afford the newer bike and plan on keeping it for a long time most consider it an upgrade.

There are a ton of more aggressive riders that like the less refined engine - pre DVT. The dash is very nice on the DVT and the active suspension and cornering ABS/Traction control are also valuable to me.

When I buy used bikes I have learned to factor in things like new tires, sprockets and chain, when the service interval is up next (especially the big one on the DUC's) you also have to give value to any of the add on's that have been done if you are going to buy them anyway - they add up fast. If the Termi on the 15 is the full system and not just the can that is highly desirable and worth 3k installed. I covet it.

That would also eliminate the only flaw on this bike of the minor power dip that was improved after each remap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts